• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Takata automotive airbag recall

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm posting this here to let people know, if they don't already, about the airbag recall. The number of affected cars is now about 8 million, and could go higher. This does affect cars world wide.

Here's a list of affected US cars. It mostly covers cars model years between 2000 and 2008.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pr...ective-airbags-urged-to-take-immediate-action

For those unaware of the situation, here's an article on it.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autossuvs/government-ups-air-bag-warning

Just saw that on the noon news. It covers a lot of makes. Seems when Toyota runs out, a temporary sticker will be placed on the dash:brad

Both of my cars (Element & Vibe) are on the list, but I live in WA state, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get a notice or not.

:scratch

Honda has been proactive on this..

When I heard about this recall I checked with my Honda dealer. They pointed out that the vehicle I own, a 2001 Accord, had the drivers side front airbag replaced in April of 2010. I just hadn't remembered from 4 years back when I was noticed and took it in.

At least Honda has been proactive on this front. I asked about the passenger side bag and they said there is no recall for my particular car on it.

On our local TV news the report on all the recalls was followed by a story on "driverless cars" to be available in just a few years. Is it just me or is that pretty scary?

pete

I gotta say, not any scarier than a texting college student doing 70 either behind you or in the next lane over....

Supposedly, Tesla's new 2015 model will have the capability for you to summon it from a parking garage and drive itself to your waiting location just using your smart phone. I don't know how that is possible with driverless cars not yet legal.

.....was followed by a story on "driverless cars" to be available in just a few years. Is it just me or is that pretty scary?

pete

One thing that might slow this down, is who is at fault in an accident when the car is in driverless mode. I think the California is at the forefront of this. The politicians are just now discussing this issue and have yet to make a decision. I think manufacturers will put the brakes on this if they would be held liable in an accident--even if only partially liable. On the flip side, I don't think there will be enough buyers of the system if the manufacturers are given a pass on liability. Just my two-cents here.

Back