• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

luggage options R90/6

picard

Rider
What are the options for a luggage setup (side cases, and rear rack for soft roll bag) for a new to me 1975 R90/6 if one starts from scratch?

I am a bit confused about the different years, which racks fit what and which cases are compatible with each rack option. The bike mostly original but I'm not sure whether I want to trade period look for useability.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much and Engage!
DSC05145.jpg

Earlier this year I bought a 1979 R100S (/7). It already had the luggage rack installed but had no bags. I ordered a set of Krauser bags made by Siebenrock from this place:

www.bmw2valve.com

They have lots of experience and can answer questions about what fits and what is needed to make things fit.

I have Wixoms on my R75/6. I found a set in great shape on Ebay, but they came with no mounts/hangers. I designed/mocked up a flat bar mount and brace, then the guys at my husband's work fabricated it in 1/8" steel flat stock. I had to take off the stock seat hinge, and switch to the pin system (where you pull the seat straight up) in order to be able to access the under seat tool compartment. But I actually like the seat better that way- it's much easier to remove and service stuff. The original wixom mounts had a quick release on the left side- so you could remove that case to hinge open the seat. I prefer the cases solidly bolted on. If you find a set with the original mounts- they were often used on Guzzi's so you have to make sure the mounts are the BMW frame compatible version.
I like the Wixoms since they're top opening, and I don't have to worry about strapping them shut for the latch failures I've heard about from the old Krauser bags. They also have additional tail lights on them which I have wired into my bike.

Kat
1974 R75/6

Having just inspected a set of Hepco and Becker bags at an airhead gathering recently I have to say they are substantially better made than the Krausers which just look right on that bike of yours. The case material is thicker and better quality and the latches are way better. That's the way I'd go.

Keep in mind that the original BMW bags and mounts (in my opinion) were pretty junky.

The brackets were notorious for cracking and needing welded up. The bags were also notorious for falling off which is why so many used ones have extra holes/hooks/etc. to allow people to use bungee cords or tie downs to help hold them on!

That "seat belt" style clip wasn't the best designed hold on!

Lots of options, so you will probably have to decide on a couple of parameters. Hard cases? OEM or aftermarket? Soft bags?

I have a 1974 very similar to yours and have had the touring cases for many years. They have done a good job for me.

https://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-touring-case-left-side-33-liter-

If i was going to do it again, i would probably go for the improved Hepco bags because I think they look better.

https://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-classic-saddlebags---right-side

But, looks like it will be about $750 for two bags and the rack.

For about half that, you can get a nice set of soft bags or one of the large single duffles. Giant Loop and Wolfman each have about a half dozen different bags.

Lots of options!

Barron

BMW saddlebag racks are the same for all large-frame Airheads, 1974-1984. Large frame means not R65, R80G/S, R80ST.

Difference that's fairly minor is the lock holding the bag to the rack, could be seatbelt type or the later hook type.

Some bag racks are one piece, the two sides connected via a small rear center rack to which you could mount a small duffle.

Airheads prior to 1985 are not approved for a rear top box. The one piece rack doesn't fit with the "S" type seat, i.e. one with a plastic cowl ... which you don't have.

As with everything BMW, latest is best, so that means the bags with the horizontal reflectors and similar chrome BMW logo and with the last generation locks using key that's same style as your ignition key.

As reported, the BMW racks are known to fracture, but that's almost always from overloading. Airheads were simply never designed to carry heavy loads. The usual weight limit per bag published by BMW is 22 pounds.

You could also check around for a used set. A used set of Krausers with the racks can be had for $200-$300.

You could also check around for a used set. A used set of Krausers with the racks can be had for $200-$300.

That seems a bit low, like everything else used equipment prices seem to be creeping upward. Still, they're out there.

