• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

rainsuit suggestions

f14rio

Going to Ireland on 11 august for two weeks. Gonna rent a moto guzzi 1200. Take a ferry to france and see Normandy. Then back to Ireland, where in rains a lot in august.

Need a suggestion for a decent rain suit/boots. I'm 5'10'' 200 lbs :scratch

I'm thinking the fowl weather gear I use on my sailboat is probably good enough but dunno.

10-q very much

"When in Rome do what the Romans do!" means - I would by a good motorcycle rain suit in Ireland. Which would be handy back home for a long time.

I bought mine in Germany 15 years ago. It is barely used here but whenever I have to use it I have a big smile...it is just a damned good rain suit (coverall).

/Guenther

I'm thinking the fowl weather gear I use on my sailboat is probably good enough but dunno.

I tried that with my foulies. It worked, but not well; too much material flapping around overall, the tall collar that keeps be warm at sea was bunched up against my throat and my helmet rubbed it; the "bib" part of the pants kept my chest too warm for the most part

I don't know what product to suggest, but I think I'd follow the Guenther's Roman Rule. Considering that your height is well within the "normal" range you shouldn't have any problems being fitted. Just remember to leave a little extra room in your gear bag when you leave home.

I recommend the BMW Rallye 3 Suit and the BMW all round boot. I have found them to be 100% waterproof when I drive in the driving rain. When not required for rain protection, remove the inner jacket liner and pant liner for maximum ventilation. Also, most importantly, if you come off the bike, you have excellent padding and protection against the road removing the flesh from your body.

Tourmaster two-piece works for me. My local BMW dealer had it in stock, but it was all-black, an epic fail. They ordered me the set with the bright yellow top part, much better for riding in very dark, stormy weather. It's bad enough that it's harder to see through a wet faceshield and wet glasses. At the least, I need to be easily seen by other motorists in a heavy rain.

harry

I also have the Tourmaster two-piece. It has never let me down. I have stayed dry in all day (10 hour) rides in solid rain.
Jeff

f14rio,

if I guessed right and you ride in New York state you should have some kind of rain gear, not?

From what I know about rain in Ireland and northern France in summer it comes more in quick buckets interlaced with sunshine. So your sailing gear - I used mine once in snow - might be a bit of an overkill. I know places like Wallie-Mart have some yellow 2-piece rain suits which are thin but rubberized on the inside. They don't cost much and if the hoody is in the way then just cut it off. This is not perfect but might do for your purpose.

/Guenther

Frogg Toggs, best rain suit I ever used, light breathable and waterproof!

Frogg Toggs, best rain suit I ever used, light breathable and waterproof!

+1 on the Frogg Toggs !!! There are very light, so they will pack easily, breathable and completely waterproof. You can buy them in many places, from bike shops to sporting goods stores, as well as on-line.

Having been to Ireland I found "their rain" very similar to "KY rain"...:laugh Take MC gear that works for the same purpose- here as there! Make your two week trip about something other than shopping for rain gear!!! The Romans of the notion above are all dead & gone:violin

+ Yet another 1 on the Frogg Toggs! The breathability is my favourite thing about them.

Putting your waterproofness on the outside is SO much handier than having to deal with liners.

+ Yet another 1 on the Frogg Toggs! The breathability is my favourite thing about them.

Putting your waterproofness on the outside is SO much handier than having to deal with liners.

Very true! I use the "rain liner" in my Rev'It jacket when I expect the temp to never go above 60. But when warm weather breathability is important but rain possible, much prefer an exterior rain jacket. Another disadvantage of the interior rain liner I learned the first week I wore it when I had a long day ride in steady rain - while I stayed dry, the suit gained at least 10 pounds in absorbed water and hadn't lost many of them by the next morning. (I gather there are products which help this situation that I haven't tried.)

BTW, ever wondered why so many companies make BLACK rain jackets? The last color I want to be wearing when visibility is the worst for my fellow motorists and chances are good I may be riding a little slower than most traffic. Got my Frogg Togg in fluorescent lime green, though not sure they call it that. Even when it gets dirty should still help people see me.

Lots of different solutions to staying dry and visible.

Rain Suit

The best rain suit that I've ever had that didn't have armor was the BMW Clima Control rain suit. It was pricey as
many BMW things are, but it kept you dry and would breathe so that you didn't sweat and then become cold and clammy.
Unfortunately they don't make these anymore, but if you see one on a BMW forum, E-Bay or Craig's List, I'd buy it because
they are top notch. I still have mine, but have since moved on to the ultimate solution.....I got a Klim Jacket/Pants that are
armored and gore-tex waterproof......very pricey, but the final solution that covers staying dry and staying safe in one product.
It also eliminates the rushed stopping to put on a suit as it's starting to rain stop on my trips which is nice.

I ride with a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants combo along with a pair of Sidi Adventure Gortex boots....Don't need a separate rain suit.....or mesh jacket....or winter jacket..... Best riding gear I have ever owned.

The best rain suit that I've ever had that didn't have armor was the BMW Clima Control rain suit. It was pricey as
many BMW things are, but it kept you dry and would breathe so that you didn't sweat and then become cold and clammy.
Unfortunately they don't make these anymore, but if you see one on a BMW forum, E-Bay or Craig's List, I'd buy it because
they are top notch. I still have mine, but have since moved on to the ultimate solution.....I got a Klim Jacket/Pants that are
armored and gore-tex waterproof......very pricey, but the final solution that covers staying dry and staying safe in one product.
It also eliminates the rushed stopping to put on a suit as it's starting to rain stop on my trips which is nice.

Ditto this ^^^^^

I know it's too late as this trip is in progress already BUT

I have one piece Triumph rain suits for me n her. I've used mine over the years with good solid effect, staying dry in England and the Isle Of Man during some heavy storms, traveling in massive heavy rain etc.
The thing works great IF you get it all Velcro'd together JUST right... It's black but has retro reflective belt and slash stripe down the back from one shoulder to opposite side waistband.

However, I have recently spent the big bucks on Rukka jacket, gloves, and pants. I found that by the time you see rain coming, stop and put all the gear on to stay dry.... I'm already wet!

Thanks for all the comments.
I ended up getting Frogg-Toggs Kikker II jacket & Horny toadz pants.
I don't know yet about the waterproofing (reviews are excellent though) but I tried the jacket as a windbreaker over my mesh jacket and it does breathe very well.

Back