• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

St. Paul Saints

SPCLED

I will never ride enough
The St. Paul Saints baseball team will be playing a home game on Thursday the 24th at 7:05 PM. Midway Stadium looks to be very close (walking distance?) to the rally grounds. The team is owned by Bill Murray and I have heard that they have a great time playing and playing around while playing the game. I plan on attending the game. It is $1 beer night. I do hope it is within staggering distance.

Definitely within walking distance. Head south on the west side of Snelling Ave, can't miss it. The Saints games are always fun.

The St. Paul Saints baseball team will be playing a home game on Thursday the 24th at 7:05 PM. Midway Stadium looks to be very close (walking distance?) to the rally grounds. The team is owned by Bill Murray and I have heard that they have a great time playing and playing around while playing the game. I plan on attending the game. It is $1 beer night. I do hope it is within staggering distance.

Midway Stadium is walkable, sorta. If one could walk in/out the Fairgrounds 'marquee' entrance Snelling at DanPatch/Midway or Como at Underwood it would be 1.0 or 0.9miles. But AFAIK, those entrances are closed. So it's another 0.5mile up to Snelling at Hoyt (plus the walk south to your tent). If Hoyt is strictly for exit only, then it's another 0.5mi up/around to Larpenteur entrance (IOW 2.0mi, plus 0.5mi back south to your tent?).

Looking at GoogleMaps 'satellite' zoom-in view, it seems one could walk a shortcut from Como+service road across RR tracks to stadium ..but that would likely be trespassing (or not staggering-friendly). I've not been to a Saints game in years, but in earlier years owners Mike Veeck and Bill Murray (the 'psychological adviser') featured stuff like a pig carrying out the game ball, nuns giving massages or haircuts in the stands, double headers followed by triple-feature movie/party until dawn, etc ;-)

Duane S [fairgrounds neighbor]

[Edited] above text is partly incorrect; in the "Neighborhood FYI" thread I learned my album info-graphics Entry/Exit 'arrows' don't match the July ON p129 diagram: Hoyt off Snelling is 1-way IN ..and tiny print says "Vendor Entrance/Attendee Exit" at DanPatch onto Snelling. ~> So that shortens walking to Saints Stadium (or Como Zoo) ..not sure about pedestrian re-entry though.

Last edited:
We checked out their website, saintsbaseball.com and bought advance tickets for the game ($14 behind home plate). Looks like it'll be a LOT of fun!

We checked out their website, saintsbaseball.com and bought advance tickets for the game ($14 behind home plate). Looks like it'll be a LOT of fun!

Saints games are a hoot!
Food and drink are reasonably priced too!

Walking to the ball game

Is Snelling Ave. pedestrian-friendly? Looking at it on Google maps, it looks pretty busy and there doesn't seem to be any way across the railroad tracks other than it.
Any sidewalks?
Cheers,
Tony

Is Snelling Ave. pedestrian-friendly? Looking at it on Google maps, it looks pretty busy and there doesn't seem to be any way across the railroad tracks other than it. Any sidewalks? Tony

Snelling has wide sidewalks on both sides, so it's pedestrian-friendly, although you may be the only pedestrians ..but only because Snelling is a 0.4-mile-long overpass over rail-yards etc ..and so there's little reason for neighborhood folks to walk there. (Most of the time (except rush hour) there's not that much traffic anywhere around fairgrounds.) Zooming far in on GoogleMaps satellite view, there may be a shortcut across the tracks (unless they're fenced off), but it's likely not worth the hassle (or trespass?). Simply walking up on Snelling gives a westward view of Mpls skyline.

Re: any walkable shortcut to Saints Stadium? [post#5] Do not try a shortcut. Stay up on the Snelling west-side sidewalk. While on a grocery errand, I rode over there to check out the terrain along/below Snelling's west side around the industrial buildings and railroad: although I saw no fence near the tracks, there's a slope/ravine of tall weeds on the stadium side, then more buildings to hike around ..all to save maybe 100yds (stirring up skeeters/ticks or twisting an ankle on who-knows-what, and perhaps setting off security cameras/alarms).

Duane S

Midway Stadium is walkable, sorta. If one could walk in/out the Fairgrounds 'marquee' entrance Snelling at DanPatch/Midway it would be 1 mile. [snip] Looking at GoogleMaps 'satellite' zoom-in view, it seems one could walk a shortcut from Como+service road across RR tracks to stadium ..but that would likely be trespassing (or not staggering-friendly).

Last edited:
Back