Thread: Heated hand grip gets too hot 2008 R1200rt

Heated hand grip gets too hot 2008 R1200rt

My 2008 R1200RT, when I set the heated hand grip to the lowest setting, after a short time I have to turn it off since it is too hot to hold. The upper heat setting is very hot and unusable. Is there some way to better control the heat in the grips?

Grampa Tumbleweed

Heated Handgrips

Are you wearing gloves? If not, start there. If that's not enough, add Grip Buddies grip wraps. I don't know if an in-line resister would be compatible with the canbus system. Thant's way above my pay grade.

heated grip gets too hot 2008 r1200rt

Quote Originally Posted by 7536 View Post
    Are you wearing gloves? If not, start there. If that's not enough, add Grip Buddies grip wraps. I don't know if an in-line resister would be compatible with the canbus system. Thant's way above my pay grade.
    I am using gloves with the heated grips. I had hoped the gloves would moderate the heat but in the rain particularly my hands feel poached. My winter gloves help somewhat but the heat gets too much. I have to keep turning the heat switch off. I am not an electrical technical person, I thought some sort of power level adjuster could be added to the wiring.

The power is pulse width modulated and it wouldn't be easy to add in a resistor or such, though it could be done. I'm surprised, mine on low is just not that hot. High is quite hot, but I need it hot!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350