Thread: 1995 R100GS ....rear shock length question

1995 R100GS ....rear shock length question

Well, a late night E-bay bid that went unanswered has landed a 1995 R100GS on my doorstep from a seller in Chicago...just going through it now to get familiar with her, but she is a real beauty! I am 6'3" with 34" inseam, and I was expecting the standover height to be greater (I have already replaced the Corbin saddle with a stock solo seat) ...also notice it is a bit*# to get up on the center stand compared with my other R100's and I was wondering whether the PO had lowered the bike. It has an aftermarket Hagon shock. I have read a lot about folks who lower their GSs by swapping out the shock for a shorter unit. Couple of questions: what is the length of the stock rear shock unit so I can tell whether this bike has been lowered. If the bike has been lowered, are parts other than the shock unit involved (e.g., brake arm?). Finally, I have read that the shorter shock length is more conducive to longer drive shaft wear, so should I be concerned about going back to the stock shock length if my bike has a shorter unit? Thanks for the help....Super stoked to get my new airhead dialed in and hit some Forest Service roads in the Cascades!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    michael

Mine measures 488mm between center of top/bottom bolts with the original shock and on center stand.

/Guenther

To make it easier to lift her up I replace the bushings for the center stand every couple of years and I have modified the handle:

Handle2.jpg

The handle is made out of rod iron and welded to the frame replacing the original handle. I no longer have to twist my forearm 180 degrees which is more ergonomic for pulling.

It is also good enough to pull the whole motorcycle up in the air. It should have been like this in the first place.

/Guenther

hey Michael, if you would like I can bring my 90 PD by and you can compare, send me a pm. Chuck
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Mine measures 488mm between center of top/bottom bolts with the original shock and on center stand.

/Guenther
    thanks, Guenther, yup, my rear shock is the stock length; same as yours...also, thanks for the handle tip.....
    I ordered up a flying t-pot side stand today after seeing the article in Airheads....that stock side stand is crazy...guess a fellow would eventually get used to it...
    michael