• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Amazing incompetence?

grover1949

A little over a year ago, I bought a used BMW from a reputable group that reconditions them. After a test ride, while the bike was idling, I was going to flip the kill switch and the guy says, "Oh no. Don't do that." I didn't think anything of it. However, a little while ago I did accidentally hit the kill switch and, to my surprise, the bike kept on idling beautifully. The only thing the kill switch would kill is a bug that it hit at 50 or more mph!

Kill_Switch_2.jpg

Today I got into the wiring and found that either the PO or the reconditioner had soldered a jumper across the 3 wires going into the connector that then went to the switch on the right handlebar. 2 of them did join in the connector, so no problem. but the 3rd was supposed to go through the switch to be connected. I unsoldered their jumper, re-wrapped the wires and guess what? The kill switch actually does what it is supposed to!

Kill_Switch_3.jpg

Well, I kind of recognize the black/green wire, and the blue wire definitely looks like BMW issue, but I can't tell from the picture what year and model your bike is.

Last edited:
Year-Model

My error. 1983 R65.

I focused on the 3 jumped wires, as they ended up in the connectors that went to the kill switch on the handlebar. By the VOM and the wiring diagram, the kill switch did exactly what it was supposed to do: in the middle position, it connected those wires which then went to the coil primary.

The blue wire heads from the starter button to the relay.

Last edited:
"Oh no. Don't do that." - Sure sounds like he knew exactly what was in there...

On one bike I had (maybe the '97 R1100? I fergets...), the "wing" of the kill switch was so large that I accidentally hit it a few times. I filed it down to about half its original size, problem solved.

Yeah its too bad we don't have some distant planet like some Botany Bay in Space we can send these butchers to, be it a dealer, an independent shop or motorcycle owner.

This is what an independent shop specializing in the make did after installing a factory short shifter that would not fit. It would not fit because the clowns installing it had no clue what they were doing.

BTW, this is what it should look like not hacked up by an inbred.

This is where my arrogance and intolerance comes from, BS like this.

Last edited:
It is not "arrogance" to refuse to accept shoddy (polite euphemism) and/or incompetent workmanship.

I was told a few times that I was "creating a hostile work environment".
I'm tired of catering to the lowest common denominator.
"Who is John Galt?"

Find someone with a reputation and not afraid to charge for his work.

Otherwise, expect nothing.

You didn't touch the kill switch for over a year? :whistle

I wonder WHY he/they did that since it works as it is supposed to.

/Guenther

Good Question!

You didn't touch the kill switch for over a year? :whistle

I wonder WHY he/they did that since it works as it is supposed to.

/Guenther

Good question! I know that every connector and wire connection is now immaculately clean; maybe they had a bad connection and took the easy way out? Or, maybe there is a small break in a wire in the 31 year old wiring between the switch and the connector.

Back