• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ethanol, Do you Avoid Using Gas Containing Ethanol?

I have zero place to buy pure gas yet several in area that sell E85-who buys that stuff & why? I see no incentive of any kind to use it?

Because if you tune your high performance street-strip car to run on it it's cheaper than race gas and has an octane rating in the neighborhood of 116. I know a few 2,000 hp street legal cars that run on e85. FYI a 2,000 hp car will accelerate from zero to 200 mph in less than 7 seconds.

Dennis,

You can track the commodity prices easily on the web. Since the peak in 2012, corn prices have .really dropped If you're not seeing that all your local feed supplier, someone is making a better profit are your expense and you need to use the invisible hand of the free market to help yourself. Or, be happy with the price at the local store.

The invisible hand has been replaced?With a political one.

Because if you tune your high performance street-strip car to run on it it's cheaper than race gas and has an octane rating in the neighborhood of 116. I know a few 2,000 hp street legal cars that run on e85. FYI a 2,000 hp car will accelerate from zero to 200 mph in less than 7 seconds.

IIRC, the octane was 108 in Iowa. Still pretty high. Even MOM for my burb says it makes more HP and torque with E85, but the mileage is horrible and not cost competitive with regular fuel.

Why not mandate that we all use methanol, because it makes more horsepower?

The problem is; a discussion about ethanol in motorcycles based on need has not yet been rationally debated by those who now require us by law to use.

Many years back, oh about a decade or three, some masterminds together with special political/corn growers and now empowered enviro/politicians decided they could do this thing, pass laws. Some manufacturers fell in line early just because, technical progress.

And it was done. Now we can but talk about it and it's effects. Seems backwards doesn't it? All is political in this post-postmodern era in which we find ourselves.

Imagine we motorcyclists discovered that if we applied ourselves we too could enter and change the course of political events to our political and economic advantage? Or we could just let stuff happen to us refusing to acknowledge what is happening. I use clean gas all the time except when on the road and can't find it. When the time comes that we go, by law, to E15 or worse, the rubber parts will deteriorate faster in the Dels, and there are more than a few.

As said before, there are about 10 million bikes registered in the US. At any given time a small percentage of these are being ridden. The possibility of these motorcycles polluting our air is less than miniscule. Therefore at the outset of ethanol use law, all bikes should have been exempted. There is no need for bikers to ride down the road secure in the assumption that we are saving the planet. Ethanol in bikes is a solution without a problem.

Have tried to not say anything political about a very real political topic. So, no response is needed.

Higher octane does not mean higher mpg. Octane is a measure of the ability to not pre-detonate. I remember way back before electronic ignition. At that time I was told and I do believe it is true that a gas engine will get the best mpg on the lowest octane it will run on without pre-detonation.

The above statements are of course just my opinion. If I have time I will try to find some facts.

Well, this won't help most people reading the forum but this one is 4 km from my driveway and there stuff does not have ethanol;

Canadian Tire Gas Bar

Address: 255 Garrison Rd, Fort Erie, ON L2A 1M9

Well, this won't help most people reading the forum but this one is 4 km from my driveway and there stuff does not have ethanol;

Canadian Tire Gas Bar

Address: 255 Garrison Rd, Fort Erie, ON L2A 1M9

Test it. AGAT, FLuid Life, Wear Check or even SWRI. I don't know how to respond to the difference between "not required to report above 5%" and "doesn't contain".

I don't mean to be adversarial. Truly.

I was implying: "why anyone would use E85 for a typical transportation purpose"?:brow- Not an effort to talk drag cars,etc..:nyah
Maybe we could discuss the use & effects of non-GMO corn vs. GMO corn, for ethanol production?
On topic:See #92!!! The OP's question is a very limited subject for many/most of us as there is nothing else to buy.:cry

I do agree with you that for normal every day use E85 has almost no practical usefulness. The irony I was trying to point out is that E85 was conceived by the tree huggers and whole heartedly embraced by the rubber burners.

I do agree with you that for normal every day use E85 has almost no practical usefulness. The irony I was trying to point out is that E85 was conceived by the tree huggers and whole heartedly embraced by the rubber burners.

If the E85 is being sold for a price which is 74.2% of regular unleaded (assuming E10), then you are paying the same $/BTU's. If the price of the E85 is more than that, it doesn't make sense to buy it.

Last edited:
Unless you need the octane. Then if you are tuned for it you can get "race gas" at thousands of fuel stations instead of going to the speed shop or dragstrip.

If the E85 is being sold for a price which is 74.2% of regular unleaded (assuming E10), then you are paying the same $/BTU's. If the price of the E85 is more than that, it doesn't make sense the buy it.

Around here, the corn fuel stuff costs MORE than pure gas...

Back