• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Summer Glove Recommendations

twowheelsetc

I live in central Maryland and ride as often as I can get my butt in the seat. For summer riding I typically use summer gloves that have armor and are perforated (small holes for ventilation). The problem is I typically only get one season out of them before they rip or tear due to the thin material. Does anyone have any suggestions on gloves I can get more than one season out of but still have the ventilation? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks and stay safe......

Brian

Summer gloves do take a beating, much of it from perspiration.

I've had good results with BMW Rallye 3 summer gloves. They have held up well for me and provide decent ventilation, and have knuckle protection and Kangaroo leather in the palms.

Harry

Check out the Revzilla website. They show a lot of summer gloves and they have good information about them. Other on-line vendors may have good listings, too.

I've had a pair of Held Air Force (?) summer gloves for three years that have held (pun) up well. Fairly good ventilation and they look like they offer good protection. Held gloves are pricey but should be worth it over time.

pete

Quite pleased with my Sedici (CycleGear) Torino gloves. Currently a bargain on sale for $40. Lifetime guarantee.

Currently I mostly wear a pair of Racer kangaroo gloves which I also quite like, but the Sedici gloves definitely flow more air.

The fact that your gloves don't last a year without disintegrating speaks VOLUMES to me about their usefulness in a crash. Get some good deer skin, elk skin or kangaroo skin gloves and deal with a little warmth with the payoff being that your hands might survive a slide. I can introduce you to a lady rider who ground her left hand off to the wrist in a slide. Sorry for the harsh tone but atgatt is meaningless if the gear is no good.

" ... The fact that your gloves don't last a year without disintegrating speaks VOLUMES to me about their usefulness in a crash. Get some good deer skin, elk skin or kangaroo skin gloves and deal with a little warmth with the payoff being that your hands might survive a slide. I can introduce you to a lady rider who ground her left hand off to the wrist in a slide. Sorry for the harsh tone but atgatt is meaningless if the gear is no good. ... "

I agree with Paul's comment above. I wear Aerostich's deerskin gloves in the tan color (so they don't bleed black onto my hands). I've been down and slid on pavement for a considerable distance and the gloves survived--as did all the rest of my 'stich gear--and I walked away with nary a bruise or injury. I don't think they are hot at all and I've worn them in the Arizona desert in the summer at 100+.

Good luck.

If you watched the first MotoGP race of the year (Quatar I think) you might have noticed when Stephan Bradl crashed and slid across a gravel trap, sparks were coming from his gloves. (Night race) Your gloves should offer similar protection. There's more to it than "deerskin." Consider $200 a starting point.

I live in central Maryland and ride as often as I can get my butt in the seat. For summer riding I typically use summer gloves that have armor and are perforated (small holes for ventilation). The problem is I typically only get one season out of them before they rip or tear due to the thin material. Does anyone have any suggestions on gloves I can get more than one season out of but still have the ventilation? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks and stay safe......

Brian

BMW Summer Gloves, have lasted five years so far!

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had a pair of Held Air Force (?) summer gloves for three years that have held (pun) up well. Fairly good ventilation and they look like they offer good protection. Held gloves are pricey but should be worth it over time.
pete

+1 :thumb

Had mine for three years as well. They are so well fitted, that at a fuel stop, I can take out my wallet and credit card, without having to remove the gloves. The palms have metal studs that I'll get to use if I should ever go sliding down the road. As well, the left fore finger has a visor wiper blade, which frequently proves to be quite useful.

Held gloves are a cut above the rest, with BMW gloves a close second. Pay the price, but only have to pay once!

I am currently using the BMW Airflow 2's and they are on year two and holding up very well. The ventilation for this glove is good; however with the wind protection of the newer RT there is not much air that hits the hand to help with circulation.

On hotter and more humid days I will periodically alternate holding one hand into the airflow to help cooling. I would not hesitate buying these gloves again.

Scot

One more thought and I will step down off of my soap box. The pavement doesn't care about your comfort. It won't be any less abrasive because it's hot out. Road rash is a burn. Burns hurt. Google "rock the gear" for a good idea of how bad road rash can be.

I go have a pair of Held gloves. They are gauntlet gloves with metal studs. I use them in cooler weather. I've had them a while and forget what model they are.

I will look at Held gloves when it comes time to replace my summer gloves.

Harry

Many, many summers ago when the bike was newish I brought my '05 to the dealer for some warranty work. When the work was done they parked the bike outdoors in the sun. The sun made the grips very, very warm. I was wearing some Held lightweight gloves with metal studs in the palm when I went to retrieve the bike for the ride home. I didn't even get to the end of the parking lot before turning around and complaining that the heated grips were somehow stuck on. The tech came out and couldn't find anything wrong. Then I looked closer at my gloves. :blush

The hot grips transferred the heat from the sun warmed grips to my palms through the metal studs in a slow manner that felt exactly like the grip heaters coming up to temperature. How embarrassing.

I wound up with BMW GS summer gloves in spite of the BMW and GS markings. They fit better than any other I tried on. They also have kangaroo skin palms which I like. The down side is that they only last 4 or 5 seasons.

I love my Austrian made Racer gloves, sold in Fremont, CA. The perforated summer gloves fit like a glove, yes I said that, but they are the best fitting gloves I've ever had.

I don't know if these are summer gloves, but they certainly aren't insulated.

I picked these up while in Germany last year (they are available here as well) and got to try them a couple of weeks ago on a hot day.

The first thing I noticed was the comfort and the fact that no liner pulled out along with my hands.

Held Satu gloves...
Held%20Satu%20Gloves-L.png

This is my first pair of Held gloves (I always bought cheaper gloves...the Alpinestars I had two pairs of are utter junk). We'll see how these Held gloves hold up.

Back