• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Avon Storm 3D X-M for an R1100S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Aside from the cumbersome name, does anyone have any input on these tires?

I am currently running Michelin Roads which have served me very well but I'm always up for trying something new so I figured I'd give these a whirl. Before I do, has anyone else here tried these tires?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Not that exact one but I did try the Avon Storm Ultra II and it was a great tire but wore out too fast compared to Michelins.

I have a set on a 2014 Triumph Trophy

I have 2000 miles on them and I like them a lot. Handling is much better than the Pirelli Angels that came on the bike. The Pirellis were to the cords in 7000 miles. The Avons show no appreciable wear yet. The XM is supposed to be engineered for the heavier, more powerful bikes like the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki 1400. Not fair to compare them to the Storm Ultras as they are a different tire. Short answer, I like em. Very good in the rain too.

Thanks for this, Guys.

Barring any negative input from others, I'll be fitting a set of these in two weeks. I will report my impressions.

Motorrad ranked them last in their latest (sport) touring tire test. Lesen Sie Deutsch? No, use a browser with a translator.

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorr...8055-zr-17-im-test-endwertung/553628?seite=12

In my personal quest for economical traction on obsolete rubber, I ran my PR2 until I couldn't keep the two string plugs in it from leaking. That was about 500 miles after this photo.
IMAGE_28.jpg

In the last 1000 miles or so on the tire, it had been progressively losing traction, first in the wet and towards the end, in the dry as well. Given the lack of power from an RS, I'd say the tire was giving up. All told, I got nearly 6000 miles out of the tire which was purchased as a nearly new take off with an April 2010 date stamp.

I ordered an Angel GT to replace it and threw on my spare wheel with a well used 2008 Diablo Strada on it. Despite looking like snot and being older, it has far more grip in the corners than the worn out PR2 I just removed. In the dry at least, it is a good match to the 1/2 worn PR2 on the front. IT is really worn down in the denter, but there is plenty of meat left for cornering and it is still pretty sticky.
IMAGE_34.jpg

I'm just hoping the new Angel GT isn't so much better than my PR2 front that I have to get a matching front right away. I should know within a week when I swap and replace the FD oil.

Motorrad ranked them last in their latest (sport) touring tire test. Lesen Sie Deutsch? No, use a browser with a translator.

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorr...8055-zr-17-im-test-endwertung/553628?seite=12

Thanks for this. It appears that the Michelins and other tires excelled in the wet test however the advantages over one another was negligible on the dry country road test - no great surprise, I'd say. I haven't ridden in the rain in over a year (and when I do I am the epitome of Mr. Chickensh*t) so its really not that important to me. But I certainly appreciate the input. Danke! :thumb

Avon tires have been ordered.

Thanks for this. It appears that the Michelins and other tires excelled in the wet test however the advantages over one another was negligible on the dry country road test - no great surprise, I'd say. I haven't ridden in the rain in over a year (and when I do I am the epitome of Mr. Chickensh*t) so its really not that important to me. But I certainly appreciate the input. Danke! :thumb

Avon tires have been ordered.

I also should have mentioned that it is last place in a short list of excellent tires. Sort of like finishing off the podium at Moto GP, still near the top of the heap, just not on the rostrum. It is also worth mentioning that the Pirelli Angel GT was the winner last year and this year it is the second, second place tire. There has been a lot of development and progression in the sport touring tire arena and the life span and performance of the current offerings are pretty darn impressive.

16 miles in the cool (60 F) on mixed dry / damp roads this morning and so far I'm liking the Angel GT. Haven't really pushed it yet, but it hasn't shown any interest in breaking loose either.

2-%252016%2520mile%2520Pirelli%2520Angle%2520GT.JPG

16 miles in the cool (60 F) on mixed dry / damp roads this morning and so far I'm liking the Angel GT. Haven't really pushed it yet, but it hasn't shown any interest in breaking loose either.

Pin the throttle in second over a wet, painted white line and get back to me. Kidding! :laugh

I'm scheduled for a tire-ectomy next week and will keep you posted.

Pin the throttle in second over a wet, painted white line and get back to me. Kidding! :laugh

I was in first instead of second, but it only broke loose briefly and hooked back up without getting out of the throttle in probably a half inch of water pulling away from a stop. I was accelerating hard enough for the bike to pull the front slightly over the center crown of the road I was crossing. I only had one fun turn yesterday after it started raining. In the dry, it is mildly amusing at 40MPH. I ran it in second gear in a heavy rain at about 35 MPH. The PR2 on the front started to move a bit so I stood the bike up a touch and rolled on the throttle. The front gained composure as usual, but the rear didn't budge like it would have in the past with the PR2. In the dry, The Angel GT is pretty much on par with the previous PR2 exept that it seems to turn in easier / more quickly and likes to stay leaned over more than the PR2 did. It was raining hard enough that the tire grooves in the road were filled with water and there were many areas with an inch or two of water flowing over the road. I've just been commuting on the bike lately and not every day, so I only have 300 - 400 miles on the Angel GT rear so far.

Angel GT rear at 425 miles on 2014-08-28:
IMG_2606.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for that, RXC. I've postponed my tire swap as the PR2s are refusing to cooperate and wear out on MY schedule. Will change after my next 3,000 km trip which happens next week.

OK, so I finally wore out my Michelin PR2s. 18,000 km on them. Front was at the wear bar, rear probably had another 1,500 left in it. But I have now mounted the Avons so here are my (very initial) impressions.

1. Steers heavier than the PR2 which was a bit of a surprise as whenever I've mounted new tires they have steered quicker. Especially when you look at the peaked profile of the Avons. So, going from straight up to enter a corner, you do need to use a bit more muscle. Going from one side to the other, you need to use a little more muscle. Not a lot more but it is noticeable.

2. Bump absorption is very nice. Quite a smooth riding tire.

3. Holding a line is excellent. Once you've initiated a turn, no matter what degree of lean, it feels like you're on a rail. Even mid-corner bumps don't upset the line. We're not talking knee-dragging speeds here however I was very impressed.

4. I doubt I will ever feather the front tire to its edge. I got to within about a sixteenth of an inch with the front PR2 but the tread on the Avon wraps around significantly more. Looks like I'll be using the belt sander before I head down to the local Starbucks. :D
The rear tire profile is similar to other manufacturers' tires.

5. Wet weather performance is still a mystery as we've had no rain.

6. Longevity is a similar mystery 'cause I haven't put enough mileage on them to judge.

So there you have it, one man's subjective opinion. Ride safely!

I now have 7500 miles on my XMs. 3800 of that was a two up, very overloaded trip to the Black Hills. We were lucky enough to be accompanied home by a cold front which meant we rode over 1000 miles in the rain and on wet roads. The tires were great in the rain, they always felt planted and we had no scary moments whatsoever. The rear tire is actually wearing better than the front tire and looks like it can go another 7500. I don't think the front will last as long as the rear, but it is wearing evenly and still handles great. These tires are a huge improvement over the Pirelli Angels that came on my bike, they were junk from day one as far as handling and the cord was showing at 7000 miles. I have always been happy with the Avon Storm line of tires and I already have another set of
XMs in the garage waiting for their turn on my bike.

They were the ST. They were twitchy on grooved surfaces, not great in the wet either. The rear was showing cord at 7100 miles.

I ran one of the STs as a front and didn't love it. The new compound for the GT got such good reviews that I decided to give it a try. so far it feels much better, but I don't have one on the front yet.

Back