Thread: R65 in Central Connecticut

R65 in Central Connecticut

Here's a photo of my just-completed 1981 BMW R65 in Azure Blue with Touring Cases and Givi windscreen. I had my heart set on an "Airhead" and considered just about everything in the R-series. Ultimately I focused on the 1981-1984 R65 in order to maintain the short wheel base (smaller / lighter / nimble) and enjoy the 1981+ upgraded engine / drivetrain. The dual front discs for 1981 was a bonus.

The bike has 43k on it and has a long history of proper maintenance. Most mechanical items were up to par so I focused on things like finding and restoring the rear / side rack, saddlebags, windscreen, etc. I've got some rides planned for the Litchfield Hills and along the shoreline to Rhode Island.

I've been a life member (and instructor) of the BMWCCA for quite some time and recently gave up my E46 330i for an X1 2.0T. Finally found a modern BMW car that didn't seem "overly electronic / assisted" (mine does not have electric steering). So I've been a BMW fan for a long time and now am very happy to have my first "Airhead".

Attached Images Attached Images

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Looks like new
    Welcome to the forum.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

San Antonio, TX
    Ron -

Welcome to the forum. Nice choice of bike...I definitely like the blue!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Eufaula, Oklahoma

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the two wheel side of BMW, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new bike.

Thanks for being a member, be sure and check out the airhead forum.
    Wes Fitzer-MOA BOD-Treasurer
    BMWMOA 170126
    NE Oklahoma BMW Club; BMW Riders of Oklahoma
    2014 K1600 GTLE