• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

turn signal reminder

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi guys, getting on in years now , and my turn signal light (on the rev/ speedo )on my 1977 r100 s/rs, has,nt worked for years,I keep forgetting to cancell them !, is there an aftermarket signal reminder kit available ?before I cause an accident!!thanks in advance,Jimmy:scratch

My 1978 R100/7 has a audible indicator that sounds with the turn signal. It is similar to the back-up warning noise on modern commercial vehicles and equipment. I think some owners may have at some point disabled this signal thinking that it is an annoyance. Your bike may or may not have had this feature at one time. If it did come that way originally, the parts may or may not still be present. The wiring diagram for the 1978, /7 models show this circuit. You might be able to duplicate it if you could obtain the right parts.

My 78 RS had a beeper, I assume it was a factory installation since it looked like it came with the bike new. I took it off immediately, I found the volt meter a better indication that the turn signals were on. It would swing back and forth as the turn signals flashed, alerting me that they were on. I am sure someone here still has a beeper, I don't though. Mine went into the garbage as soon as it came off.

Wayne

1978 beepers

Hi guys, yes I know about the 1978 beeper ,should have said, I had a new 1978 r80/7,and also disconnected it the first week, I used to use my old voltmeter fluctions, but since fitting new clock and voltmeter,:lurk it is damped and does not flick as the origonal, on with the search !!

kirsan signalminder

found a write up in an old bmw club uk journal, nippy normans ,no longer stock it but, on line I came up with this Kisan signalminder SM1 for 1987 to 1992 R100RS $109,95, off on holiday to Europe until late August,but will check diffences in wiring between 1977 and 1987, if any, getting there! Jimmy:clap

You don't need a buzzer made for a bike. Goto your local electronics store and get a piezo buzzer with a built in driver. Get the loudest one you can get. Hook the hot wire to both turn signals with a diode in each lead. Hook the other end of the buzzer to ground. I did this on my 04 RT and it works fine except for I didn't get one that is loud enough.

Hi guys, getting on in years now , and my turn signal light (on the rev/ speedo )on my 1977 r100 s/rs, has,nt worked for years,I keep forgetting to cancell them !, is there an aftermarket signal reminder kit available ?before I cause an accident!!thanks in advance,Jimmy:scratch

The Kisan signalminder works great for me. Not too hard to wire in.

current draw ?

Nifty devices other than the parasitic current it draws when the bike is not in use. For that reason alone I would never install one.

Hi, I cant help wondering why there would a current draw when not in use,?,what does (parasitic) mean,? ,wont buy one until I return from holiday,please advise thank you so much, Jimmy

An example of parasitic draw is the electric clock on a bike. It is always on and drawing power from the battery. I would suspect the new electronic keying, which knows if a proper key is near the bike, would be another example.

If I'm wrong, corrections accepted.

Kisan Signal Minder draws 4.7mA parasitic load

An example of parasitic draw is the electric clock on a bike. It is always on and drawing power from the battery. I would suspect the new electronic keying, which knows if a proper key is near the bike, would be another example.

If I'm wrong, corrections accepted.

Both great examples and you are quite correct. Many electronic devices draw what is known as parasitic current from your battery even though they appear to be off or unused. This is more common on computer controlled bikes like the Oilheads and newer than airheads but nevertheless, the clock and other devices you might have connected to the battery like a GPS cradle for example (yes it draws power with NO GPS in it!) and other such devices can slowly drain the battery.

A member over in the Oilheads Forum had a charging issue on his bike that prompted him to measure static current draw on his battery. He had the ECU, the RID and a Kisan Signal Minder to take into consideration. Surprisingly the worst offender was the Kisan. It draws 4.7mA when not in use.

I will borrow Guenther's fine example of what this means in real terms: (4.7mA * 1,000 hours) = 4.7Ah in 41 days.

So if your total battery capacity is 28 Amp Hours that signal minder will drain almost 1/6th (16.5%) in 41 days.

Hi, have you installed it on an airhead, mine is a 1977 the site supplies them for 1985 to 1992 ? r bikes, thanks guys ,Jimmy

When the stock 15-pin unit on my '93 R100R failed three years ago I replaced it with a Kisan signalMinder SM-6 with Run-Turn-Brake functions. As well as the selectable automatic turn signal timeout I have the running light (all four turn signal on at reduced intensity) and the brake flash (flashes the turn signals in a quick to slow pattern every time the brake light is energized). Works well. I think the 15-pin model is correct for all '92 model year and later paralever airheads.

I think the SM-1 model is the correct replacement for the 3-pin relay used on monolever and earlier paralever airheads but you need to install small return springs in the handlebar switch to bias the toggle to the off/neutral position to get the benefits of the selectable automatic turn signal timeout feature.

I think some the dual-shock airheads used the same 3-pin relay as the monolevers and others used 4-pin relays. Easy to see the differences......

thanks all

Hi Mark thanks for taking the time to help,if I fit one I only care about the cancelling feature, over 20 years ago, my flasher unit stopped making the tell tale light flash, as I always ride with a tank bag, most of the time I could,nt see the dash light, but the original voltmeter would flicker with the turn signals, so since installing a new clock and voltmeter set, christmas present ,the new voltmeter is damped and as much as I stare at it, dosent move, 20 year old habits die hard,so off on family holidays this weekend to Ireland, England,Paris, Normany beaches, and back to england,then home to Canada mid August will revisit it then ,and will advise then ,thanks all, have a great summer and ride safe Jimmy:wave

Back