• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

unknown BMW

HFbmw

When scanning Craigslist last night I found a picture of a BMW motorcycle and the ad said "Fix my bike!" I sent a text right away and finally found the home or garage where this BMW was sitting. I had asked the owner if he knew what it was. Well I had thought it was the HP 4 crotch rocket. He has sent me a note back that it wasn't. No front end, Forks are upside down The front wheel looks to me like the style for the HP4.

I admit that I haven't worked on anything that new. Date of manufacture is 9/12... If it isn't the HP4 then is it the SS1000R? Or is there another model that has the inline 4 cylinder up right engine with a chain drive? The person said he had purchased it on a salvage title and wants to get it back on the road. He wanted to know if I could help him. He also wanted to find used parts. I kept asking what kind of motorcycle and he was frustrated with me.

I told him to use parts that fit that bike and I could help him. Does the serial number give me an idea on what model? No fairing. Top of fake tank is broken.

I live only 8 miles from the State Fair Grounds where the Rally will take place this weekend. Thought about finding parts there but model is unknown to me.

take care,

thanks

Tim Lindstrom
Columbia Heights, MN
1995 BMW K1100RS 150,100+ miles

And the HP4 is a special edition of the S1000RR. He can get all the parts etc he needs to fix it, upside down forks with radial calipers are standard. There are specialty forums for the bike, and of course a sub forum here. A wadded S1000RR (HP4 or not) will not be cheap to fix, it was likely going fast when it suddenly stopped, or was thrown on its side, etc.

Attachments

• BMW-HP4-12.jpg
    BMW-HP4-12.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 235
...The person said he had purchased it on a salvage title and wants to get it back on the road. He wanted to know if I could help him. He also wanted to find used parts. I kept asking what kind of motorcycle and he was frustrated with me....

You are just asking for a big bag of hurt. Let him be frustrated with someone else.

If he gets frustrated with you while you are merely asking questions in order to help him out of HIS jam, he's probably the type of person who will ask you a question and then argue with you when you give him your answer.

Distance yourself from him now. No really, now.
Before you give him advice or answers and he follows what you said to do, and then he doesn't like the result and gets mad at YOU.

Sounds like my daughter. When she was TEN.

Back