• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil and Filter Change on 1974 R75/6

jeff652

As I am awaiting delivery of my new master cylinder and sorting out wiring challenges, I recognize that my bike needs to have all lubricants changed since I have no idea how long they have been in it. Oil changes are cheap insurance against costly failures and I am a big believer in them to the point of redundancy. I have no idea where to start as far as what brand of filter kit and where to buy. Also, I need to know what lubruicants to use. I have read that Shell Rotella 20W-50 is a high zinc oil suited for old airheads. Please weigh in on this. Also, what are your preferences for gearcase lube, shaft lube and rear-end lube?

I know I have opened a can of worms and facing multiple opinions, but you folk have forgotten more than I know and I am hungry for knowledge, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated! :ear

Not sure where you're located but I order my filters from northwoods airheads. I think you'd be fine with that shell rotella (I'm running Mobil 1 V-Twin )

I'd stick with a Dino oil for tranny and final drive. My FD was seeping a bit with Mobil 1 but switching back to generic Dino lube stopped it. Ymmv. (74 R90/6)

As soon as I can figure out the account information, I'll put my location (Dothan, Alabama) and...hopefully...an avatar. This is not my first rodeo with forums but my mind is like that of a goose, I awaken to a new life every day! :doh

BMW dealers will have the correct oil filter. Rotella is not what it used to be as it has had it's Zinc levels reduced in recent years and it is a 15W40, but still a good product.

I don't want to start any oil threads, but you want oil that does not say energy conserving on it. Higher Zinc levels are good, at least 1200 PPM. 20W50 is probably better for the older machines. Valvolene ZR1 has a good Zinc level as does Castrol Edge, Motul makes oil with a good Zinc level.

Synthetics while good will probably find places to leak where regular petro oils will not.

Our forum administrator, Kurt (20774), conducted a really neat oil analysis awhile back. He compared a number of oils based on the most important parameters. The entire thread is a few pages- the PDF graphs with the results and comparisons are located on page six, posts 83-86: forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?63581-Oil-Analysis-Update

I recently purchased Enduralast filters from Euromotoelectric (www.euromotoelectrics.com)- they appear to be of comparable quality as the BMW filters. Time will tell.
:beer

As soon as I can figure out the account information, I'll put my location (Dothan, Alabama) and...hopefully...an avatar. This is not my first rodeo with forums but my mind is like that of a goose, I awaken to a new life every day! :doh

Welcome to the forum! I didn't know that about geese!! That might have its advantages!!! :banghead

Aw shucks, I'm just a southern boy and that was the best way to say that I am clueless on where to start. Each post increases my knowledge and is very greatly appreciated!:rolleyes

Welcome aboard BUD........Old guy over by Rome, Ga here........lol.....I always considered myself an "old goat" til the other day at the local garbage drop off point when I was telling a fella what I thought of his driving ability for blocking the way through. He advised me that I am just....an "old coot"......yes, kinda fits

Anyway........you have chosen a really great year to get back on the road........for me, I have for 100's of thousands of miles used Castrol 20/50 motorcycle dino, with zero engine rebuilds. A quality 90 weight dino for the gears works great........Glad you have discovered early about the need to flush out the brakes on an annual basis....DOT 3 there............new brake line????..............Changed the fluid in the forks........???????
"Keep Em Flying" in the BMWMOA news has an article this month about forks and their maintenance. Worth the read and easy job to remove the bottom of the fork leg, clean, then put in new doughnut and seals......Maybe new gaiters

Have you discovered:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

Great guys and they don't mind spending time talking with you and giving advise on how to do stuff...........

Anyway, welcome aboard...........God bless......Dennis

Dennis:

I received a new master cylinder today from Max BMW so the brake fluid will be fresh and new. Also, the forks will be drained and refilled at the same time as they seemed to be compressing alot when I first rode it. Fluids are the life of a machine and I will feel much better about having fresh everything in her. She has so much potential to be a gorgeous machine and I will, in time get her there. I have the battery covers repainted and ready to install as well as beautiful BUMM mirrors ready to go. I worked on her saddlebags yesterday (Krauser) and they are ready to snap back on. After all of this is done, I'll detail her.

From what I have read, Castrol Power RS V-Twin 20W-50 has 1200 ppm of zinc and should be just right. Thoughts anyone? :scratch

Last edited:
The manual calls for 20w50. March 2013 Owners News has a revisit for oils...the Owners News are online.

Good catch. My hands aren't connected to my brain today so I typed a "40" instead of a "50." As Dan Quayle said, "A mind is a terrible thing to have...and then to lose."

Back