• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Prince Edward Island

docjll

I'll be riding from Rochester, NY to PEI with my adult son in August (and annual, father-son trip), but have never been there before. Anyone have any tips? Any info would be appreciated

PS: I haven't posted on the forum in quite a while - so I apologise in advance, if I am posting this in a less than appropriate category.

Pei

Take in a Ceilidh if you can.
For interest sake, take the bridge on, and the Ferry off.
Visit down town Charlottetown and have a beer.
The College of Piping in Summerside has a Highland Gathering.
If you are a history buff. Its the birth place of Canada.
Have fun.

Actually take the ferry on and bridge off. Fee determined by mode of exit and the bridge is cheaper. I did a ride report last year from our trip around PEI and Nova Scotia on Advrider. Or go to blog- ok2blost.blogspot.com. Great German restaurant listed that you will pass. Have fun, my wife and I will be going to NS next year then on to Newfoundland then Labrador.

Agree with all of the above but also take lots of patience. August? There are going to be a LOT of old farts driving RVs they should have never tried to drive and gawking at the scenery and pulling off at any old place without notice.

The whole place is a post card so slow down and enjoy it along with them.

Ferry on and bridge off... unless you don't care about the ferry's cost increase. Bridge on and ferry off would be best if you want to venture on to beautiful Cape Breton Island (a few days minimum) Also, wait time is less coming from the island. Great camping, beaches and lots of nice little 'out of the way' spots. Don't worry if your side road narrows ... a lot... and you find yourself in a field. Always a friendly person to steer you right as well as chat a bit. Check out the festival schedule for August on their Provincial site. Coming from NY? If $ doesn't matter, there is the ferry out of Portland going to Yarmouth, NS but that puts you a good four hours away from bridge or PEI ferry. Not practical unless you want to enjoy meandering along the NS coast (make that two days rushing!). Still pricey option me thinks.

You'll enjoy PEI very much! - Bob (UPEI alumni)

Stop at the tourist information place at the bridge or up from the ferry and get the latest on what's going on. Take the tourist routes around the Island -- they are the curviest and most of them are fairly traffic-free. Eating out is good, especially in Charlottetown where it's mostly excellent. Take a walk around downtown and if the weather's nice there's outdoor dining along Victoria Row. Go to Greenwich Park and walk the floating boardwalk and the stunning beach, or if you don't want a long walk go to Basin Head beach. Have fun!
I live on PEI: winter's long, but summer's great!

Thanks, everyone. All good info. One last question: Does anyone know how long it will take to ride the entire circumference of PEI? I know from the tour guidebook that they sent, there are three, "scenic routes", covering each of the three segments of the island. I was planning on staying in Charlottetown, leaving in the AM and taking one day to do the entire ride around the island (then, staying in the same place the second night before leaving the next day). Does that sound reasonable???

Jim

Spud Butt Run

Thanks, everyone. All good info. One last question: Does anyone know how long it will take to ride the entire circumference of PEI? I know from the tour guidebook that they sent, there are three, "scenic routes", covering each of the three segments of the island. I was planning on staying in Charlottetown, leaving in the AM and taking one day to do the entire ride around the island (then, staying in the same place the second night before leaving the next day). Does that sound reasonable???

Jim

Hello. I am on PEI. Every September a group of us would circumnavigate the Island during our Spud Butt Run. It is possible to do what you suggest. Leaving at 6:00 AM you should make the round the Island run in ~ 12 hours. Depends on weather and how much you want to see. Have fun.

Hello. I am on PEI. Every September a group of us would circumnavigate the Island during our Spud Butt Run. It is possible to do what you suggest. Leaving at 6:00 AM you should make the round the Island run in ~ 12 hours. Depends on weather and how much you want to see. Have fun.

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate your taking the time to write. My son and I are leaving tomorrow (and hoping for good weather).

Jim

PEI-- Lobster

I'll be riding from Rochester, NY to PEI with my adult son in August (and annual, father-son trip), but have never been there before. Anyone have any tips? Any info would be appreciated

PS: I haven't posted on the forum in quite a while - so I apologise in advance, if I am posting this in a less than appropriate category.

A couple of years ago, there was a place called the Lobster Supper. It was formerly a large church turned restaurant. At the door, you tell them what size lobster you want, then go sit down. They bring a bucket of mussels, family-style vegetables, drinks, and your lobster. It was a really nice experience.

Back