Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Off to New Zealand this November

New Zealand

New Zealand is often a test bed for US products and business trends. Coke Zero was there long before being around where I live and finally, we have Magnam ice cream bars too. It took a few years to figure out that a 4 digit pin #, for a magnetic strip credit card transaction, was much better. Before I got a Pin #, the cashier would lay your card down, back side up to see your signature while you sign the receipt (who does that here in the US ?). Pin#'s take seconds and are much more secure. Why don't we have credit card Pin #'s in the US ? Bottom line is money for the card company. If we had them, it sure would make it easier on the heart after the sudden discovery that you have lost your wallet or your card. I have heard something about NZ going card chip only. Won't work very well with the tourist.
    Things change rapidly in NZ, so this information that is 7 or 8 months old may be obsolete by now.
    I have never used an ATM, so I don't know much about about electronic money. Cash I do know. I wonder if the Canadians have Pin #'s for credit cards.

Well it looks like y'all have given him lots of good tips and advice. The only thing I have to say is Vegemite will never be popular in the U.S.!
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

You're exactly right !

NZ in November

Excellent map
    Kiwimaps ltd

Kiwi Pathfinder
    New Zealand
    South Island (or North Island)
    1:1 000 000
    Topographical Map Series

Get laminated in a paper or book store to make it last a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    New Zealand is often a test bed for US products and business trends. Coke Zero was there long before being around where I live and finally, we have Magnam ice cream bars too. It took a few years to figure out that a 4 digit pin #, for a magnetic strip credit card transaction, was much better. Before I got a Pin #, the cashier would lay your card down, back side up to see your signature while you sign the receipt (who does that here in the US ?). Pin#'s take seconds and are much more secure. Why don't we have credit card Pin #'s in the US ? Bottom line is money for the card company. If we had them, it sure would make it easier on the heart after the sudden discovery that you have lost your wallet or your card. I have heard something about NZ going card chip only. Won't work very well with the tourist.
    Things change rapidly in NZ, so this information that is 7 or 8 months old may be obsolete by now.
    I have never used an ATM, so I don't know much about about electronic money. Cash I do know. I wonder if the Canadians have Pin #'s for credit cards.
    Per "electronic money"- FWIW, I've never heard of an ATM that "spit out anything other than cash" ? " Kind of handy when banks are often closed at night...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

NZ in November

Wonder if rodneysherwood had a good time ?