• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moveover Texas... We're coming through....

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Montana legislators mull 85 mph speed limit

Big Sky Country could soon be the land of high speeds.

Four Montana lawmakers have proposed raising the state?s maximum speed limit from 75 mph to 80 or 85 mph and are working on bills to introduce during next year?s legislative session, the Missoulian reports.

State Senator Scott Sales of Bozeman, who favors an 85 mph limit, told the newspaper he?s been working across the state in the Bakken oil fields near the North Dakota border and that the higher limit would shave an hour off his 400-plus mile trip.

State Representative Mike Miller adds that neighboring states with similarly wide open stretches of road have increased their limits to 80 mph with apparent success.

?Utah, Wyoming and Idaho have all done it. Nevada is looking at it, too. I didn?t see any problems in the other states,? Miller said.

Texas currently boasts the nation?s highest speed limit of 85 mph on a stretch of State Highway 130 between San Antonio and Austin.

Prior to the imposition of a national 55 mph limit in 1974, and again from 1995-1998, many of Montana?s roads had no numerical speed limit during the day, with signs suggesting drivers maintain a ?reasonable and prudent? speed. However, a 1998 state supreme court decision ruled that this description was too vague and violated the due process protections of the state constitution, which led to the establishment of a 75 mph speed limit in the following year.

However, even in the days of the national limit, most violators were issued a fine of just $5 for wasting natural resources in order to keep the state in compliance with federal law, and today?s fines are still among the lowest in the nation.

Montana Highway Patrol Col. Tom Butler told the Missoulian that he couldn?t comment on the bills until he's seen them, but says driving faster reduces reaction time and makes stopping more difficult.

I can not explain it, but when I have been in Europe and driving at autobahn speeds, it seemed normal. Here in the US, it scares me to death. :scratch

I-10 in WTX has the 80 MPH thing going on and seems a prudent speed in the wide open.

This stretch of SH 130 is also relatively new and not a lot of use compared to it's parallel IH-35 corridor which is always full and tense to travel between San Antonio and Austin...folks dislike paying for a faster safer alternative, however it is how a highway can get funded and built way quicker than waiting on TXDOT.

PB230036-M.jpg

Now I choose NOT to ride a motorcycle out here after dark...feral hogs used to the highway not being here have caused some issues.

I guess (correction, know) that I am getting old, but I wonder if higher and higher speed limits are a great idea. They recently raised many speed limits on major highways here in BC 10 kph. I think that in the daytime, with good traction conditions, a higher speed may indeed be safe - when traffic is sparse. But at 85 mph (does that mean you can actually run 95 mph without fear of a speeding ticket?) you are certainly going to burn a lot more fuel per mile than at 70 mph. Those high speeds are NOT safe when traction is dicey, as in rain. And are they posting a lower night time speed limit?

If you have been following the threads on deer strikes, one of the astonishing things is, given how many there are in a year, how few people in cars or trucks (but NOT motorcyclists) are killed or injured. Hit any large animal at 85 mph and I suspect all the air bags in the world won't save you.

One of the things we have learned is that we are probably safest when most vehicles are travelling about the same speed. Will there not be many older cars and most big trucks that cannot do 85 mph?

Just some food for thought for those of you who would like to legally go fast. Not that riders will have much of a say.

I got to visit a state trooper doing 5 over in WTX...his first question was "80 not fast enough for you?"
On that 85 posted road, 5 over seems fine as I paced behind a sheriff doing same and he waved as he slowed to exit.
The /6 can do this speed, but I choose not to :D My K bike feels at home

We used to have daytime/night limits, not anymore after they claim years of data justified the change.Trucks had to use the night limit at all times which caused that difference in speed and issues when they were side by side for miles.

The biggest issue talked about is NOT using cruise control on wet roads. The hydroplaning caused enough wrecks and fatalities, they mention it on the commuters traffic reports...sometimes.
I think modern vehicles and tires are also engineered for these conditions, some of our aging brains and reaction times are not.
I have come up on folks still going 55 in the pasing lane and it happens quickly.
They (TXDOT) are widening a lot of two lane state roads that had no shoulder and upping limits from 55mph to 65...which is kind of where they were pre energy crisis 55.See nothing wrong with that much needed change on many low volume roads.

You would think common sense to adjust to conditions would prevail, however, even at the old 55, folks would come blasting by in fog or rain where you couldn't see two stripes ahead ...def scary stuff.

...you are certainly going to burn a lot more fuel per mile than at 70 mph.

Most people are clueless about fuel economy. The faster you go, the more fuel you will use, and it is not a linear relationship. I cringe when I see states raising speed limits. Most drivers are already going too fast, and now the government encourages people to go even faster? That's irresponsible. Remember, the government makes money off of gasoline taxes.

