• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT Tankbag Zipper

Kenn45

I am having a problem with the zipper in my tank bag. It separates easily leaving the bag open, and sometimes fails to close when I try to zip it up. Has anyone had a similar problem? Has anyone had the zipper replaced? What kind of shop did the work? Did you use the same zipper or go for a more robust one?

Have I had this happen? No.

And, it's pretty clear to me it will require quite a bit of stress to cause it to happen. Beyond design limits, that is.

If the zipper is separating naturally below where it was zipped, it usually means that it is off by a tooth on one side. You can remove the upper or lower stops to rezip it properly. Then put the stop back in place. If the stop is below the sewing, you might need someone to cut it open and resew it.

If the zipper doesn't glide up-and-down easily use a little bee's wax (or chap stick).

Motorradmike's method works.
This is what I advised back when I used to rebuild tank bags:

Zipper preventive maintenance & repair

Here is your chance to "do it yourself" following these simple directions. First it is important to clean and lubricate your tankbag zippers. They are full of the road grime that you routinely wash off of your bike. I use a silicon spray, apply liberally, wipe zipper with a clean rag, reapply and operate the slide. What a difference!

You should also be aware that most, but not all BMW tankbags use locking tab zippers. To release the lock you pull out on the pull tab, perpendicular from the direction of the slide travel.

If you have a zipper that separates after being closed, you can often repair this by squeezing the slide together with a pair of pliers. You want to squeeze it just slightly, not to the point that the slide binds on the cloth portion of the zipper.

Note: This method works on any zipper that is not too worn, including jackets, pants and Stitches. Lube your tent zippers too, nothing worse than a 2AM nature call and being unable to get out!

I am having a problem with the zipper in my tank bag. It separates easily leaving the bag open, and sometimes fails to close when I try to zip it up. Has anyone had a similar problem? Has anyone had the zipper replaced? What kind of shop did the work? Did you use the same zipper or go for a more robust one?

We live in Wheaton, IL, and have a great cobbler who does repair on luggage, shoes, anything I think. he did an incredible job repairing my BMW riding boots. Might be a local guy in your area worth letting him take a look

Thanks. I will try giving it a gentle squeeze and see what happens. Also, lube it with silicon. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Same problem......

I did the gentle squeeze and lubrication suggestion and it worked perfectly!

The zipper on my soft "lunch box" blew out a couple of weeks ago and I was planning on looking for a new one today. Now I don't' need to. Wooohooo, it's sooo cool to learn a new trick! :dance

Back