• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

aftermarket mirrors on R1100rt?

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
Has any one ever put sport bike 'stem type' mirrors on an RT. I don't mean the type that go through the hole near the handlebar switches, I am talking about ones that would mount with screws and mounting plate. Like you would see on a sport bike.

I was wondering if the tupper ware on the RT, up near the top near the windshield, would be strong enough to support a set of mirrors?

I personally would not mount mirrors on the plastic, once you get the 85 MPH wind blowing who knows what might happen.
I found a set for k1200rs on ebay that work well & look better than the GS version.

I personally would not mount mirrors on the plastic, once you get the 85 MPH wind blowing who knows what might happen.
I found a set for k1200rs on ebay that work well & look better than the GS version.
I have a set of RS ones on my GS - Love them! Style and way better visibility the the stock GS ones.
Seen 'em on RT's, look great on them as well.

I can't use the stem mount type of mirrors. I am using the mounting holes for something else. I need to mount the mirrors to the body work. Maybe if I form a backing plate to go on the inside of the body work I could securely mount a set of mirrors that way?

While I have absolutely no data or experience with this idea, my mind has been screaming "No!" since the original post...

A backing plate would surely be necessary; use something like JB Weld (which adheres quite nicely to our tupperware) not only for adhesion, but as a void-filler; and probably a 3-screw (triangular) mount (maybe 2 or 3 inches on each side).
Maybe even weld the nuts to the inside of the plate, to permit the mirrors to be removable from the outside.

But - The bodywork was not designed (I'm guessing here) to be a structurally supportive stressed member. Consider that when the engine is running, the plastic is vibrating; when you're rolling, air pressure is constantly beating on the proposed mirrors.

Even with epoxy reinforcement, I'd think you'd be asking for cracks and breaks in the plastic.

Interesting! Just looked up a few pictures, and yep, they are there...
But when I went over to the MAX parts fiche, I couldn't find them at all... Any clues?

Back