• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100GS Oil Filter Question

jclark83

I have a question about oil filters. I just did the first oil change on a new to me 1992 R100GS with oil cooler. The filter I removed was a HiFlo HF161. I am sure this is not the correct filter for the bike, the filter sets inside the engine case about 18mm. From what I am told by the previous owner this filter has been in the bike for about 2000 miles. I replaced with the proper BMW filter. What damage has been done to the engine?

Thanks

HF161 is the recommended alternate filter recommended on numerous web sites, so my guess is no ill effects have occurred

Back