• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RT shocks delivery schedule

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
The first shocks will arrive at dealers on Tuesday, August 19. They will be shipped as they arrive in the U.S. Because they are coming in numerous bulk shipments to BMW NA, it will take a few weeks to get them all sent out, some into September.

They will be made available to customers in the order of dates of sale of their motorcycles in the U.S.

Each shock will be assigned to a specific motorcycle by its VIN number. But the date of sale of the motorcycle controls the delivery of the shock, not the VIN sequence. For example, my 2014 R1200RT was the fifth sold in the U.S., so my shock will be the fifth delivered and it will be delivered to my dealer. That shock, when it arrives, must be installed on the motorcycle with my VIN number, i.e. my 2014 R1200RT. And so on down the list of RT sales.

After shocks have been delivered to all waiting 2014 R1200RT owners, they will be made available to dealer stock, etc.

I bought the first one at my dealer but don't know what number I am for the whole country. Do the dealers have a list that would show this?

I bought the first one at my dealer but don't know what number I am for the whole country. Do the dealers have a list that would show this?
Yes, how are people finding the number of their bike? A list with the vin and date sold would be nice.

Yes, BMW sent them a list. My RT was the first one purchased in the US. Dealer sent me as copy of the list. Next one was in Jax, FL. Took mine in today. They expect delivery on Tuesday. Maybe this saga is almost over. I am glad I kept the bike I love riding it.

Yes, BMW sent them a list. My RT was the first one purchased in the US. Dealer sent me as copy of the list. Next one was in Jax, FL. Took mine in today. They expect delivery on Tuesday. Maybe this saga is almost over. I am glad I kept the bike I love riding it.

Sounds great! The one in Jacksonville must be me!

Buck,
It would be appreciated if you could post or PM a list with the numbers on it.
Thanks.

The first shocks will arrive at dealers on Tuesday, August 19. They will be shipped as they arrive in the U.S. Because they are coming in numerous bulk shipments to BMW NA, it will take a few weeks to get them all sent out, some into September.

They will be made available to customers in the order of dates of sale of their motorcycles in the U.S.

Each shock will be assigned to a specific motorcycle by its VIN number. But the date of sale of the motorcycle controls the delivery of the shock, not the VIN sequence. For example, my 2014 R1200RT was the fifth sold in the U.S., so my shock will be the fifth delivered and it will be delivered to my dealer. That shock, when it arrives, must be installed on the motorcycle with my VIN number, i.e. my 2014 R1200RT. And so on down the list of RT sales.

After shocks have been delivered to all waiting 2014 R1200RT owners, they will be made available to dealer stock, etc.

Good news for those of you who have already purchased an R1200 affected by the parts issue. Would anyone know how the part availability will affect my bike that is supposedly in production? From what I understand the bike has a production of 155. It has been at that same code for a couple of weeks at least.

L Lee

Maybe BMW will call each dealer and tell them when they can fix a specific bike? That way, when dealer who sold first bike fixes it, he can call BMW to tell them. Then BMW will call dealer who sold second bike and tell them it's okay to fix bike number two...and so on and so forth. That way it will be fair for all. Shouldn't take long especially if they use BMW's Customer Service force to coordinate the calls. Yes, sounds very fair and should expedite all the fixes necessary. Of course this could all blowup if number 104 is fixed before 97, because there might be a lawsuit and bring all to a halt. Just thinking out loud...pay no attention. Good luck to all in getting their bike fixed ASAP!

Let's keep it a secret

BMW knows the total number of schocks needed. They know or can accurately estimate ther replacement production rate, ie how many schocks they are producing/receiving a day/week. They know the skipping times. Therfore they know pretty accuratly how long it will take to replace all the schocks out there. Why then have they not published a estimated replacement schedule for all classes (owned, dealer, give backs) of effected bikes. For example: repairs will begin 8/18 and all repairs should be completed by ?????. I suspect that the reason the are not publishing a schedule is that it is going to take much longer than they we are expecting and if owners knew how much longer, they would have a surge of give backs, which they are trying to avoid. Obviously this is just my opinion, but why else would they be so secretive about the replacement process. I hope I am wrong but I suspect this process is going to drag on well into October.

When this process first started I thought BMW was doing the right thing for the owners and giving them a choice and letting the customer make the decision that best fit there needs. As this has draged on with little or no communication I think the process has become deplorable and shows major disrespect for there customers. It does not cost them anything to have regular e-mail communications with there customers and to keep the customers informed. So why have they not been upfront with this? It apears that some dealers are making an effort on the part of ther customers but many are just like the preverbal " deer in the headlights". I have lost all faith with BMW as far as having their customers best interest as a priority or even a concern.