And good luck hitting a deer, antelope, moose, coyote, bear, elk, or wild horse @ 85mph.

Harry

Montana legislators mull 85 mph speed limit

Big Sky Country could soon be the land of high speeds.

Four Montana lawmakers have proposed raising the state?s maximum speed limit from 75 mph to 80 or 85 mph and are working on bills to introduce during next year?s legislative session, the Missoulian reports.

State Senator Scott Sales of Bozeman, who favors an 85 mph limit, told the newspaper he?s been working across the state in the Bakken oil fields near the North Dakota border and that the higher limit would shave an hour off his 400-plus mile trip.

State Representative Mike Miller adds that neighboring states with similarly wide open stretches of road have increased their limits to 80 mph with apparent success.

?Utah, Wyoming and Idaho have all done it. Nevada is looking at it, too. I didn?t see any problems in the other states,? Miller said.

Texas currently boasts the nation?s highest speed limit of 85 mph on a stretch of State Highway 130 between San Antonio and Austin.

Prior to the imposition of a national 55 mph limit in 1974, and again from 1995-1998, many of Montana?s roads had no numerical speed limit during the day, with signs suggesting drivers maintain a ?reasonable and prudent? speed. However, a 1998 state supreme court decision ruled that this description was too vague and violated the due process protections of the state constitution, which led to the establishment of a 75 mph speed limit in the following year.

However, even in the days of the national limit, most violators were issued a fine of just $5 for wasting natural resources in order to keep the state in compliance with federal law, and today?s fines are still among the lowest in the nation.

Montana Highway Patrol Col. Tom Butler told the Missoulian that he couldn?t comment on the bills until he's seen them, but says driving faster reduces reaction time and makes stopping more difficult.

Deja Vue all over again.

Went to the Missoula Rally in 1998 and heard everyone complaining about the speeding tickets they got in the construction zones.

Just another answer to a non-issue.

:doh
Seems to be a east/west of the Mississippi state of mind.

It was all about fuel savings in the 70's when 55mph was the national standard. Many 70 and 65 roads were slowed, seems we are just returning to prudent open spaces limits.
Hitting anything on a motorcycle at any speed is a risk we assume as riders.

Modern fuel injected engines and aerodynamics surely change the mpg formulas. I do agree more fuel is burned, but not at a gigantic leap. On many trips where 220 miles at 65 mph was our average, the same trip at 80 only lost about 20 miles of range...I' m ok with that to get on down the road.

It's ok if you don't want to go that fast, I avoid the interstates for the slower paced highways for the most part, but some open range roads are head scratchingly regulated from back in the day.

Sure, 80-85 MPH speed limits would be a bad idea in most of PA and many other eastern states. Congestion and road surface conditions have been an issue in my trips thru PA. I have family in the Wilkes-Barre area and in Ohio, so we've made a few crossings. But in a state like MT the higher speeds do not present an unreasonable risk in my opinion and are justified by the distances people travel on a regular basis.

I was surprised to read a few months back that WY is the state where the cost of owning a car is the highest. While the other states that were near the top of the list generated their high costs through taxes, fuel costs, maintenance charges and insurance rates, Wyoming's high costs were attributted to the long distances people travel to reach day-to-day services and activities. All we want is the ability to raise the operating costs just a little by burning a bit more fuel to cruise at 85 MPH. Besides they are almost giving fuel away these days. :p

- I remember the fuel crisis of the 70's. I remember we were supposed to run out by the 80's 90's 2000? I guess aliens from a distant planet must have brought us more, or the crisis was manufactured by politicians.
- death for any reason is trajic but natural. We all gotta die sometime. Wringing your hands worrying about all the peoples who are going to die because their reaction time isn't qualified for an 85mph speed zone that they could chose to travel slower in is a waste of time and energy.
- Only a fool willing travels faster than he/she is comfortable traveling at. People routinely travel at much grater speeds in Boeing 777's no one spontaneously combusts into flames, most even feel comfortable going 350+ NMPH and don't give it a second thought. The facts support my supposition that speed does not kill. If it did there wouldn't be an astronaut alive today. Obviously than, something other than speed causes death when traveling. If we were responsible citizens and leaders I think it would make sense to identify and address the real issues to transportation safety.

There is a time and place for 85 out west where the land and the sky stretches forever in front of you... would be nice to have the option.

Sure, 80-85 MPH speed limits would be a bad idea in most of PA and many other eastern states. Congestion and road surface conditions have been an issue in my trips thru PA. I have family in the Wilkes-Barre area and in Ohio, so we've made a few crossings. But in a state like MT the higher speeds do not present an unreasonable risk in my opinion and are justified by the distances people travel on a regular basis.

