• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Bearing Grease

typ181r90

Superkraut
Picked up new steering head bearings + races for my R90/6 at the local dealer and it t seems that the original part was superceded by p/n 31 42 7 663 941 which is currently used on the G650 bikes. As far as I can tell from looking at them, the only difference is the $$$.

Something else I noticed is that they're packed with a yellow, waxy looking grease. I've only ever used red bearing grease of a completely different consistency and asked whether this was just on the bearings to prevent corrosion while they are in storage. The guy at the counter said BMW bearings come pre-packed from the factory now and they're ready for use.

Anyone else experienced this? I could clean and repack, but obviously wouldn't bother if it's not necessary.

Personally, I'd want to know what the grease was, so if there's any doubt, there will be doubt. Probably best to clean up and use what you're comfortable with. Peace of mind! :thumb

Personally, I'd want to know what the grease was, so if there's any doubt, there will be doubt. Probably best to clean up and use what you're comfortable with. Peace of mind! :thumb

After some searching it looks like BMW is using Shell Retinax EP2, though I can't seem to find any US stores that carry it. It's probably fine, but when I pack bearings they look like a greasy mess, maybe I'm just not used to seeing bearings packed with German efficiency (or Japanese since that's where the bearings are made) :dunno

Considering what those bearings do, I would think an good quality, brand name bearing or lubricating grease would do.

Back