• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F700GS Vs the G650 GS ?

RTB781

Hi
I have been looking for a lighter bike. I am still happy with my R1200GS but when I want a little something different
I have had treasonous thoughts of selling my old R80 in favor of either the F700GS or the
G650 GS. I have been fortunate to have a little time on both. Very similar indeed, but I think
I am leaning toward the G650GS as I am partial to thumpers. I had an old Suzuki 500 single
that I really liked until I would kill it at a red light!

Any thoughts?

Bob in Northern Illinois

I have a 2012 F650GS twin, now called the F700GS, and two F650GS thumpers...an 06 and a 07. The singles and the twins are very different, but a blast to ride regardless. If my twin needed to be replaced with a similar sized bike...it would probably be a thumper. Good luck in your search! You'll be happy regardless. :)

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk HD
runnr548 :)

Ride both for yourself. The parallel twin felt like it had a much higher center of gravity. it's only a little heavier than the 650 but the weight is in the wrong place. Love my Sertao!

Getting rid of the R80 may be the hard part as they are great bikes. I did finally let my 1983RT go and ended up with a 1998 R1100R and a 2002 F650GS. As no bike does everything well I have a great combo. Nice road bike with cases to travel and camp with a minimal windshield to enjoy the world and a thumper to explore the dirt roads that is lighter and still capable of a high speed (for me) run on the slab when I need to get to some where. I haven't ridden the twin but perhaps it would be ONE bike for my two? So far I haven't missed the RT which was a pavement only bike and best on long rides.

Hi
I have been looking for a lighter bike. I am still happy with my R1200GS but when I want a little something different
I have had treasonous thoughts of selling my old R80 in favor of either the F700GS or the
G650 GS. I have been fortunate to have a little time on both. Very similar indeed, but I think
I am leaning toward the G650GS as I am partial to thumpers. I had an old Suzuki 500 single
that I really liked until I would kill it at a red light!

Any thoughts?

Bob in Northern Illinois
The ADV "Thumpers" thread sticky, for G650GS's has some recent posts from "Mosey", a newer rider in NYC that rode his 650 a year then recently bought the "other bike" your asking about. Visit him and ask his thoughts. Just go back a few pages and see the graphite grey MC. More zoom indeed.

And the winner is?

Finally, I made a decision. Got up Saturday AM and rode my R80 to Countryside BMW. Traded the R80 for a 2014 G650GS. Yes, it was hard to let her go and we had a lot of great times together, but all things come to an end. I could not be happier! I'm getting a "little" older and really appreciate the lighter C650GS.
Not going to rush in too fast with too many farkles.

Great choice and congratulations! Yesterday I rode both my 1998 R1100R and my 2002 F650GS and I gotta say the thumper is a great all around bike. I am 65 and 5 ft 7 inches short and though both bikes fit me the F just seems more manageable. My R80RT was much more top heavy and even though it probably did not weigh much more than the F, it certainly felt it. Garage tip overs were always just a brain fart away. I never feel that way with the F. Perhaps I could trade both these for a new Thumper. Naw- not going to happen yet.

Which Windscreen and tankbag

Thanks for the well wishes RD. I have you beat by 8 years and like you seem to be a snow bird, as we winter in Santa Rosa California, an area that I think has the best roads year around. Mountains, Redwood trees and the Coastal highway are very short rides away.

Now I have to start my search for the best accessories, such as which windscreen, which tankbag are best.
Anybody care to offer their input here ?

Windshield and tank bag et al.

Congratulations Bob.

I am very happy with the Wolfman, Mt Rainier tank bag purchased from the Rider Wearhouse/Aeorstich and I went with the tall windshield screen (I am short) from National Cycle. I have the shorter screen that did not work for me as well. Please feel free to PM me on other stuff - chain oiler, solo seat, bags and other stuff.

Do not go to the Chicago Bike Show in the winter - it gets very expensive when it comes to farkles.

This is a great bike that just took me from Michigan to Prudhoe Bay to Key West and back to Michigan.

Wayne Koppa
#71449 Life

Back