• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Leaking tranny oil through the clutch lever assembly

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The bike: 88 R100 RT. The issue: I'm leaking tranny oil through the clutch lever assembly at the back of the transmission. It's dripping down the clutch lever, but is not leaking from beneath the rubber boot. Although it's not dripping a lot, it's stinking up the whole garage. So, I need to fix it to keep the better half happy. Should I replace something else other than the rubber boot?

Last edited:
Have you checked that the vent bolt that holds the sped cable in is clear? You can blow it out with compressed air or clean it out with a wire.

The '88 has a different arrangement than the earlier bikes. According to the diagram, the boot is the only sealing part...nothing on the inside.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0469&mospid=51666&btnr=21_0086&hg=21&fg=51

The push rod does have a seal (in the end of the input shaft)that keeps oil from migrating towards the clutch. This wouldnt be the problem.
Check the neutral switch and especially the drive shaft boot for leaks. Oil leaks have a way of moving around.

Have you checked that the vent bolt that holds the sped cable in is clear? You can blow it out with compressed air or clean it out with a wire.
I'll give it a quick look next time I'm out there.

Check the neutral switch and especially the drive shaft boot for leaks. Oil leaks have a way of moving around.
I don't see how the neutral switch or the drive shaft boot can cause oil dripping down off of the clutch lever at the rear of the transmission, since both are below the clutch lever.

I don't see how the neutral switch or the drive shaft boot can cause oil dripping down off of the clutch lever at the rear of the transmission, since both are below the clutch lever.

My clutch lever end is under the driveshaft boot. Perhaps yours isnt.

My clutch lever end is under the driveshaft boot. Perhaps yours isnt.

Well, it's been a while since I've looked back there, and from the left side of the bike, it didn't look that way. But yes, it's underneath the driveshaft boot. Thanks for the suggestion. For better or worse, the driveshaft boot is dry--na that's better. Replacing that boot is a royal pain.

Back