• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TLH counterclockwise dep from DC +or- 9 Aug ?14

TravellingTartar

[Also posted in advrider]

Leaving Washington DC about 9 Aug. 90% sure I'm doing this (just pending one professional uncertainty).

Traveling North from DC either through Montreal or directly to Nova Scotia. From Sydney the ferry to NFLD and again by ferry to Blanc Sablon. From there, the usual HVGB, Wabush, old Gagnon, Manic 5 and down to Baie Comeau. Hope to stop in Tadoussac region for a day. From there through Montreal back to DC. Whole trip about 10 to 14 days.

About me: 54, BMW 1200 GSAW, experienced rider, rides at the speed limit, no crazy stuff, I stop often, enjoy the scenery but can easily put in a twelve hour riding day. Also, I?m a photographer (http://photo.excessnoise.com), so I stop to shoot for moose, bear, sunsets, sunrises, stars and even trucks. The good news is that I lived in the TLH region for about three years in the seventies, in the high arctic for about five years in the 80s and I?m originally from Montreal. Note that I may want us to take a small detour around the old city of Gagnon. We'd go about 30 miles into the woods to the old construction camp I used to live in (obviously, it's no longer there). Here are the coordinates if you want to look it up: 52.0303892 -67.7955823. You?ll know it?s the right place if you spot the abandoned runway. I went back in 1988, not since. My roots there go even further. My dad was one of the engineers that built the city of Gagnon in the late 50s. Oh, and I also lived for a while in Fermont (near Wabush). In short, I?ve eaten many a black fly dinner.

I was planning on going solo (with a sat tracker) but the missus (a Sicilian) read me the riot act. My deal was that I would still go alone if I found no one, but if I did, that I'd be delighted to share a few campfires. Note that I plan on camping and campfiring all the way. Okay, maybe just one hotel to take a proper shower before reintegrating civilization.

If you're potentially interested, easygoing but adventurous and unafraid to change plans as circumstance dictates, let?s connect. I'll know if I'm going 100% NLT July 14.

The truth is that I'd love the company!

Jim (aka Cemil)

PS (I?m in Europe from 6 to 13 July so I may respond less quickly then?)

Hope you have a net that is black fly proof if you're going to be camping that time of yea, you'll need it!!!!

Hope you have a net that is black fly proof if you're going to be camping that time of yea, you'll need it!!!!

Not sure how to respond to that one. Isn't that what adventure travel is about? I actually like sunrise with the smell of dew-drenched moss. I like the warmth of a campfire. And frankly, those of us who know that part of the world know how to cope with black flies. Sure, you might get a bite or two, but as long as you camp on a ridge and not by a muskeg, as long as you burn a nice green fire with lots of smoke as you're setting up camp and if you're smart enough to avoid setting up camp exactly at dusk (thus avoiding the mosquitos as well) then you're pretty much ok. Also, whether you camp or not, there are black flies. Stopping for a pee is all it takes. Here again, stop on a ridge where there's some wind and you're fine. And this is August. By August, much of the black fly population in Labrador and Northern Quebec have died off. I'll camp...

Last edited:
Not sure how to respond to that one. Isn't that what adventure travel is about? I actually like sunrise with the smell of dew-drenched moss. I like the warmth of a campfire. And frankly, those of us who know that part of the world know how to cope with black flies. Sure, you might get a bite or two, but as long as you camp on a ridge and not by a muskeg, as long as you burn a nice green fire with lots of smoke as you're setting up camp and if you're smart enough to avoid setting up camp exactly at dusk (thus avoiding the mosquitos as well) then you're pretty much ok. Also, whether you camp or not, there are black flies. Stopping for a pee is all it takes. Here again, stop on a ridge where there's some wind and you're fine. And this is August. By August, much of the black fly population in Labrador and Northern Quebec have died off. I'll camp...

Lovely post from someone who's obviously BTDT.
Cheers.
Shiny side up & bon voyage.

T-14

In about two weeks, on Friday the 8th of August, off I go. Solo it is... If any of you are on my route, give me a shout out.
Here's the route (subject to whimsical rerouting ).

Long Lop Ride

Best of Luck on your Ride. If Had not a small bulge in my disc lower back I would join in as I have friend,s and relative,s stretching from VA To St Johns and all stops in between. Lot's of HOT showers ect. I have one suggestion traveling N up 95 Do Not Hit the GW Bridge or approach before 10 am or after 2 pm . The CT side as I found out is stop and go for ever. Best times are SAT and SUN. fwiw
Ride Safe Dave

Best of Luck on your Ride. If Had not a small bulge in my disc lower back I would join in as I have friend,s and relative,s stretching from VA To St Johns and all stops in between. Lot's of HOT showers ect. I have one suggestion traveling N up 95 Do Not Hit the GW Bridge or approach before 10 am or after 2 pm . The CT side as I found out is stop and go for ever. Best times are SAT and SUN. fwiw
Ride Safe Dave

Thanks! Indeed, I'll avoid the GW altogether. I'll come in by the Verrazano. I have friends to see in NYC on the way up. Hope your back feels better soon!! Bummer.

Back