• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Tires for F700GS

Well I've had my F700GS for 9,300 pleasing miles and need to replace the tires. Bike came from factory with Bridgestone Battlewings. Am wondering if some alternate might be better. I believe the 10,000 mile tire life span is Ok but would like something more in the 12 to 15 k range. 99% of my riding is on pavement. Any suggestions from the MOA brain trust?

Mike

I, for some reason, didn't think much of the Battlewings on the F800GS :scratch
I put a regular Tourance on the front and like it better- seemed to take some head shake out of it. I just put a Haidenau K60 on the rear and so far so good other than a rumble in the 15 to 25 mph range.
OM

I like Tourance too, I ran them on my 2007 Triumph Scrambler. The Battlewings I have on my F700GS seem ok, but I do not fully trust them. I was caught in one really hard downpour and rode 50 miles home in it and they did fine. But, there is something about them that gives me concern. That may be just because they show such little wear, I cannot see how they can be that good. I will switch them over to Tourance when they are worn more.

Wayne

Anakee3, great in rain, stick like a sport tire, wear great. What more can you ask for?

I think i have changed my tires 5 or 6 times now.

I am now and have in the last 3 years been running more aggressive tires like the TKC 80s and the K60 scouts because of the type of riding i have been doing...

That all being said.....

The only time i have ever changed tires and thought "Oh My GOSH these tires rock!" was when i put on the Mestler Tourance tires. Though, that was for riding on the paved road...

So i like them.

Well folks, the Tourance Next have been installed and they are excellent as far as handling. I didn't think the F700GS could get better with a change of tires, but it did. With the Battle Wings there was a bit of "searching" for the right line. I attributed that to the steep steering head angle. Was I ever wrong. The Tourance are rock steady.

One pleased Chilibowlfan.
Mike

radial tire in the front and a bias ply in the back

I put a Tourance on the front and a Haidenau K60 on the rear.

Did you ever ponder the fact that you put a radial tire in the front and a bias ply in the back?
Just tossing it out there.............
max

Have had the battle wings, Heideneau Scouts and now have the Anakee 3. All have been capable tires for their intended use.

For your 99% street ride, the Anakee 3 will do everything you need. My wifes's 650 has over 10,000k (6000 miles) highway ride with a load on them and are still in great shape (she got almost 20,000k (12000 m) out of her battlewings) and by the looks of the anakees on the bike now she should easily get another 15000k out of them.

They are not a cheap tire so you have to do your math and homework as to value per mile if that is your priority.

Did you ever ponder the fact that you put a radial tire in the front and a bias ply in the back?
max

Not really as they both have tubes and will be run at full pressure. I think that concern factors more into a high performance street bike than the F800.
OM

max

On an F800GS Anakee 3's are the same, front is Bias, rear is radial. They don't make a 90/90 radial. But they work fine.

Karoo 3s

I put Karoo 3s on front and back of my 2013 F800GS. Karoo 3s work great for off road. They look pretty knobby. Had Tourance's on before. Rode all summer (about 2 K miles) including through some light snow, plenty of rain, lots of pavement, and a good amount of gravel. No problems. They do freak me out a bit when doing corners at high speed because they feel like they drop a bit. Never had any slippage. Only complaint is at speeds above 55 mph they're noisy.

Back