• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

jeffkruger

On August 1st I am going to ride from my home in eastern Washington to Venice Louisiana to follow the Great River Road north to Lake Itasca. I like small towns and will largely be staying close to the river. I will be along the river in Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I am a foodie. Any suggestions for regional cuisine or particular eating places would be really appreciated. Any must see sights or things to do would be great too.

Not sure of all the places ,but Alton Brown did this on tv Feasting on asphalt. You might look that up.

It's not a food place, but google House on the Rock. Go to the Images section. Keep clicking through the pictures, alot are repeats. The muesume is in different sections and you don't have to stay at the resort. It is eccentric, Believe it or not, P.T. Barnum, Colossal, Steam Punk and The secret Life of machines placed in one destination. Just watching the mechanical bands was amassing to me. Plan on a long afternoon to take it in, then you will wish there was more time left.
Frank

Not sure of all the places ,but Alton Brown did this on tv Feasting on asphalt. You might look that up.

Thanks. I actually own the Feasting on Asphalt GRR series on DVD as well as the book. That was one of my inspirations for wanting to do this trip. A few years ago my wife and I enjoyed a ride where we hit a bunch of places featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

It's not a food place, but google House on the Rock. Go to the Images section. Keep clicking through the pictures, alot are repeats. The muesume is in different sections and you don't have to stay at the resort. It is eccentric, Believe it or not, P.T. Barnum, Colossal, Steam Punk and The secret Life of machines placed in one destination. Just watching the mechanical bands was amassing to me. Plan on a long afternoon to take it in, then you will wish there was more time left.
Frank

Thanks Frank! Thatnsounds really cool.

The Great River Road to Itasca is a great ride!
Our state fish is the Walleye and just about any restaurant will have it on the menu, and get the wild rice side..........

Benson's in Walker for a great burger.
The 502 in Walker is a must for a walleye dinner and a awesome view of Leech Lake.
Ya sure, you betcha!

:eat

The Great River Road to Itasca is a great ride!
Our state fish is the Walleye and just about any restaurant will have it on the menu, and get the wild rice side..........

Benson's in Walker for a great burger.
The 502 in Walker is a must for a walleye dinner and a awesome view of Leech Lake.
Ya sure, you betcha!

:eat

Thanks Zygmund! I have been reading a bit about wild rice salads in your area and they sound really good. I will check out the 502 for sure and genuinely appreciate the info.

I don't like big cities, but am planning on overnighting in the St. Paul area. From what I have read there are some cool old diners and such in that area? What about around Bemidji?

It's a little ways off the great river road but the Irish Shanty in Gunder Iowa (Northeast Iowa) has a great burger, homemade three bean salad, and Guinness on tap. The roads are kinda nice up there also.

I could come up with a week's worth of bars and restaurants in the Twin Cities.

Go get a Jucy Lucy, from any number of places. (Jucy Lucy being a cheeseburger with the cheese cooked sealed inside two patties.)
Matt's Bar or the 5-8 club are supposed to be the 'originators'.
Lots of people swear by the Nook, or Blue Door.

Lots of more upscale places too, and I could name beer after beer after beer (and breweries!) but it depends upon your real goal.

There's a super dive Hot Dog place called "The Wienery" which I know was on Diners, Drive Ins And Dives, which is a cool (dingy) atmosphere. But it woudln't crack my top ten for "what to do in a single night.".

I could come up with a week's worth of bars and restaurants in the Twin Cities.

Go get a Jucy Lucy, from any number of places. (Jucy Lucy being a cheeseburger with the cheese cooked sealed inside two patties.)
Matt's Bar or the 5-8 club are supposed to be the 'originators'.
Lots of people swear by the Nook, or Blue Door.

Lots of more upscale places too, and I could name beer after beer after beer (and breweries!) but it depends upon your real goal.

There's a super dive Hot Dog place called "The Wienery" which I know was on Diners, Drive Ins And Dives, which is a cool (dingy) atmosphere. But it woudln't crack my top ten for "what to do in a single night.".

Thanks!

Great River Roadhouse in Desoto Wi.

Be sure to try the Great River Roadhouse in Desoto Wi. right on Hwy. 35 also known as the Great River Road. It's a fabulous place for lunch & dinner. The pizza's are awesome but trust me on this one try the Catfish Dinner in Garlic Sauce with all the trimmings. It's broiled in this special Lemon Butter Sauce with Garlic and it's sublime. It comes with a Salad, Coleslaw a side of Pasta & Garlic Bread along with your choice of potatoe.I dare you to eat it all and not have to take a nap afterwards. Be sure to check there FB page for there Summer hours.

I live 175 miles away and I've ridden there for dinner twice already this Summer.

Ride Safe & CYA in St.Paul,
P

It should be named The Great Food Road...........

Thanks Papple! I got hungry just reading your description.

Just North of there and East of the River in the Town of Chaseburg there's a really cool Eatery/Tavern called the "Hideaway". Hard to believe but he has some of the best sammies in the area. They serve a grilled Salmon or Tuna sammich on a Gormet Roll and with the Sweet Tater Fries you've got a meal. Oh did I mention they also have like a 1000 different bottle beers in the cooler, well maybe not that many but they are all tasty.

Viroqua more inland has a cool Farm to Table restaurant which is also worth checking out. It's called the "Driftless Cafe" and the menu changes daily. Check them out on Facebook for the days menu.

All of the ABC Roads in that area are worth checking out. Headed North on 35 between Prarie Du Chien & LaCrosse just take a right on any of them for some awesome twisties. One of my favorite detours is County Rd. D to Stuebenville, North on 131 to Gays Mills & Soldiers Grove and then back West on County Road C to the River should get you smiling. Then just head North to the Great River Roadhouse and tell them I sent you.

I could give you a ton of cool out of the way edible pointers but then you'd never make it to the Rally. Do you like Pie? Nah forget it and save it for the Twin Cities.

Ride Safe & CYA in St.Paul,
P

Thanks Papple. I will be coming through after the rally. I am leaving home (eastern WA) on August 1st to head to Venice Louisiana to start the GRR.

Farm to plate places are always a favorite. I appreciate all of the tips.

Great place!

Check out Unique Cafe inBoscobel, WI...great food, and run by a great guy named Doyle...he's been the cook every time we've visited...not to mention the eye candy!

Back