• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Elio Three Wheel Car

brewmeister

Well that's it , I'm all in for buying a Elio car ,stay tuned for this if it becomes a Dale auto scam. This could be a crap shoot or a nice surprise. My father bought a chystler mini van back in 1983 sight unseen and that turned out good , even though that is a bigger corporation I think this would be better than a smart car and more motorcycle like. The enclosed cab will be better for Wisconsin weather. Please stay tuned as for how this turns out. Check out eliomotors.com for the skinny on it.

Could well go the way of the Corbin Sparrow. I'm not sure that the aerial view of their "factory" in Louisiana is real. And they don't have any ACTUAL locations posted for dealers. I think you would have to be pretty trusting (gullible?) to put your money down at this point.

Last edited:
Great for a contained village. Grab a few groceries maybe a six pack. Hate to hit an aluminum F-150. Looks like a 1957 Messerschmidt. Wait a minute, I can grab six pack with the airhead.

Could well go the way of the Corbin Sparrow. I'm not sure that the aerial view of their "factory" in Louisiana is real. And they don't have any ACTUAL locations posted for dealers. I think you would have to be pretty trusting (gullible?) to put you money down at this point.

They are suppose to be using the old GM truck plant in Shreveport LA. But not sure if this has happen yet.

Don

New Elio-

Screen-shot-2014-02-25-at-3.50.48-PM-676x406.png

Old BMW Isetta 300.

isetta-3wheel00.jpg

Kinda a full circle- "what is old- is now new".
Looks interesting for city commuting.
OM

Could well go the way of the Corbin Sparrow. I'm not sure that the aerial view of their "factory" in Louisiana is real. And they don't have any ACTUAL locations posted for dealers. I think you would have to be pretty trusting (gullible?) to put you money down at this point.

Actually Mike Corbin sold the Sparrow and it is currently being developed by the people at Corbin for the new owner. Plus they are helping the developer with an additional, really neat combi bus looking thing.

Standard features: A/C, heat, AM/FM stereo, power windows, power door lock, three air bags, auxiliary port, ABS and traction control

I wonder how they can build one with the above standard equipment for $6,800 when a 300CC Honda Scooter with ABS costs $6,100?

If it comes in anywhere near the claimed price or MPG, they won't be able to fill all the orders. I got on the list for one too. It'd be a great city car, commuter, second or third car in the family, car for retirees, or first car for many teens. Just how much car do you need at college anyway?

once the novelty wears off, buyers will opt for a used Corolla or Civic for the same price. The Messerschmidt and Isetta did well for a while because there was no used car market and people needed cheap transportation.

If it comes in anywhere near the claimed price or MPG, they won't be able to fill all the orders. I got on the list for one too. It'd be a great city car, commuter, second or third car in the family, car for retirees, or first car for many teens. Just how much car do you need at college anyway?

As another academic year starts...........It's plainly obvious that you need a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, at least, for many students to slum it at college. The kids with the Maserati's don't appear to be struggling.

Of course, considering the tuition rates, one doesn't have to worry about the car needs of students/families that can't afford the admission costs.

As another academic year starts...........It's plainly obvious that you need a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, at least, for many students to slum it at college. The kids with the Maserati's don't appear to be struggling.

Of course, considering the tuition rates, one doesn't have to worry about the car needs of students/families that can't afford the admission costs.

How true! I guess it'll also depend on how many 30 packs of Natty Lite fit in the rear area. Come to think of it, will a keg fit?

I wonder how they can build one with the above standard equipment for $6,800 when a 300CC Honda Scooter with ABS costs $6,100?

Cheap sh*t part time labor at slave wages with zero benefits- that's how.
Avoid.

A car manufacturer doesn't open a plant in rural LA to do the locals a favor. Probably won't pay anyone more than 10.00-12.00 per hour! Who wants to support that?
Avoid. Boycott.

C'mon, let's be real- as in real wages for real work. Honda obviously is invested in their employees, as their employees probably are in them. Elios? Working people deserve living wages. Period.

Rant: over.

Puhleeze. As an American, I'd rather support 1500 jobs in Louisiana than some plant in India or Thailand. And how do you know what benefits are going to be paid or not paid to the Elio workers? And how do you know what benefits are paid in other countries? Read up on the matter. You'll see the local government and people welcoming the plant with open arms. $12.00 an hour is a lot better than unemployed.

Once an auto plant opens in the U.S., in very short order the workers will decide whether to unionize or not.

Rant over!

Heard something recently that amazed me that I hadn't heard or thought of before.

Running a 3-wheel vehicle, if there's something in the road, you are going to hit it.

Puhleeze. As an American, I'd rather support 1500 jobs in Louisiana than some plant in India or Thailand. And how do you know what benefits are going to be paid or not paid to the Elio workers? And how do you know what benefits are paid in other countries? Read up on the matter. You'll see the local government and people welcoming the plant with open arms. $12.00 an hour is a lot better than unemployed.

Once an auto plant opens in the U.S., in very short order the workers will decide whether to unionize or not.

Rant over!

YOU try working for 12.00 an hour. Bet you're way beyond that. Good enough for others, tho, right?

If you so support American Jobs... Oh there are SO many things I COULD say right now...
I HOPE you put your money where your mouth is and buy MADE IN USA whenever possible.

I also support US WORKERS, and union has nothing to do with it.
I unconditionally support living wages.

Meanwhile... with apologies to Elio...

From the Elio website:

"American Made: A Profound Effect on our Economy ("profound"? really?)

Manufacturing facility is former GM plant in Shreveport, LA
90% North American content
1,500 US jobs will be created.
Reducing US dependency on foreign oil"

YOU try working for 12.00 an hour. Bet you're way beyond that. Good enough for others, tho, right?

If you so support American Jobs... Oh there are SO many things I COULD say right now...
I HOPE you put your money where your mouth is and buy MADE IN USA whenever possible.

I also support US WORKERS, and union has nothing to do with it.
I unconditionally support living wages.

Meanwhile... with apologies to Elio...

From the Elio website:

"American Made: A Profound Effect on our Economy ("profound"? really?)

Manufacturing facility is former GM plant in Shreveport, LA
90% North American content
1,500 US jobs will be created.
Reducing US dependency on foreign oil"

Not looking for a fight. Try the decaf next time bro....
Oh, BTW- where was YOUR motorcycle made?

Back