• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Other Road Foodies?

jeffkruger

The thread about riding solo caused me to look through some past trip pics and do a bit of thinking. One of the things I have always enjoyed about traveling, especially via motorcycle, is finding great road food. I know from reading some other threads, and having talked with other riders, there are a fair amount of us riding foodies. It would be cool to hear about some of you and your favorite places.

I grew up and spent over 30 years in Alaska. I once rode from Fairbanks to the Seattle area to get a piece of pie from a place I really enjoyed. It was rather spur of the moment and seemed like a great excuse to take a trip. There is a place in Missoula Montana called Hob Knob on Higgins. My daughter and I really enjoy their breakfasts. Even though it's two states away, my daughter has mentioned that she was hankering for their breakfast and we've hopped on the bike and made a short trip out of it. It doesn't hurt that we head over Lolo pass at least one direction, and it's a great bit of riding.

How do some of you ferret out great road food places while on a trip? I have used Yelp quite a bit and enjoy it because it tends to have reviews from quite a few locals, as well as other travelers. Of course talking with locals has turned up some real gems that I probably wouldn't otherwise discover.

A few years ago my wife and I did a trip we called the "DDD" for Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives, a show on Food Network. My wife had bought me the book, and we regularly watch the show. We built a trip around hitting a lot of places from the show. It was a lot of fun, and we enjoyed some amazing road food. Without fail, the owners of the businesses said their business had increased quite a bit from being on the show. We had things from an amazing crab cake bennedict for breakfast to an amazing burger with a "crispy cheese skirt". Not one disappointing meal, and some truly spectacular ones.

I am going to leave home August 1st to head south and do the entire Great River Road. That trip was somewhat inspired by the Food Network Show "Feasting on Asphalt". My wonderful wife bought me the series on DVD as well as the book. I like small towns and backroads anyway, and that coupled with some great regional road food in mom and pop type places made it an easy decision.

It would be great to hear from other foodies that combine their passion of riding and food. I would especially enjoy hearing about how you have found some of your favorite places. I know there are a lot of us that tend to look for local license plates in a parking lot.

Road Foodie Memories

This Post reminded me of the time years (and maybe years) ago my wife and I were tired and hungry and mainly just wanted a break while on the road. South-West end of Rt 209 in PA near the Delaware Water Gap, we stopped in a crowded local restaurant. While looking for a parking spot, I looked across the street and there was some sort of eatery with a small neon sign that read " It's not the Taj Mahal, but the foods good". Greek food, not crowded, good and the best Baklava fresh out of the oven you ever tasted! Stopped a few more times whenever we took the Rt 209 shortcut headed North.
Sadly gone now (from that location ?). Makes me wonder if they just moved. Any Pennsylvania local old timers out there remember? I sure do.
Charlie

P.S. Always ask the locals and if the cop cars are in the parking lot for breakfast, stop.

I love food, and I love mom-n-pop places, places off the "radar", IE: local and GOOD.

On our recent ride up to the Adirondaks we stopped in Sharon Springs NY at The American Hotel and had a really nice break and a light (late) lunch there. Next day we ate at The Cottage Cafe in Lake Placid. I love the Village Diner on the north end of the Delaware Water Gap- just off I-84 in Milford PA near the PA/NY line. And I might add that happening onto the original Dreamland BBQ joint, up on the hill off I-59/20 outside of Tuscaloosa AL was a MIGHTY good score! Sal's Brick Oven Pizza in Bethlehem PA is another homey local joint for REAL good Italian food served with an old school vibe. One of the best things about traveling is just this: finding that sweet spot for good grub. For me it can be anything from a awesomely nasty hotdog with chili sauce and onions, to some fine cuisine such as we were pleased to have at The American Hotel in Sharon Springs. Good food comes in many forms- I keep my eyes and ears open as I go.

I love food, and I love mom-n-pop places, places off the "radar", IE: local and GOOD.

On our recent ride up to the Adirondaks we stopped in Sharon Springs NY at The American Hotel and had a really nice break and a light (late) lunch there. Next day we ate at The Cottage Cafe in Lake Placid. I love the Village Diner on the north end of the Delaware Water Gap- just off I-84 in Milford PA near the PA/NY line. And I might add that happening onto the original Dreamland BBQ joint, up on the hill off I-59/20 outside of Tuscaloosa AL was a MIGHTY good score! Sal's Brick Oven Pizza in Bethlehem PA is another homey local joint for REAL good Italian food served with an old school vibe. One of the best things about traveling is just this: finding that sweet spot for good grub. For me it can be anything from a awesomely nasty hotdog with chili sauce and onions, to some fine cuisine such as we were pleased to have at The American Hotel in Sharon Springs. Good food comes in many forms- I keep my eyes and ears open as I go.

That's the way it tends to go when my wife is along. Anything from chilli cheese fries to $300 Kobe steaks. My favorites are always the mom and pops that put out amazingly good food served up by friendly folks.

Yeah man, I hear ya. High end foodie stuff is good and all...
but ya just can't beat rock solid home-style cooking!

