• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tail light problem

kenfrancois

2003, 1150RT Tail light is not working. Stop light and turn signals OK. There was no voltage at the tail light socket. I jumped 12VDC to the socket and the bulb worked. The brake light did not run dim while the tail light was not on. No brake failure or general fault lights were on.
To get the tail light to work I ran a switched 12VDC wire to the tail light socket and removed the original feed to the tail light. From my schematic the original feed comes from the ABS controller.
Problem now is on first start of the day all warning lights go out as normal, but after a very short distance the general fault light will come on. If the bike is turned off and re-started the fault light will not come back on. The next day the re-start process must be repeated and the bike will operate normal the rest of the day regardless of how many times the bike is turned off and restarted.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

I'm struggling with a brake bulb stuck on. I get a bulb warning from my 2007 R1200GS now that goes off I had the tail light working properly then brake light stuck again. The switches on the 2007 are located on front brake lever and inside ABS pump for rear no switch at pedal. The brake light does increase with application.:banghead

2003, 1150RT Tail light is not working. ...
after a very short distance the general fault light will come on. ..

The General fault light indicates problem with brake or tail light, as per owner's manual.
There is some history of damaged wires in the left side main harness, just below the battery box, very difficult to access.
Damage may be associated with hinging up the rear sub-frame to get at transmission, flexing the harness.

You could test the tail light wire for intermittent break or short with ohmmeter and wiggle-testing the harness. It's the gray/white wire, from tail light to Pin 6 of the ABS connector under the tank.

An easier test before that would be to re-connect the tail light and do the wiggle test along the harness to look for any response.

This happened to me and at the time I could not find the wire break, but a BMW tech did: right under the battery box.

Thank you for your reply. The clutch was just replaced on the bike so the rear frame was tilted.
With your info as to where the wire runs I might have a chance finding it.

Thanks again for your help.

Back