• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Other riders who prefer to travel solo?

There was an ad floating around the web sometime ago that I thought was to the point. After listing the virtues of his almost new motorcycle in a classified ad the seller said. "Must sell. Evidently when my wife says, 'Do whatever the #@&*! you want to,' it doesn't mean what I thought it did."

There was an ad floating around the web sometime ago that I thought was to the point. After listing the virtues of his almost new motorcycle in a classified ad the seller said. "Must sell. Evidently when my wife says, 'Do whatever the #@&*! you want to,' it doesn't mean what I thought it did."

Now THAT is funny!!!

I have the BMW tank bag on the bike. When I need them for a long trip, I can attach the BMW saddlebags, and the small rear bag. They hang in my garage, ready to be attached. But I almost never need them around the town.

Some very interesting replies. Some of you are the type of folks I really enjoy talking with out on the road.

With regard to packing, in about 32 of traveling on bikes I take even less today than I ever have. Modern fabrics have made it even easier to pack light and take less. In a few weeks I am riding from my home in eastern Washington to Venice Louisiana and then following the Great River Road north to the headwaters of the Mississippi River at Lake Itasca Minnesota. I will be on the road a few weeks and travel in 22 different states. I will be riding a GS Adv with the aluminum panniers and top box. Even with my rain gear, Gerbings liner, etc., I will use less than 1/3 of my storage capacity. I am going to be using motels this trip, but even when camping two up everything fits inside the boxes unless I take a tent that is too long to fit inside a box and strap it to the top of a box. For me, traveling with less makes the trip even more enjoyable a few different ways.

Sounds like it is gonna be a great trip. I'll do my very best to keep all the gear to a minimum. Not sure I can keep 2/3's storage empty but ya never know. At least it's an objective. All the best...

Interesting question...

I am curious as to how many other riders prefer to travel solo, at least with no other bikes if you have a pillion?

I just returned from a short trip, and am getting ready for a longer one in a few weeks. Lately when traveling I have noticed quite a few other solo riders, or just a rider with a pillion. From my perspective while there still seems to be more folks that are riding in groups of varying sizes, it seems like I am seeing more solo folks. If you are a rider that prefers to travel solo I would genuinely enjoy hearing why.

My daughter is my favorite pillion, and she has about 60k miles as a passenger with me. I really enjoy riding with my wife as pillion as well, but she doesn't enjoy longer days on the bike like my daughter does. In a few weeks I am going to be heading out on a few week ride and my daughter (now 13) was planning on going. She is a heck of an athlete and unfortunately a team commitment is going to keep her from being able to go. While I am sad that she won't be going, I am also looking forward to being on the road alone.

I have always preferred to travel solo on a bike. The last time I tried traveling with a couple of other bikes we ended up parting ways after a few days as our energy and outlooks were just too different. I was no doubt making their ride less enjoyable, as they were mine. I have a very flexible schedule, and an extremely understanding spouse. I consider that a luxury and like to take advantage of it and be somewhat free spirited when traveling. If a local at a gas station tells me about some cool sight off the beaten path I like the ability to just decide to go without any discussion, or worrying about making it to the days destination based on a regimented itinerary. I think I am approached by more folks while traveling solo too, and I've met some great folks and had some great conversations because of that. When my adorable daughter is riding pillion I know we get approached by more folks for sure.

Most days I wake up, anxious to get on the bike. On other days my energy level may be different and I don't feel like a long day on the bike, or I find someplace cool and want to linger a bit. It may seem selfish or self centered, but I really like being able to easily adapt based on what I want to do, without worrying about another rider. In Mexico a few years ago I met a German tourist on a BMW and we hit it off and ended up riding together for a few days. That was really enjoyable. It was random and not planned though. I know that traveling with someone else offers some advantages with regard to safety and convenience. I think a small part of my enjoyment of going it solo though is knowing I am reasonably prepared and able to handle whatever may come up on my own, and being pretty self reliant.

Based on what I have been seeing, I know there are others out there that travel solo, whether by choice or circumstance. I would genuinely enjoy hearing about some of you.

Jeff - I'm another who more often than not finds myself traveling solo. Circumstances, self-reliance, preferences, practicalities all play a part.

I have friends who have different traveling philosophies than I, so it makes it hard for me to travel with them. For example, I'm not at all interested in the "mileage-hounds", those whose conversation is all about how many miles they can ride in a day. I'll leave that to them. Although I may travel 500-600 miles on a long day, I'm just as likely to choose not to. I like for it to be my own decision.

I like to eat three meals a day and I like to occasionally stop and take photos. Both can slow down some riders or groups.

Other riders often count on sharing a motel room in order to minimize the cost of travel. I have a wife with whom I share at home, but I may not want to do so with friends or casual acquaintances traveling together. I've lived in dormitories, barracks, and on-board construction vessels and simply don't have to do that any more. I figure if I can afford a new BMW GS, I can afford my own room.

