• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1995 R100GS ....rear shock length question

mysteriousfish

Well, a late night E-bay bid that went unanswered has landed a 1995 R100GS on my doorstep from a seller in Chicago...just going through it now to get familiar with her, but she is a real beauty! I am 6'3" with 34" inseam, and I was expecting the standover height to be greater (I have already replaced the Corbin saddle with a stock solo seat) ...also notice it is a bit*# to get up on the center stand compared with my other R100's and I was wondering whether the PO had lowered the bike. It has an aftermarket Hagon shock. I have read a lot about folks who lower their GSs by swapping out the shock for a shorter unit. Couple of questions: what is the length of the stock rear shock unit so I can tell whether this bike has been lowered. If the bike has been lowered, are parts other than the shock unit involved (e.g., brake arm?). Finally, I have read that the shorter shock length is more conducive to longer drive shaft wear, so should I be concerned about going back to the stock shock length if my bike has a shorter unit? Thanks for the help....Super stoked to get my new airhead dialed in and hit some Forest Service roads in the Cascades!

Attachments

• 20140815_122324.jpg
    20140815_122324.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 77
Mine measures 488mm between center of top/bottom bolts with the original shock and on center stand.

/Guenther

To make it easier to lift her up I replace the bushings for the center stand every couple of years and I have modified the handle:

View attachment 46337

The handle is made out of rod iron and welded to the frame replacing the original handle. I no longer have to twist my forearm 180 degrees which is more ergonomic for pulling.

It is also good enough to pull the whole motorcycle up in the air. It should have been like this in the first place.

/Guenther

hey Michael, if you would like I can bring my 90 PD by and you can compare, send me a pm. Chuck

Mine measures 488mm between center of top/bottom bolts with the original shock and on center stand.

/Guenther

thanks, Guenther, yup, my rear shock is the stock length; same as yours...also, thanks for the handle tip.....
I ordered up a flying t-pot side stand today after seeing the article in Airheads....that stock side stand is crazy...guess a fellow would eventually get used to it...

Back