• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have the Wethead Bug

rich

I am pondering trading my 07 R12GS in for a 14 R12GSW. It appears the new bike has lots of upgrades over my current ride, admittedly not actually necessary ones for my continuing BMW ownership, but when you get the bug what does that matter.. :laugh The one upgrade that I am really looking forward to is cruise control. I have used cruise in another bike and love it.

You guys that have the new GS Wetheads, are there any regrets? I would like to hear from others who have made a similar move. The 07 still puts a grin on my face every time I ride it, and to continue riding it would not be a bad thing at all. I just want to know how the 14 stacks up to it.

I am looking at the alpine white. I've lusted for a white GS and even thought about painting my 07 at one time.

Talk me into it, talk me out of it. I would sure like some feedback!

Thanks.

Rich

No regrets. I went from an '05 GS to a '13 GSW. Yes, cruise control is much better than an after marker throttle lock.

I custom ordered my bike as there were specific things I DIDN'T want (the GPS prep kit, for one). I did want Dynamic ESA and riding modes. I know some are not fans of ESA, but as best as I can tell most of the negative comments come from people who have never ridden the new bike. They are thinking of the old ESA which was not much more than a convenience add on to change preload and damping. Dynamic ESA is a different animal. I think the Dynamic ESA on my GSW is better than the Ohlins I had on the GS. The big unknown is how long will they last. Until I have to replace or rebuild (assuming rebuild is an option) I'm a very happy camper. I should note that my riding weight is probably close to BMWs design level. If I weighed in at 250 pounds I might feel different about the suspension.

Switching the riding mode from Enduro to Dynamic is like switching bikes.

I am pondering trading my 07 R12GS in for a 14 R12GSW.

Recommend trading for a 2015 rather than a 2014 GS. The 2015's will have the heavier crankshaft/flywheel of the GSA. I have ridden the GS and the GSA and the throttle response on the GSA is significantly smoother.

My soon to be wife has a 2014 GSW and we both love it. I've dragged my knee with her on the back and she's embarrassed a few sportbikes on twisty roads. We've done 800 mile days with her GSW and my camhead RT. Her GSW does nice power wheelies. The difference in the feel of the clutch alone is worth upgrading. I want a GSW now.

I too have the itch. I was debating the purchase of a 1951 restored Willies army jeep but that has 99% fallen through and I'm really just looking for an investment and I can't think of a better one then my riding pleasure.
:heart

During bike week in Daytona, oh around 2003 or 04 I test rode a 1150GS and I loved it comparing to my 81 R80GS it was amazing. I have thought about a used one and I'm think there might be a lot to choose from as GS riders sell theirs to upgrade?
If I buy a new one I'll wait for the 2015's to hit the floor and either get a left over 2014 at a hopefully reduced price or the 2015 and get the latest greatest. Time will tell?

Personally, I think the wethead update is one of the most significant BMW has ever done. I had a '13 R1200RT camhead and traded it in on a '14 R1200GW and am still amazed at the difference. The wethead is a total game changer, paradigm shift, or whatever trendy description you like. My GS is literally the best motorcycle I have ever owned, and that spans about 45 years of riding. It is not better on the road than the camhead, but of course I can now go dualsporting (within reason). As long as I avoid the temptation to head down those interesting looking singletracks it does quite nicely offroad. The electronic riding controls are magic and just plain work -- they've already saved my butt a few times, both on and off the road.

Don't ride one if you're not prepared to write a check!

I have taken the plunge. Thanks for the replies. This thing is totally amazing, to say the least.

IMG_1112-XL.jpg

No regrets. I went from an '05 GS to a '13 GSW. Yes, cruise control is much better than an after marker throttle lock.

I custom ordered my bike as there were specific things I DIDN'T want (the GPS prep kit, for one). I did want Dynamic ESA and riding modes. I know some are not fans of ESA, but as best as I can tell most of the negative comments come from people who have never ridden the new bike. They are thinking of the old ESA which was not much more than a convenience add on to change preload and damping. Dynamic ESA is a different animal. I think the Dynamic ESA on my GSW is better than the Ohlins I had on the GS. The big unknown is how long will they last. Until I have to replace or rebuild (assuming rebuild is an option) I'm a very happy camper. I should note that my riding weight is probably close to BMWs design level. If I weighed in at 250 pounds I might feel different about the suspension.

Switching the riding mode from Enduro to Dynamic is like switching bikes.

Marc,

I had the same concern, but Morton's BMW has been sending in theirs for repair/rebuild for $300 each, so that worry is no longer an issue. This was apparently a couple leakers that were out of warranty for miles.

Thanks for that info, Jim. That's not much more than I paid to have the Ohlin's on the '05 re-built last time and that was long enough ago that the cost might now be about the same!

However, I was recently looking at what it took to get to the shock. I didn't remove much more than saddle and muffler on the hexhead. A lot more has to come off on the wethead; lots of little stuff is removed so you can raise the rear frame to get at the strut.

I have taken the plunge. Thanks for the replies. This thing is totally amazing, to say the least.

IMG_1112-XL.jpg

Nice bike, Rich. I am very interested in a new GS. I'd get the white one, like yours. I'm 6'4" and with a 36" inseam, so I am at the far right of the bell curve for inseam, and that new GS would fit me better than my old RT. I also like the locking GPS mount, no splines to lube, and cruise control. I like the side-opening Vario cases, too.

Ride safe,

Harry

Back