• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley Recall

/ Mod hat on /

Kent -

It would be best all the way around if you would provide more insight on your comments rather than just throw down a lawn sausage and walk off. Care to enlighten us as to your thought process?? :whistle

/ Mod hat off /

Lawn sausage. I love it. Thank you, you made my day. :brad

Wellston wrote:

"if you were paying attention..." "DUH DUDE"

You sir, are not a complete azzhole, but it's nice to see that with your fantastic people skills, you're working on it.

Dude,

Do you have any line of reasoning that controverts mine? Surely not or you would have written it. But go ahead and "almost" call me a name. You need to be able to take what you dish. And this isn't MSNBC man. We are talking about motorcycle stuff here.

Wellston.

Last edited:
I guess I don't get it.

If Harley could easily slightly raise their redline (for, I presume, a slight increase in power) with no other bad effects than the switch, why didn't they build the bike that way in the first place with a switch which would handle the extra RPM? (Would think that somehow increasing the redline on any BMW would VOID the warrantee - and should.) The companies must know SOMETHING when they set redlines.

If BMW fuel strips STILL frequently fail (so this wasn't just a question of installing a bad batch that needed one-time replacement) how does providing a 12 year warrantee serve either the company or the customer? A repeated expense for the company (part and labor) and BOTH an expense (taking the bike to a dealership,) and a nuisance for the customer. How does this make sense?

My '92 K100RS has a "low fuel" light which gives me fair warning and ALSO a very accurate fuel gauge. I rather doubt either were "state of the art" even then. So am I just one of the lucky ones that didn't have either go wonky over the years, or was there another reason for switching to fuel strips? Maybe the old system couldn't give a digital read-out?

My newest car has all this new fuel stuff (average mpg since last fill-up, projected range until fill-up, etc. and I don't trust it. When I do the arithmetic, the mpg is always a bit worse than the computer indicates.) But the fuel gauge does seem to be very accurate. Maybe we are all the beta testers as the companies work out the bugs for a much better way of telling how much farther you can go on that tank of gas. For BMW owners with "the strip," I understand you are paying a pretty high price.

It must be that BMW now has what they judge to be a stock of non-defective fuel strips as replacements. After all, what's the point of doing a recall to replace defective parts with defective parts?

It must be that BMW now has what they judge to be a stock of non-defective fuel strips as replacements. After all, what's the point of doing a recall to replace defective parts with defective parts?

I sincerely hope your are right. I've read posts of people having these fuel strips replaced multiple times, so they certainly didn't solve the problem after the first bad batch. Be interesting to hear if there are any failures on the most recent ones. Since I haven't seen any link to a "12 year warrantee" on the new fuel strips, could one of you provide that?

Also, let's tone down the language so this thread doesn't vanish. Explained differences of opinion are great - we all learn something. Short-hand profanity or veiled attacks on a person serve none of us.

Thank you.

Also, let's tone down the language so this thread doesn't vanish. Explained differences of opinion are great - we all learn something. Short-hand profanity or veiled attacks on a person serve none of us.

Thank you.
:thumb
OM

" Harley said in documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the motorcycles are limited at the factory to 5,600 RPMs, but Harley offers performance calibrations that let the engine rev higher than the limit. If the bikes hit 5,800 RPMs, the top engine mount bracket can vibrate too much and cause the ignition switches to malfunction.

The company said it began looking into the problem after its service department discovered that an ignition switch slipped out of the "on" position in testing. Harley found four warranty claims and complaints about the problem, all in bikes with non-Harley exhaust systems."

Setting aside the BMW/H-D corporate morality issue, isn't it amazing that a vehicle can be produced and marketed based on the noise (i.e., vibration level) it produces? H-D and the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are just hitting a brick wall in the Physics Playground..........If you want a high noise level, you need to produce aerodynamic pressure waves.....that means vibration. Eventually, that vibration will yield fatigue failure......somewhere on the vehicle or the next door neighbor.

