• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bing carb question, 1982 R100RT

ocoinji

My bing carbs seem to weeping gas from what looks like a little brass pin located just to the side of the "bing" label near its bottom edge, picture attached. What is this pin? Is it a swaged in plug? Can i simply put a little epoxy over it to seal it or is it some type of vent? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 65
I would not seal it, but instead look into the reasons the gas is leaking. Is the float set wrong resulting in the gas being too high, or dirty seat, worn seat. A bit of troubleshooting will solve this without modifying the carbs. My last airhead would do this from time to time due to swelled floats. Once in awhile, after being parked a while, they would stick in the float bowl, preventing the valve from shutting off the gas. New floats, along with a few other needed parts, was all it took.

Wayne

Checkout Snowbum's Carb dissertation

Search "Snowbum Carbs"......you'll find out more than you want on Airhead carbs......excellent discussion(s) on Bing issues!!!! BTDT recently....don't know enuf to help you... : (

I do plan on digging into the carb (i've rebuilt them before) but i was unsure the function of the feature i made mention of. If is just a plug, no harm in sealing it. There is no way to seal it otherwise, by peening that is.

Jim,

I wouldn't disturb that pin unless you are 100% sure it is leaking. I agree with toooldtocare's advice above. I'm guessing the discoloration may not be coming from the pin you're speaking of but the bowl overflow vent located just behind and slightly under the black Bing badge. See it?

Back