I was surprised to read a few months back that WY is the state where the cost of owning a car is the highest. While the other states that were near the top of the list generated their high costs through taxes, fuel costs, maintenance charges and insurance rates, Wyoming's high costs were attributted to the long distances people travel to reach day-to-day services and activities. All we want is the ability to raise the operating costs just a little by burning a bit more fuel to cruise at 85 MPH. Besides they are almost giving fuel away these days. :p

My comment was directed at the prior attempt at this........lots of tickets issued in construction / mowing zones that lasted for very long stretches. One sign at the start and one at the end........in between nothing for many, many miles.

I don't really care what the speed limit is as long as people don't demand to that freedom while also asking the gov't to make gasoline and diesel as cheap as possible, especially, in SUV America. Sailing one of those behemoths at 80+ will make the gas gauge drop faster than my 401(k).

Deja Vue all over again.

Went to the Missoula Rally in 1998 and heard everyone complaining about the speeding tickets they got in the construction zones.

What month was the rally in ? I was in Montana in May of 98,.. spent a night in Missoula . My friends and I were passed by an MT trooper when we were doing 96 MPH [as per the photo my buddy Carl took of his speedo].....the trooper just waved ??

Forgot to mention...the speed limit at that time was reasonable & prudent...trucks after dark [and I think in rain as well] 65 ?

What month was the rally in ? I was in Montana in May of 98,.. spent a night in Missoula . My friends and I were passed by an MT trooper when we were doing 96 MPH [as per the photo my buddy Carl took of his speedo].....the trooper just waved ??

July, of course..........It was the national. Great time, by the way.

Now, who was the guy that posted the following.........

"A million strikes a year sounds way too high. At least that is what I thought until I did a search. Some insurance institute says 1.23 million during the period July 2011 - June 2012. Montana is third among the states in the number of collisions. Citters scare the hell out of me and make riding at night a nerve racking event. We had a couple hit four buffalo on the road to our place. They were unhurt, but on a bike it would likely been a different tale."

Is that guy going to feel safer hitting the Critters at 85? :)

I don't really care what the speed limit is as long as people don't demand to that freedom while also asking the gov't to make gasoline and diesel as cheap as possible, especially, in SUV America. Sailing one of those behemoths at 80+ will make the gas gauge drop faster than my 401(k).

More or less the point I was making. What bothers me is if I decline to do 85 mph, and choose a speed more reasonable to me, like 70 mph, to conserve fuel, now I'm faced with a large speed differential, which by itself is not safe.

And speaking of critters, while traveling home from Thanksgiving dinner, at 5:30 p.m. it was dark as midnight and I had a close encounter with a deer. My speed was 60 mph indicated on a 65 mph Interstate. I had to spike the brakes and lay on the horn. After that, I slowed to 55 mph for the rest of the trip home. Sorry, but this is deer season in New York, and we are overrun with deer. My normal speed after dark is 60 mph anyway. As Clint said, a man has to know his limitations... My night vision isn't what it used to be. And that local who was killed on his bike here a month ago was on a 55 mph road. He was out in the wee hours of the morning during the time of year deer are most active, not the best way to manage risks. That's what safety is, managing risks, not totally eliminating them.

Harry

Now, who was the guy that posted the following.........

"A million strikes a year sounds way too high. At least that is what I thought until I did a search. Some insurance institute says 1.23 million during the period July 2011 - June 2012. Montana is third among the states in the number of collisions. Citters scare the hell out of me and make riding at night a nerve racking event. We had a couple hit four buffalo on the road to our place. They were unhurt, but on a bike it would likely been a different tale."

Is that guy going to feel safer hitting the Critters at 85? :)

Ha! I see no inconsistency between the two posts. I also said we already cruise at 80-85 on the interstates. We do not do much night riding, but when we do it is at much slower speeds. You pay your money, twist the throttle and take your chances.

Again, I see no inconsistency between wanting speed limits that are appropriate for the design and condition of the roads (and in MT 85 seems right) and wanting low fuel prices. I certainly have no expectation that government will cause prices to decline, but private enterprise seems to be getting it done.

Tires, brakes, suspension, and automotive technology have improved so much in the last 20 years, and especially the last 10 that I feel our speed limits are very outdated, and have not kept pace with the advancements which have been made.

Driving a new car/motorcycle now at 85 (imho) is much safer because of their enhanced capabilities than 60 was in the 70s-80s.

Tires, brakes, suspension, and automotive technology have improved so much in the last 20 years, and especially the last 10 that I feel our speed limits are very outdated, and have not kept pace with the advancements which have been made.

Driving a new car/motorcycle now at 85 (imho) is much safer because of their enhanced capabilities than 60 was in the 70s-80s.

I agree...you make some good points.

and realistically , is a crash at 85 going to hurt allot less than one at 70 ?....I'm thinking ..not by much.

Yes I know there is the reaction time & other points argument ...but that is @ those speeds splitting hairs....IMO

Back