• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

23 Reasons People Shouldn't Work On Their Own Vehicles

Funny.

Sadly, I imagine Paul and some others have seen these sort of fixes and complaints with surprising regularity.

Wow! Truly, some shouldn't.

re Photo 15, the ty-wrapped sprocket - That happened to many "Invader" wheels, the chromed 5-spoke mags that used to be sold for Harleys. The sprocket flange was poorly welded to the hub and would break, leaving one stranded. Like mine on the 405 (San Diego Freeway) southbound, just before the 710 (Long Beach Freeway), at 5 PM... long ago, and a nice guy with a pickup truck saw me & pulled over! Unfortunately, when the chain suddenly jammed, it messed up some tranny innards too, grrr...

School_for_the_Mechanically_Declined.jpg

2008_09_29_Far_Side_Rocket_Science.jpg

Yeah, funny. Or not.

The sad reality is that you are less likely to do damage than a licensed mechanic is.
There aren't that many "Glaves" or "Largiaders" or "Cutters" out there(to name a few).
And I don't even think Paul Glaves is a bike pro. No disrespect, I read everything he writes, it just goes to my point.

My point is:
If you really want to fix something and you put your mind to it, and you have some aptitude, you will eventually succeed.

Some don't have the pre-requisites and are forced to trust mechanics.
Most find a "good guy", a lot don't.

There are far too many sob stories of automotive mechanic incompetence - I can find thousands of recent ones.

The latest in my experience is my sisters Mercedes B200.
Wouldn't start reliably.
I said 'Fuel pump relay'.
Shade tree garage tried to replace it but apparently missed the correct relay.
The F&*%^$#ing Mercedes dealer replaced the fuel pump twice at a cost of $2,000 and didn't fix it.

Second shade tree garage replaced the correct relay and now it starts like a new one.

There are 23,000,000 reasons people should work on their own vehicles.
I feel badly for those who can not.

Edit: Those geeks didn't build that rocket, they designed it. The drawing looks OK.

I've been a pro HD wrench for 35+ years. I've seen a lot of dumb stuff and everything I have ever seen can be broadly applied throughout any profession. Ask me how I feel about my divorce lawyer.

Stuff is getting a lot more driven towards technicians that are really good with a laptop. I had to explain to a tech the other day how to pull the outer race inside a tube. No, you can't use a puller as the race is flush to the counter-bore.

I'm a pretty good mechaninic but I know for damn sure I don't know it all and I still make rookie mistakes.

Nothing against you Yoda.

Sure good mechanics make mistakes as you admitted in your post, who doesn't?
NOBODY should fault that, IF you man up and fix what YOU messed up for free. Usually, it's mostly time, YOU eat the parts(if any) which is usually not that much.

You're a mouthy bastidge but I'd love to have you as a neighbour, and I bet you're a damned good mechanic too.

Just for fun, visit one of the new generation auto dealers. I'm sure you have see them. They have food, internet, couches and try to give you an experience. While you are there, see if you can eaves drop on the goings on at the "service writers" station :eek
OM

Nothing against you Yoda.

Sure good mechanics make mistakes as you admitted in your post, who doesn't?
NOBODY should fault that, IF you man up and fix what YOU messed up for free. Usually, it's mostly time, YOU eat the parts(if any) which is usually not that much.

You're a mouthy bastidge but I'd love to have you as a neighbour, and I bet you're a damned good mechanic too.

In the day, our mistakes were covered by "Community Service". The company would eat the parts, we would eat the labor (see "evening shift" in the mechanics dictionary). It's against the law in Manitoba now. My mechanics f-up, I pay them, eat the parts and in my industry, I pay the down time costs the customer might have. I've been known to pay for a few more hotel rooms and rental replacements that I would rather not brag about.

I don't really prefer to be called a "mouthy bastidge". I would rather be called an arrogant SOB Canuck. Actually, my really good friends call me a Dink. Sometime worse.................

I am a horrible neighbour. Been known to get a bit cranky with the raccoons in the middle of the night wearing less than modest attire.

Ah yes, the dealership customer lounge. Don't go to the shop and watch what goes on. Just go through the experience blissfully ignorant and trusting. You will be much happier.

I don't really prefer to be called a "mouthy bastidge".

Sorry DY, that was a bit out of line - but I knew you could take it. :D

Your "Community Service" plan sounds like a winner.
I guess it's illegal now because we can't reasonably expect people to be responsible for their own work.

When I was employed in the MC/Auto repair business, there were almost weekly occurrences or stupidity on the costumers part, and a few on some mechanics parts.

One that still baffles me was a woman that brought her car in for service, and we gave her a loaner. A few minutes later she comes back in stating she couldn't drive the loaner, because it was an automatic transmission, and she had always driven stick shift! A brief interesting conversation took place, and she was insistent that she couldn't drive an automatic, because there was no where for her to use her left foot! We ended up giving her a used car with a stick. I am sure if I reflected back, I could spend the day here telling crazy stories.

While I know some darn great mechanics, VERY few people can beat somebody at something they specialize in, or do each and every day.
A pro is a pro.
Then there's everyone else.
That's my story & I'm sticking to it. :p

I agree

While I know some darn great mechanics, VERY few people can beat somebody at something they specialize in, or do each and every day.
A pro is a pro.
Then there's everyone else.
That's my story & I'm sticking to it. :p

We have a guy that is rock solid on our CAN systems but swings a sledge hammer like a 6 year old girl. I swing 16 pounders like nobody else I know and nod my head in agreement when the other guy starts spitting PIDS at me.

It's impossible with the sophistication of some of our machines to know everything there is from as--ole to eyeball and then the OE will throw the "plan change" number at you for the exact same machine model and serial number sequence.

Good, quality mechanics, know that being a technician has equal value.

Back