• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windscreen ...

Tebpac

Todd
Hi all,
I have noticed that I am getting what appears to be microcracks in my windscreen on my GS. It's the original windscreen. Is this normal degradation? Or can I expect it to come snapping off and fly into my chest some day? Wasn't sure if I should be saving up for another windscreen.

Last edited:
How old and how many miles? Where are the "microcracks" located? Are they surface crazing or cracked all the way through the plastic?

Plastic doesn't age well, especially in sunlight. If the bike is parked out in the sun a lot, the UV will damage the plastic. If the cracks are radiating from the mounting screw holes, those screws may be over-tightened. If the cracks are only on the surface then the integrity of the shield is probably OK, but if they go all the way through they will probably continue to grow.

If the cracks are from the screw holes and are continuing to grow, you can stop them by drilling a small hole through the plastic right at the end of the crack. This helps relieve the stress that is causing the crack. Of course, it looks terrible.

Basically, it seems you are looking for a new screen. Check the flea market for a used one and explore the many after-market providers.

pete

And by the way, I'd be more concerned about it flying into my neck when/if it snaps off. Don't even want to think about that prospect...

pete

No major cracks anywhere at the mounting holes. (although I lost a screw out of the one hole in front since looking at it the other day) The surface feels a little rough in one area where it is concentrated. I believe a new windscreen will be added to my list.

Wind shield

I bought a tall for my 08 gs from Adventure Designs, about 90 bucks. I'm happy with it, not much bad air if any and I'm kind of over grown so my head rides sort of high.

Mike B

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi all,
I have noticed that I am getting what appears to be microcracks in my windscreen on my GS. It's the original windscreen. Is this normal degradation? Or can I expect it to come snapping off and fly into my chest some day? Wasn't sure if I should be saving up for another windscreen.

Can't speak to "normal degradation" but I rather doubt it. Has anyone used Loctite on the windshield mounting screws? It does have the bad habit of outgassing and causing these sort of problems - enough so that Cee Bailey specifically warns against it's use with their windshields.

And by the way, I'd be more concerned about it flying into my neck when/if it snaps off. Don't even want to think about that prospect...

Sorry, I just have to ...

Where I worked, to test performance when one of our components or assemblies was dropped or fired, we'd sometimes set it at the end of a test track and fire a rocket-propelled sled carrying some sort of slug into it. Speeds sometimes beyond the sound barrier. Last half of the track encased in a helium-filled cover.

Point, is there's little difference between the windscreen hitting you or you hitting the windscreen.

Yet some folks want unbreakable windscreen mount arms.

Unsure on the locktite. Don't see any residue or tell tale signs of previous work around the screws.

Thanks for all the replies. Also, thanks for the pic of the tall windshield. The OEM shield I have on now is ok. Get some head buffeting but not awful. Also thought about finding a GSA windscreen as well. Either way, I think it's time to change it out. It's starting to change color a bit and with those little cracks that glimmer in the sun, a new screen is in order.

Back