Rant over.

2014 R1200RT shock delivery schedule

I thought the factory closed for August.

If the factory is closed in August it could explain the 155 production code(production complete) not changing over the last 2 weeks. I cannot recall a time in my life as a customer when I have experienced such a pervasive communication problem. It is truly systemic. I am not familiar with the process since this is my first BMW. Had a riding buddy tell me he covered 521 miles yesterday on his bike and was asking when I was going to get my bike so I could join him. After two and a half months since placing my initial deposit one would think I would have a clear picture of what to expect and when at this stage of the game. Truly disappointing.

L Lee

I've been saying for months that I think this is going to be taught for years in business schools as an example of "worst practices" when it comes to communicating with customers. And it's strictly a self inflicted wound by BMW. As I've said elsewhere, I'm near the end of patience. I bought mine five days before the stop ride order. I've set September 4 as the date that I'm either fixed or I switch from the repair to the buy back option.

If you're serious, you should start buy-back process now...you can always change your mind if they fix it before 9/4. As a recent BMW notice stated, you can opt for option one as long as you haven't yet taken delivery of buy-back check from transfer agent....about a 30 day process.

What have you been told?

I've been saying for months that I think this is going to be taught for years in business schools as an example of "worst practices" when it comes to communicating with customers. And it's strictly a self inflicted wound by BMW. As I've said elsewhere, I'm near the end of patience. I bought mine five days before the stop ride order. I've set September 4 as the date that I'm either fixed or I switch from the repair to the buy back option.

I was told by my dealer in June that the expected resolution was mid August. They were hoping for July but I never got any reason for that optimism. Friday was mid August and people are now being told to bring their bikes in for the replacement. I don't think they owe anymore communication unless the mid August deadline was no longer viable.

They have communicated when the repairs will "start." They have also said that they will be done in the order the bikes were purchased. They have not communicated when the repairs will be completed. For all I know, they made a few repair parts, are taking a month vacation, and will make more when they get back. In other words, I still don't know whether I'm days, weeks, or months from having a usable bike. Given that I purchased it in May, I don't think it's unreasonable on my part to expect to know that.

I disagree. I have not received any communication since the late July communication asking AGAIN what option I wanted. Since then I've got my information by calling AFTER producing the email some on this list received. They FINALLY gave me the time line last Monday the 11th. I did receive my Recall Notice in yesterday's mail. This was the third written communication. 1st was the original "quit ride" asking me to call BMWCS in early June. 2nd was the late July asking me what my preference was, and 3rd the recall notice.

The CS 800 number was denying any dates until I produced the email another member received!!!

Their communication has been hit or miss at best. Even the communication my dealer has received has been less than others have said their dealers have received. They have shown me what they get when they get it and it's been pretty poor.

Part of MY problem is the local rep. They sit in New Jersey, I'm in California. They answer their emails from my dealer when they get around to it (takes over a week sometimes).

I've been riding BMWs since 1978 and I've NEVER had any issues until this.

I've made a personal vow: if my bike is still unusable on 1 September, this will be my third and last BMW. On September 4, I'll switch to the buy back option.

I am in pretty much the same frame of mind. No firm date of repair, and purchased the bike in early June. It was not delivered because of the stop ride. The $2500 discount seemed pretty reasonable to await repair. There was talk of parts production being "ahead of schedule" with the implication (but never stated) that parts may be available in July. Now it appears parts will "begin" to arrive the third week of Aug.

We have a short enough riding season in Upstate NY, that if the repair stretches into Sept the $2500 does NOT seem adequate given the huge bite from that sum presented by a model year old depreciated bike in combination with possible factors like normal discounts units and incentives that would be offered at years end. In addition, the question of the number of buy back units hitting the market further deflating prices is also an unknown.

I still want the RTWC, but if it stretches into Sept for the repair, I think I'll forgo the $2500 and flip to a new order 2015.

I think this will happen quickly depending on the dealer. They want it over so I believe the dealers will try and get this done asap. Each dealer is expected to repair the bikes in order it was sold not the second bike waiting on my dealer in NC then the third waiting on the guys in JAX. We will find out Tuesday how the shocks were shipped. Peace be with all, the end is in sight.

I don't have a 2014 model, so I don't have a vested interest in this, but I'm curious why wouldn't they have discussed the repair timing with the dealers, have the dealers tell them I sold this number of ESA models and have this number of ESA bikes in stock, and that combined number is the number of replacement shocks is what BMW NA headquarters ships to them as soon as possible. I understand it wouldn't be a single days work, but like someone pointed out, will they have to wait for BMW's permission to repair a specific bike. It would seem the dealers could coordinate this better on the local level.

Back