I've ridden alone across Europe and Central Asia, to Alaska, and in much of the continental USA. No real problems. The one accident I've had was due to fatigue, at the end of a long day, which had been extended due to circumstances of the other riders in our small group. Of course I was fortunate to have them with me when I went down, but in my head the root cause was related to not being on my own and calling my own shots. I should have stopped earlier and not been pressing on.

I do like to visit with people I meet along the way, other riders, and am not really much of a hermit. I do tend at times to be a loner since I'm OK with making decisions and knowledgeable of the places I travel.

Again, interesting conversation, so thanks for starting the thread.

Mike

Extremely interesting reply Mike. You and I share very similar reasons for riding solo and you said it very well.

"Eclectic" seems to be a buzzword. My tastes and desires can probably be more accurately described as "spastic". There are times I don't want to get off the bike and racking up some miles and just enjoying the bike are what makes me smile. There are other days where I may have an idea of a destination for the day in mind. I may get 100 miles down the road and find what I think is a great spot and stop for the day. That doesn't work with companions.

A lot of folks seem to want to say " I've been there and have the T-shirt to prove it". I tend to avoid most big tourist attractions and the crowds. I love back roads and avoid interstates. I have a rule about not eating at a chain place when on the bike. I tend to like things like Yelp to help me find places the locals like.

Like you I enjoy pictures. I recently got a Gopro and put some mounts on the bike and am enjoying playing with it a bit. I used to haul a big pro body DSLR and several lenses and filters but don't so much any more. Pictures from past trips still put a smile on my face.

Every now and then I get a really enthusiastic wave from another rider. Often they're also on a GS. In my mind I always figure they are someone like you that enjoys going it solo on the roads less traveled.

Me too, eclectic. Wife rode when I rode the R50/2 years ago. Then 1st child came, and she stopped.

Every bike I owned since then had a back seat cover, save this one. This one has no back seat, and no rear pegs.

I can add them if I want to, I just don't - why would I!

All of the above!

Jeff,

We travel in much the same way.:laugh Like you, when I see another GS-er on the road and wave, I suspect he's similarly motivated.

I also play with a GoPro and photography and like to make a montage now and then to record and be able to share the trip. People have a short attention span, so I boil down video and photos to just a few short minutes.

Here's a short film about my first big solo trip when I was living in Europe. It set the scene for all the travel since: https://vimeo.com/76221629

I enjoy both modes. Yes when alone, I tend to wander more, stop to take more pictures, and maybe a few more roadside naps. But I have a lot of fun riding with some select friends too.

It is a hoot riding with a few equally skilled and like minded riders, charging up and down twisty mountain roads. Eating habits mesh, road preferences mesh, and the comradery is nice at the end of the day. The problem is finding those riders that are compatible.

I have one friend that I enjoy riding and taking some trips with. Unfortunately his time is more limited. Even if he was available to ride all of the time, I would still want a lot of solo time, or time with just my wife or daughter. Camaraderie can be nice, but I get enough of that when not on the bike that I don't tend to crave it when on a trip. I am pretty outgoing and do enjoy going to local hangouts and striking up conversations with local folks, or other travelers though.

Mike, your video is great! You did an amazing job of selecting great music to go with the subject matter too.

How does everyone feel about big cities? I tend to avoid them unless there is a compelling reason to visit a part of one. On my upcoming trip I am planning to stop in Memphis because I am a big music fan and want to check out some blues clubs. St. Louis for some doughnuts, the French Quarter just to see it. Overall I try to avoid those big dots on the map that indicate a big city, and the major roads in and out of them.

Something very satisfying for me, as a foodie, is to find a great mom and pop place that puts out some great food. There are some real treasures out there, and they typically are found on two lane roads.

I Like to travel by motorcycle. Doesn't matter if it's solo, two up, or in a group of a couple friends... Whatever.

Solo: I Know I like myself, Etc. No problem.

Two up: Girlfriend and I both are about the same as far as "butt-n-bladder tolerances", and we like the same food etc. She'll camp if it comes down to that (rally etc) BUT if we go out long distance, we might stay in less expensive motels etc, but usually spend a couple days along the way pampering ourselves. I'm happy to have her along if she's happy going.

Groups: I have a couple friends who might be able to travel. A couple good, no- really good friends. On the rare occasion when we could travel together, it worked out great.

To me, it all comes down to planning IF you are gonna choose to travel "together" with someone. Eliminate surprises, COMMUNICATE, MAKE a PLAN...
BUT agree to allow for contingencies- like when you meet that stranger at the gas pump with a good local suggestion. With the World Wide Web at my fingertips, I know it's possible to pretty much nail down a trip almost completely. There really isn't any excuse for having a bad time out on The Road.

