• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CANADIANSTEVE

Go Leafs Go
Silly perhaps, but should the the centerstand on my 92 RS have a hole in the bottom of one "foot " Never noticed this before now ... Thanks.
Steve

Is the hole where the red arrow points or where the green arrow points? The green arrow seems to point to a hole that is built in...not sure why.

If it's the red arrow, I'd have to say that having a hole in the bottom of the stock centerstand foot is not OEM. I've seen pictures of stands where the repeated on/off the centerstand has worn a flat spot in the foot and eventually a hole. Then the degradation process proceeds quickly and the foot begins to lose structural strength.

Attachments

• cstandhole.jpg
    cstandhole.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 180
Is the hole where the red arrow points or where the green arrow points? The green arrow seems to point to a hole that is built in...not sure why.

If it's the red arrow, I'd have to say that having a hole in the bottom of the stock centerstand foot is not OEM. I've seen pictures of stands where the repeated on/off the centerstand has worn a flat spot in the foot and eventually a hole. Then the degradation process proceeds quickly and the foot begins to lose structural strength.

The hole is where the red arrow points ... green arrow points to the hole where the rubber bumper goes which prevents the stand from contacting the frame. Looks like a problem has developed for me, a $200 one, unless it can be welded !!! Thanks for the tip.

Easily welded really. The BMW paint really stinks when heated up. I shortened the center and side stand on the F800 after lowering.
OM

Several questions/observations.

Kurt, when you "added" the arrows to the existing pic, what program did you use?

Observation: Is this hole on the bottom of the stand perfectly round, or is it somewhat oblong. If perfectly round, probably there for a reason - sometimes little round holes are in welded tubular frames so that air can get in to keep it dried out. If moisture would get in and no hole for air flow, then rust would work from the inside. Not sure but could be that is the reason for the hole.

If hole is oblong, and accompanied by "scraping" that the tube takes as it is used to put bike on stand, then definitely the hole should not be there! Easy to get welded up - probably with a mig welder.

Kurt, when you "added" the arrows to the existing pic, what program did you use?

Interesting tool that fxray suggested...I didn't know about that. I'm a bit "old school" in the way that I do it. It's got a lot of steps but at least I understand and, best of all, remember them!

1) do a screen capture using standard Windows keystrokes; I have a small program called PrintKey 2000 which let's me further crop the image.
2) drop the image (from the Windows clipboard) into PowerPoint
3) use the tools in PowerPoint to draw arrows, add text, etc.
4) group all of the images in PowerPoint into a single "layer" or image
5) cut-n-paste the single image into Irfanview and save the image to my local drive
6) then the image can be uploaded

It's probably easier to use something like Windows Paint...not as fully functional but you wouldn't have to use PowerPoint or Irfanview.

While we're on the subject of centerstands, what would cause the stand NOT to stay in the UP (not in use) position? I just figured the spring was weak as mine did not seem to want to stay up. I installed a new spring and now it's worse. At least it would "kind of" stay up with the old spring. Now I can't find the old spring to use in place of the new one that is not useable.

what would cause the stand NOT to stay in the UP (not in use) position?

I would think there's some binding going on...possibly something wrong with the bushings. When you remove all springs, does the c-stand move easily? If not, you have binding. If yes, then the leverage point must be wrong or the new springs are too weak.

While we're on the subject of centerstands, what would cause the stand NOT to stay in the UP (not in use) position? I just figured the spring was weak as mine did not seem to want to stay up. I installed a new spring and now it's worse. At least it would "kind of" stay up with the old spring. Now I can't find the old spring to use in place of the new one that is not useable.

Also, the spring must go "over center" to hold up the stand. As I recall, where it connects is a moveable tab that can be adjusted to insure the "over the center" pull of the spring (as I remember on my /7).

Another issue with centerstands is the bolts. They take a lot of pressure, and they also get abused when the rider puts bike on centerstand and allows it to "bang" into position. Hard on bolts. They get bent, back out of thread section. I had to remove mine, and re-tap the threads and purchase new bolts. Be sure springs don't bind up on something (like the end of the bolt, or frame).

Interesting tool that fxray suggested...I didn't know about that. I'm a bit "old school" in the way that I do it. It's got a lot of steps but at least I understand and, best of all, remember them!

1) do a screen capture using standard Windows keystrokes; I have a small program called PrintKey 2000 which let's me further crop the image.
2) drop the image (from the Windows clipboard) into PowerPoint
3) use the tools in PowerPoint to draw arrows, add text, etc.
4) group all of the images in PowerPoint into a single "layer" or image
5) cut-n-paste the single image into Irfanview and save the image to my local drive
6) then the image can be uploaded

It's probably easier to use something like Windows Paint...not as fully functional but you wouldn't have to use PowerPoint or Irfanview.

Wow, you must be a glutton for punishment! That's a lot of work! But appreciated!

There is no "binding" of the centerstand at the bolts. It freely drops down. I had installed the spring with the hook over the top, but it didn't work. I looked at my other /5, which is all original, and saw it was "under" the pin. Either way, it does not work. It is a brand new spring and should be "strong enough".

Annotating

In the Mac OS, the application Preview has annotation tools. Click on the "Show Edit Toolbar" button that's just left of the search box in the header.

good news .. fellow at my work will weld the hole in the stand for me. Thanks everyone.
Steve

You may want him to check the thickness (as much as possible) on the other side. If one side is worn thin, the other side is probably not far behind. It may make sense to have your friend weld some material on the bottom of the center stand on both sides.

Back