There were some threads awhile back with some info :eat

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70925-Regional-Road-Food!&highlight=diners

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?68055-Diners-Drive-ins-amp-Dives&highlight=diners

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rger-joint-you-ve-run-across&highlight=diners

I often use the Garmin database using Cafes/diners on the menu under Food...then ride by the two or three that pop as we enter a town. Then pick one that is busier than the rest. Have found some really great mom&pop locations. Unfortunately, sometimes they are no longer there kind of like gas stations . I do not update every year, but some places look like they closed years before:cry

Thanks for the links. Very cool.

Usingnthe right keywords in the Garmin is a great idea.

I think Yelp has probably helped me find more gems than any other method I have used, other than local folks. Some greatnudeasnin this thread that I am going to incorporate in to my quest.

When a simple mom and pop places takes something like a BLT, hotdog or hamburger and transforms it into something great it puts a huge smile on my face.

A few years ago my wife and I were heading home, going thru North Carolina. Its was hot and we wanted to stay off the super slab so we started taking back roads. As we passed thru Albemarle NC we saw the "Log Cabin BBQ". It was about 1pm and the parking lot was full. We had a great meal and great service for a very modest price. If we had been on the Interstate we would never have found a great place like this.

A few years ago my wife and I were heading home, going thru North Carolina. Its was hot and we wanted to stay off the super slab so we started taking back roads. As we passed thru Albemarle NC we saw the "Log Cabin BBQ". It was about 1pm and the parking lot was full. We had a great meal and great service for a very modest price. If we had been on the Interstate we would never have found a great place like this.

Thank goodness places like that have survived.

Pie is a Pennsylvania thing, in my experience -- and best if they use real lard for the crust. :thumb

I am SO with you on that! As someone who dabbles in pie making I have found you just don't get that perfect, flakey crust without lard and cold water.

Your post took me to a warm, fuzzy place. Memories of being wet and cold on the road, and the immense satisfaction brought by a piece of great pie and a cup of hot coffee. Pie and doughnuts are my two favorite road sweets. Thankfully there are still some real artisans putting out some great examples of each.

Foodies

My wife (pillion) and I in found a nice place Sunday morning in downtown Marquette, MI. We were on our way to the National in St Paul and had time to explore downtowns. We smelled breakfast on a particular block on Washington St and had to do 4 U-turns in 1 block and ask somebody where the breakfast aroma was coming from. The candy store ? Yes, upstairs of course.
"Donckers " was a memorable breakfast that was found with our noses. Enough local flair for a standing US President to visit.
We found a laundry that was a block off the main road on laundry day in a small town in Oklahoma once.
Just by smell.
Charlie

Mmmm pie! Or, as my friend Don says, "Pie for Strength!"

Cyrus O'Leary's is restaurant in Spokane. When the MOA rally was there, we went twice for pie, it was so good!
edit: I just looked this up, unfortunately the building was sold and the restaurant closed in 2011, but you can still buy the pies.

In Tigard, OR (just south of Portland) is Miller's Homestead. Great food and especially, great pie!

And I might add that happening onto the original Dreamland BBQ joint, up on the hill off I-59/20 outside of Tuscaloosa AL was a MIGHTY good score!

I grew up in Tuscaloosa! Haven't been to Dreamland since they went all corporate, but they always had good stuff. I remember that original location having just five things on the menu on the old days: ribs, white bread, 'tater chips, beer, and soda.

Now when it comes to 'cue-joints, here's a good system to follow:

If the sign says 'barbecue,' keep on going.
If the sign says 'bar-b-que,' only stop if there is a good number of vehicles parked there.
If the sign says 'BBQ,' stop there and eat to your heart's content.

I grew up in Tuscaloosa! Haven't been to Dreamland since they went all corporate, but they always had good stuff. I remember that original location having just five things on the menu on the old days: ribs, white bread, 'tater chips, beer, and soda.

Now when it comes to 'cue-joints, here's a good system to follow:

If the sign says 'barbecue,' keep on going.
If the sign says 'bar-b-que,' only stop if there is a good number of vehicles parked there.
If the sign says 'BBQ,' stop there and eat to your heart's content.

I don't know how well it works in other parts of the country, but good Texan friend told me that if I was looking at a roadhouse for BBQ, if the lot had a good mix of beat up trucks and Mercedes, pull in!

Road foodies

Thanks to the member who advised to stop in the Hilltop Restaurant, in L"Anse, Michigan for a cinnamon roll/sweet roll. Bigger than a coffee cup saucer and 5" to 6" tall maybe and got one fresh out of the oven. My wife and I split one and I don't think I'll need another until 2018 and a half. Seems they sold 204 dozen on one day for a record.
Charlie

Two Montana foodie stops

Northeast of Missoula, MT is town of Avon. The Avon Cafe is an oasis! Great food, great service, and great pie. I stopped there because I needed a break from riding. Oh my, what a find. If I'm in the area I will stop there again.

If you got a sweet tooth for fresh baked stuff - pie, donuts, bread, cakes, and fancy stuff stop in at the Black Cat Bakery in Missoula. The sticky buns are incredible - lots of cinnamon "goopy stuff" topped with pecans. Oh my! Good coffee too. Definitely a stop after riding US 12 Lolo/Lochsa, or when on I-90.

Back