• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heat 2013 R1200RT

05biggray

Hi All,I am on my 3rd R1200RT 2005 2009 and new 2013. I know the weather has been hot however in S Fl in summer its all way's hot. This 2013 generates I believe more heat up from the engine .I especially feel this at stop lights and slow speeds. Engine temp is normal. I have also driven many 500 mile plus day's with no problem. Am I having old age hot flashes or has any one else experienced this.
Thanks Dave

Hi All,I am on my 3rd R1200RT 2005 2009 and new 2013. I know the weather has been hot however in S Fl in summer its all way's hot. This 2013 generates I believe more heat up from the engine .I especially feel this at stop lights and slow speeds. Engine temp is normal. I have also driven many 500 mile plus day's with no problem. Am I having old age hot flashes or has any one else experienced this.
Thanks Dave

I have a 2011 R1200RT. Love the bike but my only complaint is the heat behind the screen when outside temperatures exceed 85*F. I find it unbearable and don't ride the RT when it's hot. I wear mess clothing and am only 48 years old so I don't think it's "MAN"opause:laugh.

Thanks Dave

I live in the DFW area and it really gets hot here. I feel absolutely no heat coming off the motor on my '13 RT. (Now my '10 Road Glide used to cook me.)

I will be 70 in a couple of weeks and can't take the heat as well as I used to. I try to be back home by 11 am during July and August.

I have a 2011 R1200RT. Love the bike but my only complaint is the heat behind the screen when outside temperatures exceed 85*F. I find it unbearable and don't ride the RT when it's hot. I wear mess clothing and am only 48 years old so I don't think it's "MAN"opause:laugh.

Just to clarify, the heat issue is not due to excessive engine heat. It's just too darn hot behind all that plastic in ATGATT.

Note my other RT in my signature. I'm 62. I'm also ATGATT. Things used to be worse. I'm guessing if this was copied to the Flying Brick forum that there would be a lot of these - :laugh:violin

:hide

Believe the RT line, including the '13 is one of the best heat management machines running. Yes, put your hand over the triple clamp area at speed and heat comes up, but dissipates quite quickly. Those alloy heads run relatively "cool"...all in all well isolated from any heat, as compared to water-cooled units and Harley's. Though I will say the Wet Head models run fairly "cool" as well.

My 2012 ran hot until I replaced the header with a cat-less Remus head pipe. Runs cooler and much stronger.

RT heat

I only noticed it when I was crossing Nevada in June. It got down to 40 degreess on I-80 near Wells. I accidentally put my hands by the triple tree.

Bernie

But it's a dry heat...

I'm on my third RT, too. My current one is a 2013. Mine has been in 115 degree heat and so far hasn't overheated. I wouldn't want to ride on any bike when it's this hot in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but in normal stop and go traffic it's fine.

I dont notice it on my 08

But then, I put over 50k on a 2003 FJR and every one thought they were a furnace!
Seriously, I have ridden mine thru a recorded 103 degree day, hot yes, but still rideable

Heat on RT

I have a 2010 RT and I agree there can be a lot of heat coming up ahead of the handlebars. I recently put on a new Aeroflow shield to give me a little more protection and reduce the noise. Works great but it is considerably warmer. Less air flow. I live in Canada in the summer and Yuma in the winter. Could be an issue there ? At last years rally I bought a Macna (sp) cooling vest and used it last winter in Yuma and it easily drops my core temps 10 deg. I wear a mesh jacket in the heat and Motoport stretch Kevlar pants all the time.

Don't know if that helps but I would consider a cooling vest. I know what you mean when you wear ATGALT and it is warm.

Back