• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

KLIM vs BMW vs Rukka suits, input needed.

markgoodrich

I've been wearing a Rukka AirPower suit for about eight or nine years. It's nearing the end of its life, with zipper issues, armor cracking. It's a great suit, but has the same problem I find with the BMW Rally Pro suit: the waterproof liner is INSIDE, i.e. you have to disrobe to put the liners on, and then, though you stay dry, the outer suit gets wet and heavy, and conductive cooling causes you to begin edging towards hypothermia.

I've tried on the KLIM Badlands Pro, and it fits, and I like the fact that the suit is made of Goretex, so I can just keep riding when the weather turns wet, BUT: I live in central Texas. It's hot AND humid here. I travel. For instance, I just finished a loop up through Idaho/Washington/California/Texas, going from 106 in Texas to low 40s and raining (and sleeting) in ID/WA, to 115 across the Mojave. In other words, I need a four season suit unicorn, because I encounter four seasons in as many weeks. My concern about the KLIM is the hot part of the riding profile. I'd sure like to get feedback from any of you using the Badlands Pro in really hot weather, and if anyone is using a different Rukka suit, that isn't the tight mesh my suit has, I'd like the same feedback.

Touratech makes what appears to be the perfect solution, but when I called the Seattle office, I was dissuaded from considering it by the person I spoke to, who claimed the outer goretex liner "takes up an entire pannier."

No, I won't consider an Aerostich, but thanks for suggesting.:wave

Thanks.

I don't know if what you're looking for actually exists as far as a four season jacket that works well from the 20's to the 110's? I have a Klim Latitude Missano and love it. I have worn it in temperatures ranging from the 30's with a heated liner to the low 90's. But over 90 it's not very comfortable even with its great venting. It is a very high quality jacket, it's Gortex and totally waterproof, and it has a Lot of warm weather venting. It really could work as a four season jacket in many areas of the country. Just not Texas. I wear mesh in the summer months here as June through August are a real bear.

Doug

Last edited:
+10 Klim Badlands Pro!!! Wearing LD Comfort undergarments, sometimes with electrics, have ridden in 28 degrees (sleet and snow), heavy rains (cold, warm and hot temps), 100+ degree temps. Suit keeps you DRY and warm. Vents work GREAT. I'm ridden over 40,000 miles since buying and it is by far the best riding gear I have ever tried. The lifetime guarantee says it all.

Klim Badlands Pro

While I can't speak from experience on the Rukka or BMW suits, I switched from Aerostich to KLIM this year and find the Klim better, both in fit and venting. The hottest temperature I've ridden in is the low 80's but as long as I'm moving at 40MPH or better, I'm comfortable. I have the Badlands Pro jacket and the Milano pants.

I ride 4 seasons with BMW Airflow.

Rainsuit over it stops airflow, and electrics, etc., under it take care of cold.

I have a lot of miles in my BMW Rallye Pro 2, from close to 0 deg F to 115 deg. I like that the main jacket breathes a bit and is well vented. That means dealing with the waterproof ability being in the liners. I can tell you from experience the main jacket and pants can get very wet and heavy when riding in the rain. The liners do their job and keep you dry, but the jacket and pants can get very heavy and water soaked.

I usually only wear the liners if it's pretty cold. If it's cold and dry I prefer to wear a Gerbings liner and some lightweight thermal long underwear. For warm weather riding I carry a lightweight overcoat and over pants that can be easily put on over the jacket and pants, and don't even take the liners along. Depending on how cold I expect it to get on a trip, some times I carry the liners, and some times I don't. I always have the rain gear, a Gerbings jacket liner and some long underwear. At first I really didn't like the idea of the waterproof ability of the gear being the liners, but figured out pretty quickly that it means better venting/breathing gear with good solutions for dealing with wet and/or cold.

I have the Klim Traverse jacket and pants. It gets very hot and humid here in Phoenix also. I have used the Klim many times in hot weather and the venting does a good job for airflow. A cooling vest underneath helps a lot. I love that they are both waterproof and I can just keep riding, no need to stop and change. I'm not sure if there is one jacket that works great in all weather conditions, but the Klim does a good job and would be a good choice.

Plus 1 for Klim Badlands suit, LD Comfort, Gerbing, and Sidi boots. All superb quality that should last years and handle a wide extreme of temps and rain. I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff. I need it to last forever.

I'm also very happy with the Airflow. Delicious feeling of having the air blow through the suit. Also like the fit and looks. I use a Comfort Shell for the cool months (WA). The shell concept works pretty well, well vented, also water tight, with room underneath for layers. It's discontinued but the BMW Touring Shell might do the trick.

Back