• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picking up a fallen bike - Alternative

I'm working on there not being a next time!! That really pops up quickly...I wonder how much stress it puts on the handlebar and/or mounts?

Maybe it only works in Aruba? :stick

I'm not seeing this method working for me...

i-GJNPt8L-L.jpg

...or these guys. :banghead

i-t8wfrkz-L.png

Good thing the video was clear; between the music and the wind noise it was pretty unintelligible.

thanks for posting. will give it a try during my next parking lot tip over. that's the only times it seems to happen to me (knock on wood)

Sure looks easy, the way they do it. But watching the video a second time it struck me why it looks so easy: the lower handlebar is already at knee height. The pix posted above show the handlebar on the ground, which will make the lift considerably harder to do. I'm not sure how my R-RT would lie on its side (hope never to find out!) but it looks like the cylinder head and pannier would keep the handlebar up quite a bit.

How 'bout it RT owners? How is it picking up your bike? Others?

pete
2011 R-RT

How not to drop your motorcycle in the first place.

Sorry... couldn't resist. I got to the end of the OP's video post, and there this was.

You might want to check out these other links.

It was this post below in our club forum that prompted my post.

"If any of you struggle to lift your bike, there's a group buy in the works on the ADVRider site for a bike hoist.

LINKY: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998290.

Hoist in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzecbg5-KEY.

I know for most of you strapping, lumberjack types in BMWBMW, lifting isn't an issue, but I always welcome a hand when picking up my 471 lb behemoth. Hope this is helpful to someone out there."

I have had two instances where I could not pick up my bike by myself. The first time I was on my property and got wedged between two trees. No way I was getting it up by myself. I went to my garage and put together a kit consisting of a 5 to 1 block and tackle, some caribiners, and rope. I actually lifted the bike off the ground. I carry most of this with me all the time.

i-T7f7xXr-M.jpg

Here is the second time I used the block and tackle. Between the slope of the stream bank, and rocks that were slick as snot, I was not lifting this bike by myself. I was able to rig the block and tackle to the bush, and lift the bike up.

i-cnP8wRF-L.jpg

I am not too concerned about getting trapped underneath the bike. When it starts to go down, I get as far away from it as possible.

Hey Reidac

sorry.. REID

I hate to admit this, but I'm not sure how to use a block and tackle (I can hear it now, sitting around the next YB campfire)

sdc

I have had two instances where I could not pick up my bike by myself. The first time I was on my property and got wedged between two trees. No way I was getting it up by myself. I went to my garage and put together a kit consisting of a 5 to 1 block and tackle, some caribiners, and rope. I actually lifted the bike off the ground. I carry most of this with me all the time.

i-T7f7xXr-M.jpg

Here is the second time I used the block and tackle. Between the slope of the stream bank, and rocks that were slick as snot, I was not lifting this bike by myself. I was able to rig the block and tackle to the bush, and lift the bike up.

i-cnP8wRF-L.jpg

I am not too concerned about getting trapped underneath the bike. When it starts to go down, I get as far away from it as possible.

Let Wikipedia be your friend! :clap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_and_tackle

Depending on how it is set up, it provides mechanical advantage. Instead of trying to lift something that weighs 500 lbs by pulling on a rope using 500 lbs from your arms, you develop mechanical advantage such that you life 500 lbs by using say 50 lbs from your arms. That's the advantage.

It's time to play ... . Photo Caption Contest :bolt

"Unseen on the hill, Doug was there with his trusty .303, making sure these motorsikkles would intrude no further."

OR

Walking back to his mates, one of the riders was heard to say, "But I've got all the best farkles that website said to install. My bike is supposed to be awesome off road!"

Last edited:
Back