Thread: In Praise Of The F700GS Oil Change

In Praise Of The F700GS Oil Change

Just did my first oil & filter change on the F700GS.

Over the years, between my wife and I have done oil changes on; Virago's, an 1100 V Star, a 2004 Gold Wing, FJR1300, a couple of Victory Visions.

I am pleased to say, the change on the F700GS was the easiest oil change I have every done.

No dismantling to get at stuff, no awkward contortions to get at stuff, no burnt fingers checking the oil (on the Vic.'s), no spillage, no cursing etc.

As if I did not already have enough reasons to like the F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    Just did my first oil & filter change on the F700GS.

Over the years, between my wife and I have done oil changes on; Virago's, an 1100 V Star, a 2004 Gold Wing, FJR1300, a couple of Victory Visions.

I am pleased to say, the change on the F700GS was the easiest oil change I have every done.

No dismantling to get at stuff, no awkward contortions to get at stuff, no burnt fingers checking the oil (on the Vic.'s), no spillage, no cursing etc.

As if I did not already have enough reasons to like the F700GS
    I agree with the ease of oil change, with the exception of having to drop the skid plate first. There than that, it sure beat having to change the oil in my K1200 RS. Talk about a mess with having to dig out the filter from inside the oil pan......

Annie has two F bikes and they are easy to maintain, but for ease of maintenance it is hard to beat the R1200R hexhead.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your F700 Glen. It only gets better.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I am reminded of the oil change torture on my F650 (single) Dakar. I knew it would be fun when I read the instructions in the factory manual which began, "Remove the left front turn signal." Truly!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I remember my 75 Moto Guzzi instructions, "Remove the oil pan to replace the filter." Guzzi put a scew on filter inside the pan! Took me about ten minutes to change the oil and filter on my 700GS this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am reminded of the oil change torture on my F650 (single) Dakar. I knew it would be fun when I read the instructions in the factory manual which began, "Remove the left front turn signal." Truly!!
    A BMW design engineer made VP on that one.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I agree with the ease of oil change, with the exception of having to drop the skid plate first. There than that, it sure beat having to change the oil in my K1200 RS. Talk about a mess with having to dig out the filter from inside the oil pan......
    Forgot that some have the skid plate.

I'm not a rue GS-type , mine stays strictly on the pavement, so there's no skid plate on it.