• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar Mounting on my R1150R

ellengtrgrl

Hi Everybody,

Well, the new battery has been installed in my 2004 R1150R. I've had some fun riding it. But I was wondering about the handlebar mounting - it seems a little high for my tastes. While I'm don't want a full lean-forward w/ clip-ons riding position ala a cafe racer or a race-rep supersport, I would prefer it to be a bit less upright - especially since the foot pegs are kind of high mounted. I noticed when I looked a bit more closely, that the handlbar on my bike, may be mounted up on risers. Is this the stock mounting, or is the stock mounting on the lower point that the photo I've included shows (with the bars mounted at the point, there would be some appreciated lean to the seating position)?

R1150RHandlebarMounting_zpsfbc00e08.jpg

You likely have a set of barbacks installed...this link:

http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories...-1-inch-Up-and-1-1-4-inch-Back-MT-513-062.htm

I'm pretty sure that that spot you're pointing to is where the bars would fit if you were to remove that long piece in the middle. Surprising that the long piece doesn't have a shape to fit that hole...might add a bit of stability. You can measure how much the change would make to the sitting position...probably about 1.5 to 2 inches forward.

My /7 has something similar but you can see how the black extension piece is shaped to fit the spot where the bar went. Sorry, not a great picture.

Attachments

• Slash7BarBack.jpg
    Slash7BarBack.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 68
Had a set of identical barbacks on my '04 R. Easy to dismount and reposition, and may well be more comfy. Try it, but remember to have the front wheel straight ahead and use a big towel or something to protect your fuel tank before loosening those cap screws. DAMHIK! :groovy

I have the identical bar mount on my 1150R. It didn't look stock when I bought it used but I like the more upright and back position as I've never been fond of a forward riding position but that's just me. And the pegs really cramp my legs but I'm getting used to it. I just love the ride of my my Beemer compared to my Harley. Don't plan on going back. R1200GSA next. Hope it has more leg room?

...And the pegs really cramp my legs but I'm getting used to it. I just love the ride of my my Beemer compared to my Harley. Don't plan on going back. R1200GSA next. Hope it has more leg room?

I got tired of the cramped legs and installed the foot peg brackets, foot pegs, brake and shift control levers, rear brake master cylinder, brake hose, side stand, center stand, shock absorber and torque arm from an R1150GS. Hard to tell unless you compare the distance from the swing arm pivot to the pegs on my bike and yours. The pegs are about 3 inches lower and the rear of the bike sits about 3 inches higher, so it cancels out as far as ground clearance. It steers faster with the reduced rake but is still quite stable. GS ergos on an R. I also have Wunderlich Touring Wellness handlebars and Verholen barbacks. It was a lot of work, but I like it.

leeta too.jpg

leeta rear.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! :) If I have the gumption this Labor Day weekend, I might remove the barbacks, to see if the riding position is improved.

It really is an easy job to switch it out. In cooler wetter weather I used a tall Cee Bailey screen with the barbacks. Summer weather (3 weeks in the Puget Sound!) I'd go back to the BMW Sport Screen and standard bar mount.

Smooth riding! :blah

Back