• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Perception

ItsPhilD

Found this on a Honda Forum:

It's a modern BMW so it'll probably have warranty problems like a good percentage of their bikes these days.

Last edited:
Possibly

I am getting tired of the BMW bashing. I have contributed some myself. It isn't a heart valve gone bad. It it a motorcycle. I believe they are trying to provide the best product they can in a very challenging market place. Have they had problems, yes. So have other brands. However this particular bike is far superior to the competition. I am looking forward to getting my bike back. This problem is a subcontractor problem, not a BMW design problem. I think except for the bluetooth they got this bike right. To all the riders who want a simple fix it in the dirt bike, look at the other makes. They are falling in behind BMW's lead. It is a product of our environment. They want to sell bikes and the public likes high tech....as long as it works. I know this is different than a computer or phone but the mind set is the same. It doesn't excuse BMW's poor customer service tract record. That is abyssmal. I think the engineers are trying to produce a quality product. Corporate is getting in the way. Honda, Yamaha I looked at them but settled on the BMW. I spent the weekend with a FJR rider. It just confirmed my choice. I don't care about other's perception, only my own. As my dad preached... what the neighbors do or think doesn't mean squat.

It's a modern BMW so it'll probably have warranty problems like a good percentage of their bikes these days.

Perhaps they should look at their own stuff, first;

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/honda/

http://powersports.honda.com/recall-information.aspx

I recall when my wife had her 2004 GL1800A, checking her VIN to see if it was on the list for having defective frame welds, fortunately, it was not in the range that was impacted.

The FJR is sometimes mentioned on the form as a desired alternative. As a former FJR owner, my 2003 had the ticking valve issue and the throttle position indicator recall (hazardous stalling issue), later models had electrical problems that could result in unexpected shutdowns at any speed. I did enjoy my FJR but the were, or are, not perfect.

Victory has issues that they should have recalls for, Visions that have the potential to have the rear portion of the front fender fail and jam into the fairing, preventing steering the bike. My 2010 non ABS Vision (traded for my F700GS last fall) lost it's back brake, a problem that comes up that they do not seem to be too interested in addressing.

The R1200RT recall/stop ride is unfortunate in the extreme and I sympathize with their owners, BMW is not perfect, but neither is any other brand and the all have their problems.

Last edited:
It's a fallacy

My BMW 2008 F8ST and BMW 2013 F8GT both came with a 3 year warranty included in the purchase price. Do Hondas et al. even offer a 3 year warranty? My 2006 Yamaha V-Star had a one year warranty, and when the battery failed after approx. 40 days and 1000 km, the answer was: ' sorry, batteries are not covered by warranty'. Yet, according to posts on this and other forums, BMW has been replacing batteries under warranty on bikes that are near the end of the 3 year warranty. Warranty problems? Or, warranty coverage? Of course if the warranty does not cover much, you will not have 'warrantly problems'!

Opinion

It took me all of fifteen seconds to find that link myself by simply googling the quote itself.

Considering that the originator of that thread was seriously considering the purchase of R9T, and that many of the other comments on that page were positive, I'm not sure what your point is. One forum member's opinion; I'd hardly call it "quotable".

Like saying, "It's a modern Chevrolet so it'll probably have warranty problems like a good percentage of their cars these days."

And if you have the BMW Bluetooth receiver for your helmet, all is perfect.

As for customer service, BMWs response to the RT shock problem is unprecedented.

And when your bike is in for service, you won't be dealing with a service advisor whose livelihood depends on selling you chrome.

The modern, high tech version of the saying "$hxt happens", is "Apparatuses developed using data-based engineering techniques suffer intervallic periods of non-functioning critical componets."

My BMW 2008 F8ST and BMW 2013 F8GT both came with a 3 year warranty included in the purchase price. Do Hondas et al. even offer a 3 year warranty? My 2006 Yamaha V-Star had a one year warranty, and when the battery failed after approx. 40 days and 1000 km, the answer was: ' sorry, batteries are not covered by warranty'. Yet, according to posts on this and other forums, BMW has been replacing batteries under warranty on bikes that are near the end of the 3 year warranty. Warranty problems? Or, warranty coverage? Of course if the warranty does not cover much, you will not have 'warrantly problems'!

ALL versions of Honda's Goldwing come with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty, plus the ST1300. Kawasaki Concours 14 has 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know whether something like batteries would be included, but I would guess not, since battery life is at least partly dependent on how long a bike sits without either being ridden or connected to a battery charger. If BMW is replacing batteries under warranty that is surprising.

2014 Urals also have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Batteries are usually covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

My FJR came with a one year warranty, but I was able to buy a four year extension for $96 per year. Pretty good deal I believe. The cost of the Yamaha extended service contract must be based on the reliability record of the bike. After all, they plan to make money on the deal, and I hope they do.

ALL versions of Honda's Goldwing come with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty, plus the ST1300. Kawasaki Concours 14 has 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know whether something like batteries would be included, but I would guess not, since battery life is at least partly dependent on how long a bike sits without either being ridden or connected to a battery charger. If BMW is replacing batteries under warranty that is surprising.
For Goldwings, you can buy a Honda (not a third party) extended warranty for 4 additional years, totaling 7 years unlimited mileage. You don't even have to buy one from the dealer, I paid about $500 for mine.

There was another thread some time ago speculating why BMW doesn't even offer 3 years/unlimited mileage on some of their bikes, let alone a factory extended warranty, and the consensus was that they couldn't charge enough to cover their expenses without seriously depressing the market. An alternate view is that they want to sell new bikes not fix old ones and generous warranty coverage would work against that.

Back