• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pacific Coast HWY

THREEFLYS

Hey all,
I leave Saturday for a trip up the PCH, I'll be travelling from Santa Rosa, CA to Astoria, OR all on Hwy 101. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips on this stretch of road? I think I'll be stopping right around the CA/OR border for the night, but who knows.
Thanks,
Chris

If you have time for side trips than I would do Crater Lake in OR and spend some time in the Klamath CA area too. I just came back from there and had a blast. In Klamath you can do the ride-tru-the tree thingie. A real tourist trap, but for 2 bucks you can't beat it. Visit www.KlamathCC.org for more info on the area. The Redwoods are overwhelmingly beautifull and I'm sure you like it too. Make sure to take the Newton Drury bypass for some serious Redwood scenery!!
Hope it helps and have fun!!!

stop in at the vintage motorcycle museum in Port Orford, Oregon

Antique Motorcycle Museum

no beemers, but still very cool, a ton of one of a kind stuff, stan will tell you anything and everything about every motorcycle in the collection, make sure you set aside a few hours............

also, can't go wrong with a tour of the Hearst mansion if you've never been there...........

If you are riding the Oregon stretch on a weekend, plan on being on the road for a long time. I went up that way before the Rally last year and found that there is an excessive number of 45 MPH zones and super-slow motorhomes. Allow for time accordingly.

Near Gold Beach is a nice little botanical garden worth a visit.

Ian

I am nuts for Ferndale... and the Mattole Road south of there.

If you're heading north on 101, hang a left on Briceland Road in Garberville.

Go right on Honeydew Road, right on Wilder Ridge/Kings Peak Road, left on Mattole Road and enjoy!

An option is to go further north on 101 and take the Mattole Road west/north through the Humbolt Redwoods park.

Man... I need to get out there again!

Ian

Visian said:
I am nuts for Ferndale... and the Mattole Road south of there.

If you're heading north on 101, hang a left on Briceland Road in Garberville.

Go right on Honeydew Road, right on Wilder Ridge/Kings Peak Road, left on Mattole Road and enjoy!

An option is to go further north on 101 and take the Mattole Road west/north through the Humbolt Redwoods park.

Man... I need to get out there again!

Ian

Don't forget Avenue of the Giants, 36, 3 and 299. :thumb :thumb

>Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips on this stretch of road? I think I'll be stopping right around the CA/OR border for the night, but who knows.

Don't take 101 ALL the way. Just after you cross the Golden Gate bridge in Sausalito, head towards Stinson Beach then go North on Hwy 1 to Leggett. It IS the coastline. Somewhere between Marshall and Bodega Bay there is a great place for Oysters fresh out of the water. It's on the left (water) side as you go north. Also, don't miss the Avenue of the Giants There is a great place to stay somewhere in there. I THINK it's either in Myer's Flat or Miranda. Little log cabins right in a stand of redwoods. From what I remember is was dirt cheap as well, something around $20. I have a buddy who lives in Ferndale. I'll see if I can get a name or specific location for ya.

AvenueGiants1-TheSabreGroup-com.jpg

avenueofgiants.gif

dlearl476 said:
>Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips on this stretch of road? I think I'll be stopping right around the CA/OR border for the night, but who knows.

Don't take 101 ALL the way. Just after you cross the Golden Gate bridge in Sausalito, head towards Stinson Beach then go North on Hwy 1 to Leggett. It IS the coastline. Somewhere between Marshall and Bodega Bay there is a great place for Oysters fresh out of the water. It's on the left (water) side as you go north. Also, don't miss the Avenue of the Giants There is a great place to stay somewhere in there. I THINK it's either in Myer's Flat or Miranda. Little log cabins right in a stand of redwoods. From what I remember is was dirt cheap as well, something around $20. I have a buddy who lives in Ferndale. I'll see if I can get a name or specific location for ya.

AvenueGiants1-TheSabreGroup-com.jpg

avenueofgiants.gif

Correctamundo. Since I live here, I'll chip in. There are two good spots for barbecued oysters (IMHO). They're both in Marshall, actuallly. There's the Marshall Store, which is a true dive in every sense of the word, but make terrific barbecued oysters. We also like Tony's, which is a bit north of the store. It has a wider variety of seafood and serves beer. There's plenty of parking out front and it has about the best view of Tomales Bay you'll find.

There's Hog Island Oysters and another one I can't remember the name of, but they're kind of touristy.

My favorite places on 1 are the Bovine Bakery and the Pine Cone Diner, both in Pt. Reyes Station. On the weekend, that's about as far north as the city folks get, so try to hit PRS early.

Well, jeez, this is Chris we're talking to and I've had bearclaws and coffee with him at the bakery a couple times. :ha

Oh yeah, the Tomales Bakery is pretty doggone good too. :eat

Thanks all, I'll definently have to check out the Avenue of the Giants on the way up. I think I'll stick with 101 all the becuse I've had my bike on Hwy 1 and tossing 600# around all day can get a little tiring! (espscially since I have about 700 miles to go in 2 days, not a big deal for Iron Butters but is for me)
Dave, sorry I didn't get down to the bakery again before I left but since my in-laws live I'll be back!
Chris

California dreamin'.....

Thanks for the great links. That's it I'm going back. I lived in san Diego for fifteen years and did all of the Baja, Southern & Central CA and the Sierras but not the North Coast. I'm itching to have a couple of Red Nectars from Humboldt.
Hooyah,
Breeze
:thb

Watch for deep Humboldt potholes (especially southbound) between Fortuna and Garberville. Last Feb I nailed one (at the time, it didnÔÇÖt seem that bad). It managed to rip the steel belts out of my MetzÔÇÖs and was awarded an overnighter in lovely Miranda.

Visian said:
299, 3 *and* 96... oh man, now you've gone and done it. Where's my camping gear? :)

Ian

Twist my arm. But 128 from Cloverdale out to the coast is also a nice
ride. Takes you through the Anderson Valley towns of Boonville (where
they speak Boontling) and Philo. Eventually emptying out just south of
Albion. Then 1 up to Leggett and on the Oregon border.

Ian

Man-O-*MAN* you guys are makin' me wanna ride out there! Oregon's on my list of future places to live, and my sweetheart's parent's have a summer home there, so NorCal might be more within reach than I often think!

Any of you guys get to NorCal and we've got a bed for ya.

Honest. We'll even let ya flop in the hot tub. :buds

OR Coast

threeflys said:
Thanks all, I'll definently have to check out the Avenue of the Giants on the way up. I think I'll stick with 101 all the becuse I've had my bike on Hwy 1 and tossing 600# around all day can get a little tiring! (espscially since I have about 700 miles to go in 2 days, not a big deal for Iron Butters but is for me)
Dave, sorry I didn't get down to the bakery again before I left but since my in-laws live I'll be back!
Chris

Chris, I don't want to burst your bubble but it is very very hard to do CA to WA in one day along the OR coast. Too many slow towns and motorhomes this time of year.

But, if your doing the best you can, stop at Cannon Beach, Tillamook (CHEESE) and WWII Aircraft History Museum www.tillamookair.com , and cross the Astoria Bridge and turn the corner into the North Point Light House (Cape Disappointment State Park).

Good Luck, have FUN

SFDOC,
I plan to take two days to do it. Are you a prior army medic or Navy HM? I'm a USCG Medic (IDC).
Chris

Back