I sincerely hope your are right. I've read posts of people having these fuel strips replaced multiple times, so they certainly didn't solve the problem after the first bad batch. Be interesting to hear if there are any failures on the most recent ones. Since I haven't seen any link to a "12 year warrantee" on the new fuel strips, could one of you provide that?

Thank you.

"Most recent" models went back to floats...strips are history like their "power" brakes.

"The motorcycle would stall while riding, increasing the risk of a crash," the agency (NHTSA) said.

Sounds like what could happen if you ran out of fuel due to an erroneous fuel level reading as a result of having a defective fuel strip.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/harley-recalls-bikes-ignition-switch-problem-24803206

(The qoute at the top is from today's Wall Street Journal)

I see this Harley issue no different at all than a common issue some of us (including me) have experienced with sudden FPC failures on our BMWs. I was on an extremely busy expressway in the Left hand lane with no escape route travelling ~120Kph surrounded by cars and most importantly one very close behind me when mine failed. RTs slow down REAL FAST with no fuel and I can say I had a few seconds of great concern as I managed to squeeze left as far as possible against the median to avoid being hit from behind. There is no BMW recall for the replacement part even though I firmly believe this is an issue that compromises safety. They do have a different recall for the potential water ingress issue however that was not I experienced what my bike.

Therefore I do acknowledge Harley as recognizing a safety issue and at least responding to it. In BMWs cause it was not acknowledged or responded to.

Dude,

Do you have any line of reasoning that controverts mine? Surely not or you would have written it. But go ahead and "almost" call me a name. You need to be able to take what you dish. And this isn't MSNBC man. We are talking about motorcycle stuff here.

Wellston.

DUDE,
It's in my post. If you had been paying attention you might have seen it.

I would also seriously doubt a manufacturer's claim that the fault only occurs within a small window at a RPM range that the user isn't even supposed to operate in. Why then recall a vehicle for a fault that only occurs when the product is only being used in a manner not intended? Why not then recall it for not performing well off-road? I also have doubts that the fault can ONLY occur at that vibration level at that RPM range. Who's to say that vibration doesn't happen in other ways at other speeds too? Sorry, but my B.S. warning went off.

I see this Harley issue no different at all than a common issue some of us (including me) have experienced with sudden FPC failures on our BMWs. I was on an extremely busy expressway in the Left hand lane with no escape route travelling ~120Kph surrounded by cars and most importantly one very close behind me when mine failed. RTs slow down REAL FAST with no fuel and I can say I had a few seconds of great concern as I managed to squeeze left as far as possible against the median to avoid being hit from behind. There is no BMW recall for the replacement part even though I firmly believe this is an issue that compromises safety. They do have a different recall for the potential water ingress issue however that was not I experienced what my bike.

Therefore I do acknowledge Harley as recognizing a safety issue and at least responding to it. In BMWs cause it was not acknowledged or responded to.

GM recently recalled a bunch of new vehicles for inaccurate fuel gauges. http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/03/autos/gm-suv-recall/index.html

"Most recent" models went back to floats...strips are history like their "power" brakes.

If your statement is fact, it raises other questions: 1. Can the float system give the digital readouts of the strip system? 2. If so, why did BMW not replace faulty strips with a float system? Or did they start using float systems again before they found "the final answer" to the fuel strip problem? And I am questioning whether they did.

I think it fair to say that very few of us care how our gas gauge (or digital readout work.) We simply want it to be pretty accurate and not have a flashing light when you know you have a half tank of fuel.

So, has this problem been resolved for new bikes and have the folks with problems had them resolved without charge?

Am I asking the right questions?

The first K bikes had fuel strips and BMW had to go to floats due to the strips being no good. Looks like that lesson was lost in the following years.

The first K bikes had fuel strips and BMW had to go to floats due to the strips being no good. Looks like that lesson was lost in the following years.

OK, since I owned number 30 of the initial US production lot of the K75c (1986) and it had no fuel strip (just a low fuel level warning light), what early K-models are you talking about?

Back