Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2004 R1150R - Need Battery Suggestions

2004 R1150R - Need Battery Suggestions

Hi Everybody,

As you may recall, I'm the one who has the 2004 R1150R with battery issues (like a dummy, I forgot to disconnect it during the winter, and it discharged; throw in getting severe dermatitis in the spring [resulting in the bike sitting idle for a couple of addtional months], and it just added to the battery woes). Well, I did get my machine jump started from my car (it turned out that my jumper cable connections weren't good enough, when my previous jump start attempts failed), and took it out for a short spin, to see if the battery would recharge even a little bit. Things were going well until a mile out from home, when I missed my turn to loop around and head back towards home (I was going to ride around the neighborhood, so I wouldn't get stranded too far from home if things went wrong). I eased off the throttle to turn in a parking lot and head back towards home, and my R1150R died. As a result, I got to push a 500 lb motorcycle a mile, to get back home!

Obviously the battery is basically putting such an electrical load on the system, that the alternator can't supply enough current to keep everything running at idle. Soooo, no waiting to get a new battery, and trying to eke things out on the current battery, I need to get a new battery now.

I have a question - do I go OEM for a replacement battery, or is there a better aftermarket battery that I should go with instead? Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by ellengtrgrl; 08-11-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Battery-odyssey PC680

I replaced my 03R1150R battery with an Odyssey PC680 that I keep on a trickle charger. Works great still, after 5 years

Don
    Last edited by 106372; 08-08-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Mispelling

+1 on the PC 680.
    Bill Johnston

I just looked up the Westco on Beemerboneyard and it's only $80!
    I say get that one and don't mess around making the PC-680 fit. You've missed enough riding already.

Also, when you get the new battery installed, do the test ride close to home again.
    It seems odd that the bike stalled after a good warm-up, and not right away.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

A good warm-up for the engine is not really a factor - if a weak or dead battery is sucking up the alternator/regulator output, there really isn't enough juice to supply the ignition at lower rpm.

I think the PC-680 requires a little "adapting" at the positive post (anybody confirm?), making the Westco closer to a drop-in fit, which is a factor here.

And if you can, give the new one a trickle charge at least over-night (more is better) before you install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    A good warm-up for the engine is not really a factor - if a weak or dead battery is sucking up the alternator/regulator output, there really isn't enough juice to supply the ignition at lower rpm.

I think the PC-680 requires a little "adapting" at the positive post (anybody confirm?), making the Westco closer to a drop-in fit, which is a factor here.

And if you can, give the new one a trickle charge at least over-night (more is better) before you install it.
    I got my PC-680 from Amazon (they had as a good of a price as anyone) and bonus was that it came with an adaptor. I did have to improvise a bit more positive post insulation, as the fit for an 11S is quite tight. Never had to replace the OEM battery on my R, so my knowledge is a bit deficient there. (like in so many other areas! LOL)

Cheers!

PS. No way I'd install a new battery without a fresh charge...overnight on a "good" trickle charger should do just fine...
    Bill Johnston

Thanks for the info guys! I'm thinking of going with the Westco. Is it a gel cell like the stock battery is?

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    I just looked up the Westco on Beemerboneyard and it's only $80!
    I say get that one and don't mess around making the PC-680 fit. You've missed enough riding already.

Also, when you get the new battery installed, do the test ride close to home again.
    It seems odd that the bike stalled after a good warm-up, and not right away.
    I don't think it's odd the bike stalled. The motronic controller is very voltage sensitive as are the injectors and the ABS etc.. Wasn't she riding around with a very dead battery that wouldn't take a charge on a bike that was jump started? That explains the stall I think.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

The Westco is an "absorbed glass mat" battery; you can Google the differences between battery types.

Beemer Boneyard has a little info on their site; also see http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....tco-vs-BMW-Gel.

Discussing batteries is akin to tires and oil - everybody has their preferences, and everybody has good and bad things to say about each type or brand...

My "dead battery" pile is usually about 80% Westco.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    My "dead battery" pile is usually about 80% Westco.
    Precisely why I use Odyssey's
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Precisely why I use Odyssey's
    Odyssey. No contest. Adapter, assuming you have a hammer and a drill, go to the lumber yard and get a 1/4 inch copper tube union sweat fitting. Mash it flat. Drill holes and bend 90 degrees as needed.

Done, and copper, not the cheesy steel thing I got with my battery.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I don't think it's odd the bike stalled. The motronic controller is very voltage sensitive as are the injectors and the ABS etc.. Wasn't she riding around with a very dead battery that wouldn't take a charge on a bike that was jump started? That explains the stall I think.

Yup! But, at the time I jump started it, I hoped it wasn't as dead, as it turned out to be. Oh well.

As for everybody else - thanks for the input!

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellengtrgrl View Post
    Yup! But, at the time I jump started it, I hoped it wasn't as dead, as it turned out to be. Oh well.

As for everybody else - thanks for the input!
    You can get an Odyssey battery from Amazon and many other places. I've bought a few from these guys and they ship free in the USA and include the L adaptor kit. http://sepbatteries.com/pc680-odyssey-battery
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by ellengtrgrl View Post
    As you may recall, I'm the one who has the 2004 R1150R with battery issues...

Obviously the battery is basically putting such an electrical load on the system, that the alternator can't supply enough current to keep everything running at idle.
    Chances are you are having other issues and not battery issues.

And your battery isn't putting a load on your electrical system...your electrical devices are. Even at idle, I charge at 13.9 V.

Stock battery works for me.