But if you are considering the pre-owned Krauser route, especially from eBay sellers (who often don't know what they're selling) you will need to consider the differences in hardware; Long Wheel Base, Short Wheel Base, or R65. It affects the length of the "down leg" that stabilizes the lower front mounting loop. Additionally, the tabs specifically for the R65 bike, are oriented horizontally, instead of vertically as for the SWB/LWB. The bike below is my LWB '73 /5 with R65 mounts (the eBay seller advertised that they came off of a /6).

i.e.
IMG_0904.jpg

Thanks for everyone's responses.
Agree, have seen a lot of ebay listings that are not clear on fitment or even list fitments that should be incompatible. The ebay Krauser cases often look crappy and are still quite pricey.

The new HepcoBecker replicas of the old style Krauser bags do look really nice and seem to work better. But it would be almost $1000 with the brackets and a rear rack.

The 80s "touring cases" sound like a good alternative. Good to know that all the "large frame" airhead racks fit.

Rear seat bag is not an option as we will be riding two-up. I have Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags on my GS for off road use but they require frames still. Has anyone successfully used soft bags without frames to keep them off the rear wheel?

How do you shop for used parts from Repsycle? Did you go their and view the side bags? I need many parts for my 81 R100RT that was knocked over by an SUV 5 weeks ago.:banghead

Another thing to beware, if you are looking for used bags and mounts is that the early mounts did not have a lower support from the bottom of the bag mount to the main frame. This lower support was mentioned in an earlier post on here, with a nice picture, where Imo1131 mentioned variation in length. However, early ones didn't have the support piece at all. I have a '74 R90/6 that I pulled out of a barn earlier this year. As luck would have it, I got the earlier style bag mounts. The issue is that without the tie-in to the main frame, the subframe gets overstressed and can crack. There are some pictures HERE. (After the page comes up, you may have to scroll down a bit to see the pics.)

Ray

How do you shop for used parts from Repsycle? Did you go their and view the side bags? I need many parts for my 81 R100RT that was knocked over by an SUV 5 weeks ago.:banghead

You can call them. Don't bother to email. I am still waiting on a response from about 6 month's ago. I gave up.

They do have lots of parts and usually charge 1/2 of what the new part price would be.

It is best if you can make the trip. I live in Canton, OH, with a daughter who lives in Columbus. I go visit her, and then make the added trip to Lithopolis (about an extra 15 miles).

I would give them a call, and ask if they would email you pics of whatever you are interested in. I know that they also do a lot of shipping out via UPS (I think that is who they use).

Another thing to beware, if you are looking for used bags and mounts is that the early mounts did not have a lower support from the bottom of the bag mount to the main frame. This lower support was mentioned in an earlier post on here, with a nice picture, where Imo1131 mentioned variation in length. However, early ones didn't have the support piece at all. I have a '74 R90/6 that I pulled out of a barn earlier this year. As luck would have it, I got the earlier style bag mounts. The issue is that without the tie-in to the main frame, the subframe gets overstressed and can crack. There are some pictures HERE. (After the page comes up, you may have to scroll down a bit to see the pics.)

Ray

My purchase DID have the lower supports as shown in pics and they still cracked all over the place. My actual bike sub-frame was perfect, however. It is the bag mount frame that takes the beating. Mine from a previous owner(s) had all sorts of brazing and welding. I used the basic frame, and re-vamped (as they were worth nothing as original - too damaged) to mount to a very solid trailer hitch frame that I had made for my trailer. Now ... very solid. However, I still use strapping (nice looking - unlike the bungee cords that many use) to hold the bags to the frames. The buckle hitch, and the lid snaps were known to let loose at the most inopportune times!

If you would look at the saddlebag frames you would see that they used very thin material, and the material was of the softest material for steel I have ever seen! I could literally bend-to-relocate that bottom "new" support by just using my hands and arms (and I am not that strong!!). The part that was added to the frames to connect to the mc lower frame.

Of course, their chrome job, or someone else's paint job covers up all of this.

It was actually at Re-Psycle where I got the idea to mount these frames differently (still using the old brackets, but modifying them) and it has worked very well.

Back