• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

St. Paul Rally, travel advice please

bhbutler

I'm coming in from the northeast, down through Sault STe. Marie and am looking for advice between 2 routes once in the U.S. One is to take highway 41 across to 8 and come into St. Paul from the north, the other is to take 41 down to 29 and across to Interstate 94 and into St. Paul. My suspicion is that the interstate will be crazy busy coming into the city and taking 8 may be a better idea.
Can anyone who has travelled the area advise please?

cheers!

If it were me, I'd take the route in from the north. Highway 8 basically ends at I-35, but I-35 south into Minneapolis/St. Paul would be an easier ride than via 94. I've done it both ways when riding home from different parts of Wisconsin.

You'd have to come south on either Highway 61 or I-35. I'd take I-35. That'll get you much closer to the rally site quicker. Nothing wrong with 61, but you'll have stoplights and such to deal with that aren't on I-35. If you get on 94 in Wisconsin, you'll have to ride all the way through the city of St. Paul. Might as well same a little stressful riding, and come in from the north.

Just my 2 cents.

If it were me, I'd take the route in from the north. Highway 8 basically ends at I-35, but I-35 south into Minneapolis/St. Paul would be an easier ride than via 94. I've done it both ways when riding home from different parts of Wisconsin.

You'd have to come south on either Highway 61 or I-35. I'd take I-35. That'll get you much closer to the rally site quicker. Nothing wrong with 61, but you'll have stoplights and such to deal with that aren't on I-35. If you get on 94 in Wisconsin, you'll have to ride all the way through the city of St. Paul. Might as well same a little stressful riding, and come in from the north.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Brad, appreciate the advise .

another option, not the quickest.

Take 8 into MN
Then head south on HWY 95 to HWY 36 west. Traffic on 36 is the worst going into town in the morning and out of town in the afternoon.

Stay alert on 8. Deer and drivers crossing the center line.

Steve

Travel Advice

I agree on the Hwy 8 or Hwy 36 routes. I-94 just east of Hudson, WI has some very slow single lane traffic due to construction.

Dave Long

Franconia sculpture park (US8&MN95)

another option, not the quickest. Take 8 into MN. Then head south on HWY 95 to HWY 36 west. Traffic on 36 is the worst going into town in the morning and out of town in the afternoon. Stay alert on 8. Deer and drivers crossing the center line.

Yes, do take MN95 south off Hwy8 ..but as you turn onto 95, you'll see some strange big stuff in the grassy field to the SW. That's Franconia Sculpture Park [search Google Images]; entrance/parking <1/4 mile on 95; Free. Stop; check it out for 5-15min walkabout (OK in riding gear). A brief refresher from your ride ;)

Franconia-boombox-tower.jpg
Duane S [StP]

Back