• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do you remove the mirrors on a 2010 R12RT?

roborider

God? What god?
I realize this is a lazy post. I'm sure it is in the owners manual, or the net, or I could eventually figure it out. But I'm away from home, not near the bike.

My 2005 just had pop off side mirrors. These seem to be attached in some way that I did not discover in a cursory inspection.

Thanks,
Robo

Check the bottom black plastic off center, toward the tank, underneath the mirror for a small hole. Inside the hole is a torx (25 I think) unscrew it and remove the mirror glass. Once the glass is out you can remove the screws that are securing the mirror housing.
If you push the mirror all the way in at the top center you should be able to see the screw that secures the glass. Now replacing the mirror and finding the screw hole is another story!

Last edited:
Torx TX25 or Standard Star T25 Screwdriver

Hi Robo, Norton and IKChris,

Need a finish to this thread.... for mirror removal on my R1200RT

Of course this is to remove the mirror glass on my 2010 R1200RT.

I've located the hole underneath the mirror housing. It is quite small, 1/4" diameter, and set 1" closer to the tank than midline.

OK, with that said, is the screwdriver required a TX25 tamper-proof star screwdriver, or, is it a T25 star screwdriver? The net is confusing with regard to this, some post one listing, and post another photograph associated with it. It took me a few days to figure out that the TX25 has a star head with a 'dimple' in it, so that a standard T25 screw driver will not work in this case.

It's just that the suppliers of the TX25 tamper-proof star screwdriver can only be located in the U.K. and in Australia, for around $13-16 for the tool, and about $4-6 just for shipping.

Also, if any cousins out there have a photo of that 'home run' to the screw head, it will help me make the angle of that star screwdriver approachable, because things are in close proximity there, behind the mirror that is.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Robo and IKChris,

Need a finish to this thread....

I also, would like to remove the mirror glass on my 2010 R1200RT.

I've located the hole underneath the mirror housing. It is quite small, 1/4" diameter, and set 1" closer to the tank than midline.

OK, with that said, is the screwdriver required a TX25 tamper-proof star screwdriver, or, is it a T25 star screwdriver? The net is confusing with regard to this, some post one listing, and post another photograph associated with it. It took me a few days to figure out that the TX25 has a star head with a 'dimple' in it, so that a standard T25 screw driver will not work in this case.

It's just that the suppliers of the TX25 tamper-proof star screwdriver can only be located in the U.K. and in Australia, for around $13-16 for the tool, and about $4-6 just for shipping.

Also, if any cousins out there have a photo of that 'home run' of the screw hole, it will help me make the angle of that star screw approachable, because things are in close proximity there, behind the mirror that is.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Jim

Any Torx 25 screwdriver will do. I got mine at Sears. If you tilt the mirror up and shine a flashlight in the lower left quadrant of the mirror housing you can see the set screw that you will need to loosen. It's sort of a PIA but with patience it's a simple job.

Doug

you just need to angle the mirrors in the right angle to get the torx screwdriver to reach the bolt. It's tricky; i hate hte design but whatevs.

i think the manual only has how to get access to the turn signal bulb, and not the mirror removal. someone plz correct me if i'm wrong.

Why you ask?

I had to remove the mirrors, and gain access to the mirror mount flange.
These wind deflectors that I needed to install, have a mounting bracket that is custom cut to the front side of the mirror mounts.

Here's a few pics of that unapproachable 'screw', and it's proximity to the mirror glass, it is literally, right behind the mirror glass.
Once I exposed it, the rest came easy.

Just a few hints as to where your TX25 torx screwdriver has to hit.

Again, it is not a 'tamperproof' screw inside there, just a regular hex head torx screw head.

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0038.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

And now a few views of the mounted wind deflectors mounted in front of the mirror flange
from the left side of the bike.

IMG_0043.jpgIMG_0049.jpgIMG_0055.jpg

Ride safe!

You have to remove the mirrors to access the turn signal bulbs, so ...

no you dont, not in the 2010 models. the signals and parking lights can be accessed without removing the mirrors. i can dig up the page in the manual to prove that point.

that's how i replaced my parking lights with LED's. no mirror removal whatsoever.

Crick,
The hard surface that the mirrors are mounted to, is what I had to mount the steel plates to with an 8 mm bolt and lock nut, so that it would be secure enough for mounting the wind fairings.
But you are correct, in the uppermost inside corner of each mirror housing is the 4 mm inset/deep Allen head screw that holds on the turn signal light fairings.
Good catch, and I hope I did not confuse anyone.
Thanks all!

Back