• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 R1200RT Needs Sound System none installed

Lugar-John

I'm new to the forum and to BMW Bikes, Picking up 2008 R1200RT at the end of the month.
I'm used to passing the miles on a Harley Ultra with endless music.
I want to add a sound system to the R1200 but need assistance and guidance. I'm concerned with the electrical system on the RT.
I also will want to get the required maintenance manual/CD so I can complete all needed maintenance tasks..
Thanks to all willing to provide feedback..
God Bless and Ride safe.

This post may get a little long.....I also bought an 08 RT without sound. My approach was to do this economically but also efficient without creating a wiring mess.

My 08 has a Zumo 660 which has built in MP3 player.( You can use any other MP3 player )

I installed this J&M Itegratr 4 in the glove box with the optional 12V adapter attached. The wiring goes out the rubber plug in the bottom of the glove box. This provides FM radio, Intercom, cell connection, GPS audio and MP3, Radar detector connection, and CB or FRS connector. I used my left over headsets from my LT and built the cords to go from the unit to the steering head and left rear of the seat for the passenger connector. If you have J&M headsets from your Ultra, you can just change out the lower cord to a 6 pin and use them.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMSR-4020

And associated parts

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=229

As for the wiring on the canbus...I use an Eastern Beaver 3C fuse block installed under the seat. It only uses about 1 amp of power but the smallest fuse I had was 3 amp. I did wire it into a switched circuit so that it comes on and off with the key. ( used the GPS connector to tie it in )

This system is almost identical in function to the factory system on a BMW K1200LTE. The music mutes while the intercom is in use, the music mutes when a cell call comes in. The only difference is it does not have auto volume control. The glove box can be opened to adjust while riding but of course would be a distraction.

My unit has been installed for 2.5 years now and has worked great.

I am sure I forgot something but good luck and let me know if you have questions.

Ron

Attachments

• Intercom Install 009a.jpg
    Intercom Install 009a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 178
This post may get a little long.....I also bought an 08 RT without sound. My approach was to do this economically but also efficient without creating a wiring mess.

My 08 has a Zumo 660 which has built in MP3 player.( You can use any other MP3 player )

I installed this J&M Itegratr 4 in the glove box with the optional 12V adapter attached. The wiring goes out the rubber plug in the bottom of the glove box. This provides FM radio, Intercom, cell connection, GPS audio and MP3, Radar detector connection, and CB or FRS connector. I used my left over headsets from my LT and built the cords to go from the unit to the steering head and left rear of the seat for the passenger connector. If you have J&M headsets from your Ultra, you can just change out the lower cord to a 6 pin and use them.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMSR-4020

And associated parts

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=229

As for the wiring on the canbus...I use an Eastern Beaver 3C fuse block installed under the seat. It only uses about 1 amp of power but the smallest fuse I had was 3 amp. I did wire it into a switched circuit so that it comes on and off with the key. ( used the GPS connector to tie it in )

Ron

Thanks for the info.. sounds like this may be a winter project.. I would prefer to have sound using external speakers. My ultra sound is just sooo good and i can still have awareness to all other external sounds. I'm afraid headset may isolate me to some degree..

Do you wear a helmet? If so get a Sena Bluetooth system. All of your music right in your helmet. No ridiculously loud music to share with everyone you pass like a typical Harley.

Sound System - Maintenance

I have a 2009 RT with the built in radio, but rarely use it anymore.

I have a Garmin Zumo 665 that has my entire music library on it and it's connected via bluetooth to my Schuberth C-3 helmet.
It works great and offers the added features that go along with a GPS like pairing your cell phone so you can make/take calls on the road,
find hotels, gas stations, restaurants and assistance if you need it. Connecting the GPS is a very easy install as there is a plug-in port on
the front of your frame, you will have to pick up the pig tail connector to do this, but it will take you minutes to do this once you have it. Unless you are really into blasting tunes for all to hear, this is a great option. BMW makes a maintenance CD that costs a fair amount or you can buy a maintenance CD from Jim Von Baden, which covers everything and he shows you how to do each task step by step...I've been using it for 5 years......it's $25.00 that is well spent. I carry a copy of this CD and a BMW CD I got off E-Bay for $10 on my bike in the tank bag. The E-Bay CD primarily gives you some illustrations and parts numbers. Good luck with your choice, enjoy your RT.

I have heard many negative reviews on the COM system....i have a 2013 RT and had to order the bike to get it without the COM....it has everything else however...

i use the SENA SMH10 in my Shoei 12 Bluetooth liked to my iPhone for tunes and Zumo 660 GPS.....wonderful EASY setup.....AND i can receive phone calls and talk to my Beautiful Pillion.....

what's not to like....and a damn site cheaper than the COM system...

wyman

Sena 20s, much improved version of Sena.
It has a learning period like all the electronic stuff we put on these bikes.

'09 RT with Zumo 665 with J&M Bluetooth Elite speakers in a Shoei RF-1100

Listen to XM/books/MP3.... Nav. Directions and Pairs with phone and manages all.

I am a professional musician! Sound is stellar and can shared wired or wirelessly with passenger. I wear ear plugs (-31db) and can still hear necessary sound around me, but cuts out bad tire/wind noise noise!

Bell Mag-9 Sena 10 helmet and Sena-10 headset purchased ...

I purchased a Bell Mag-9 Sena10 Helmet and the Bluetooth headset.
Helmet cost 179.00 Sena 10 cost 159.00, Then had to purchase 39.99 proper headset helmet unit for Mag-9...
Taking trip from St Louis to Arkansas Hub Hotel this weekend will comment on operation and use after this trip.
Initial setup seemed to have issue getting left helmet speaker properly positioned for best sound, will pair to I-Pod for trio.
Only worry so far is the length that the battery will keep unit working..
Will post again after the trip..

MAG-9 SENA 10 headset..

I purchased a Bell Mag-9 Sena10 Helmet and the Bluetooth headset.
Helmet cost 179.00 Sena 10 cost 159.00, Then had to purchase 39.99 proper headset helmet unit for Mag-9...
Taking trip from St Louis to Arkansas Hub Hotel this weekend will comment on operation and use after this trip.
Initial setup seemed to have issue getting left helmet speaker properly positioned for best sound, will pair to I-Pod for trio.
Only worry so far is the length that the battery will keep unit working..
Will post again after the trip..

Took the trip great rides and fellowship.
Not very happy with the wind noise seemed a little much on this helmet. The Sena 10 sound was not as clear or with enough volume to hear very well. I'm not happy with the sound or volume levels out of pairing to two different I-Pods..
I'm not sure I would recommend this setup. I could never seem to get the left speaker properly located..

Not very happy with the wind noise seemed a little much on this helmet. The Sena 10 sound was not as clear or with enough volume to hear very well. I'm not happy with the sound or volume levels out of pairing to two different I-Pods..
I'm not sure I would recommend this setup. I could never seem to get the left speaker properly located..

Your experience is what I have read over and over on various forums. That is the reason I went with the J&M Integratr 4 setup. Its amp has more than enough power for volume and the clarity of a wired system is a must for me. I also didn't want the inconvenience of having to charge batteries.

Ron

the "stick-in" speakers are great for young undamaged ears....precisely why i use custom molded earphone/plugs....sound clarity is superb and the ambient noise reduction is also quite good....~27db....much better than foam earplugs....

just my 2 cents worth...

wyman

Back