IF I am going to ride along with *others* then I know I'm doing exactly that, and it's not all about ME. So I choose to remain flexible and understand others' needs, wants, etc. If you "choose" to make room for others, then choose to do it. If not, then don't pretend it'll be OK then have it crash and burn along the road somewhere.
OTOH, no way would I make a plan to travel with anyone other than close friends whom I KNOW well.

Same page...

I have one friend that I enjoy riding and taking some trips with. Unfortunately his time is more limited. Even if he was available to ride all of the time, I would still want a lot of solo time, or time with just my wife or daughter. Camaraderie can be nice, but I get enough of that when not on the bike that I don't tend to crave it when on a trip. I am pretty outgoing and do enjoy going to local hangouts and striking up conversations with local folks, or other travelers though.

Mike, your video is great! You did an amazing job of selecting great music to go with the subject matter too.

How does everyone feel about big cities? I tend to avoid them unless there is a compelling reason to visit a part of one. On my upcoming trip I am planning to stop in Memphis because I am a big music fan and want to check out some blues clubs. St. Louis for some doughnuts, the French Quarter just to see it. Overall I try to avoid those big dots on the map that indicate a big city, and the major roads in and out of them.
and
Something very satisfying for me, as a foodie, is to find a great mom and pop place that puts out some great food. There are some real treasures out there, and they typically are found on two lane roads.

Jeff, I'd say we're still largely on the same page.

I avoid interstates (called motorways overseas) and large cities if possible. To me the real fun of road trips comes from riding two-lane blacktop, seeing small towns, architectural antiques, oddities, local culture, etc.

I rode to Indy two years ago to meet friends at the MotoGP. While I did go through Memphis, in general I managed to avoid superhighways and cities and fast food. I may be stretching everyone's patience, but I happen to have a video that captures the mood of the trip. This one includes a few short segments from the GoPro:

I'm leaving next week for a leisurely ride to St Paul for the MOA rally, so planning a similar route. In other words, one that avoids all those things many riders like to avoid!

Ride safe and enjoy!

Mike

Enjoy the rally and the trip to and from Mike. I will be through St. Paul towards the end of August.

I do enjoy a couple of different pillions. My wife and daughter. My wife only has about a 400 mike butt no matter what, so we plan for that. My daughter has done up to 1,500 miles with me in a day and would have done it again the next day. Though traveling with each of them is very different, I do enjoy both immensely. I have always enjoyed solo travel too, and come to crave it from time to time. Other than once in Mexico I have never felt unsafe.

That is another great slideshow Mike. Well chosen and timed music.

We have so many towns in AZ that look like that in the video. We ride to those towns to eat, walk and sight see.

I have ridden all over the US by myself, and I have ridden all over the US with one or two buddies. I enjoy both. I have never used any noisemakers (music or radio or CB or whatever) because I cherish the solitude of riding alone and talking with God while I ride. The actual riding part is pretty much solitude, regardless of how many are in a group, but when you stop for a meal or an overnight, that is when I miss not having a fellow rider to talk about what we saw that day. BTW, I am leaving Monday for a run around the Dakotas, and will be solo.

As Royce said - the only time I sometimes miss having a fellow rider is when the day is over and It's time to kick back. Other than that, I'd rather ride solo and enjoy the solitude of the ride itself.
There was only one buddy that I really rode well with years ago and we had many pleasant trips together, but once he hung it up I rode with a few other guys but it never clicked.
I've been riding on my own for quite awhile now, and I like that just fine.

Well said Firenailer.

Every now and then when enjoying some great road food after a day of riding I have somewhat missed having someone to talk with. Not often though. I have learned some great local info from locals at eating places. I even enjoy eating my food and checking out the locals and what they are talking about.

I think for some of us it takes being comfortable in our own skin and being okay with being solo. I spent over 30 years in Alaska and rode all over seeking solitude. Hell I even learned to fly and bought a bush plane so I could get away. It's always great to see my family after a trip, but I know I return home as an even better husband and dad because of my time traveling alone.

Good point Jeff,

Very often when I'm traveling solo, the locals will often start up a conversation, and very often those conversations lead to some totally unexpected place to stop along the way.

That rarely happened when I was traveling with a buddy or two. I also like getting a chance to talk to some of the locals and learn a little bit about how they see the world. Very often it's a far different view than those of us in Metropolitan Areas see it.

I like that!

Solo

Post #39 "I'm very difficult to get along with."
And "I don't ride well with others. You wouldn't enjoy it" (True also) are the best replies when someone asks to tag along or you are asked to tag along. Polite and to the point. Don't want to be rude, but I really enjoy solo. I used to bumble back a reply because I didn't know what to say as "no thanks" wasn't good enough sometimes.
Best not to leave first as Murphy will make you break down just down the road a bit, if you don't fall down in the parking lot first.
Charlie

Back