• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1983 R100RS summer heat

brasmussen

I am planning on taking a trip in a couple of weeks and I know that its going to be hot. My question has to do with removing the lower portion of my fairing in an attempt to keep myself and the engine a little cooler. The long range forecast is for 100 degrees so with that hot wind, will it make that much difference? Also, I am wondering if it will alter the stability of the bike at around 80 mph? Thanks in advance for your wisdom. Probably the wise decision would be to postpone my trip until October.

I removed mine almost every year as the weather got warmer, from both my RT's and RS's. To be honest, it did not make that much difference. I also removed the fork boots trying to get more air. That helped too, but those fairings are so good, they do a good job of parting the air around you. The stability of the bike with them on or off was the same.

Wayne

Since you plan to travel at 80mph and the RS has an oil cooler the bike will probably be just fine. I ran mine full fairing out in South Dakota a few years back in temps of just over 100 and all was well. I on the other hand required a lot of water stops! :drink

I've heard it said that the engine actually runs cooler with the lowers in place. Wives' Tale?
Whatever the case, do take seriously the comment above regarding the rider drinking water. A few years back when the MOA national rally was in Spokane, Wa. I allowed myself to become dehydrated. I recovered but the incident could easily have ended very badly. A word to the wise....

Yes, the Nikasil engines really shed heat.

Running with feet on passenger pegs helps a little.

fairing lowers

I've heard it said that the engine actually runs cooler with the lowers in place. Wives' Tale?
Whatever the case, do take seriously the comment above regarding the rider drinking water. A few years back when the MOA national rally was in Spokane, Wa. I allowed myself to become dehydrated. I recovered but the incident could easily have ended very badly. A word to the wise....

Hi, yes there was a study done in the MOA , years ago, and they found the engine ran cooler with the lowers fitted, ran mine last summer with them off, and I ran a lot cooler(no oil cooler) no problems , hope this assists Jimmy

Hydrate!!!! Camelback!!!!

Any R-100 will do fine in the heat...YOU need to protect yourself!!!!! Hot air 100+ is serious stuff.....body evaporation will be VERY high....

I wear a Camelback with ice water (2 ltrs) in it......keep a timer on my "dash"....take a cold swig every 15 minutes......super refreshing, and keeps body safe!!! Jus' my $0.02:D

As a bicyclist in the Deep South, I recomment you not only pack water, but get packets (shots) of electrolytes to prevent the water from washing out yours. I take one at the beginning of a ride and every 45 minutes. I have insulated water bottles I can keep in my saddle bags of my R75/6 and agree also with frequent stops for hydration. A little prevention can save a world of misery down the road.

Back